Ethical Bankruptcy of Judge?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
A county judge in Oregon may lose his job after refusing to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies. A state judicial fitness panel is recommending the removal of Marion County Circuit Court Judge Vance Day for refusing to perform such ceremonies because of his religious beliefs. The panel has accused Day of discrimination based on sexual orientation and ethical violations.

The decision is now in the hands of the Oregon Supreme Court. A spokeman for the judge, Patrick Korten, tells CBN News that ethics charges against Day are being trumped up merely because of his views on marriage. Korten says Oregon judges like Day are not actually required to perform marriages, but they are allowed to do so at their discrection. "In the first place Oregon judges do not have to perform marriages. Many of them don't perform any marriages at all," Korten explained.

He pointed out Judge Day has not even been asked to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony, but he informed his staff to refer any such requests to other judges who are readily available to perform them if necessary. "The issue never came up. No same-sex couple ever called. And no one was ever referred elsewhere because they didn't need to be. And yet the Judicial Fitness Commission decided to charge him with a violation of ethical standards," Korten said.

Korten says Judge Day has been forced to sell his home in order to pay for his expenses throughout his legal battle.
Christian Judge Faces Ethics Charges for Marriage Views | CBN.com (beta)-

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I have a cousin who has worked at a large retail chain for years and because of his religious beliefs he was going to quit because they sold alcohol. My statement to him was this, "what is worse, working for a store that does the same thing all other stores do, or quitting and putting yourself in a position of not being able to support your family. He still works for the store .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If he doesn't want to do his job he should find another.

It states that they don't have to perform marriages and do so at their discretion. If it was a matter of all Oregon judges are required to perform marriages, then I would agree with you, but when they leaver it up to the discretion of the individual Judges, then this should not be happening as he is well within his rights.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Fire him, he is to be impartial on all matters if he is a judge.
If someone is knowingly gay and they come before that
judge will they be treated impartially? Now that we know the
judge has the views he has what other prejudices does he
have? See when we start picking and choosing at this level
it is more than an individual choice it is using the law to
enforce your personal view of it We have judges to ensure
personal views are not acted upon and that is not happening
here, Besides he is not upholding the law of the state and is
denying these people their right based on his religion.
Again it is time to insist all religion to obey the same laws with
no special privilege

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Fire him, he is to be impartial on all matters if he is a judge.
If someone is knowingly gay and they come before that
judge will they be treated impartially? Now that we know the
judge has the views he has what other prejudices does he
have? See when we start picking and choosing at this level
it is more than an individual choice it is using the law to
enforce your personal view of it We have judges to ensure
personal views are not acted upon and that is not happening
here, Besides he is not upholding the law of the state and is
denying these people their right based on his religion.
Again it is time to insist all religion to obey the same laws with
no special privilege
He pointed out Judge Day has not even been asked to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony, but he informed his staff to refer any such requests to other judges who are readily available to perform them if necessary.​
"The issue never came up. No same-sex couple ever called. And no one was ever referred elsewhere because they didn't need to be. And yet the Judicial Fitness Commission decided to charge him with a violation of ethical standards," Korten said.​
In bold , just so you don't miss it!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It states that they don't have to perform marriages and do so at their discretion. If it was a matter of all Oregon judges are required to perform marriages, then I would agree with you, but when they leaver it up to the discretion of the individual Judges, then this should not be happening as he is well within his rights.

Well, I guess that changes my viewpoint a bit. I do not believe Judges should have the discretion to perform or not perform legal weddings. But given this new information that they do, he should be free not to (as long as the law is what it is).

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Should be a blanket law any judge or government official that puts their own
religion above the services of the state should be fired period Religion should
be subject to the laws of the country period with no special rules saying that
performing wedding or working on the Sabbath is an imposition.
Want the job do the job

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Should be a blanket law any judge or government official that puts their own
religion above the services of the state should be fired period Religion should
be subject to the laws of the country period with no special rules saying that
performing wedding or working on the Sabbath is an imposition.
Want the job do the job

First off, idiot, religious people aren't the only homophobes around. Second, marrying anybody is not part of his job. Oregon Judges can marry or not. It is at their discretion. It's in the article. If you're too fu cking old to actually read and comprehend, get one of your grandchildren to read it and explain it to you.