Singer says ''I never wanted to be gay"

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Pearson never told anyone — his fans, his conservative Christian family, his wife — that he was gay. Until now.

I was scared of what God would think and what all of these people I loved would think about me,” the 35-year-old singer wrote in a letter to his fans that was first published by Religion News Service on Tuesday. “But if this honesty with myself about who I am, and who I was made by God to be, doesn’t constitute as the peace that passes all understanding, then I don’t know what does. It is like this weight I have been carrying my whole life has been lifted from me, and I have never felt such freedom.”

As the lead singer for the Christian rock group Everyday Sunday, Pearson is taking a risk by coming out. The band that he started has released several successful albums, including 2009’s “Best Night of Our Lives,” which not only did well on the Christian charts but also broke onto the Billboard Top 200.

Pearson’s public declaration could imperil that musical success, columnist Jonathan Merritt wrote for Religion News Service.

Several other Christian musicians who came out as gay — Ray Boltz, Anthony Williams, Jennifer Knapp, Vicky Beeching — have seldom played on Christian radio stations since acknowledging their sexuality, Merritt wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...comes-out-in-moving-letter-to-fans/?tid=sm_fb