Church of England threatens legal action against Christianophobic cinemas

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Church of England is threatening legal action against a group of cinema chains which have broken equality laws by banning the screening of a film in which the Archbishop of Canterbury and members of the public recite the Lord’s Prayer – because they say it could be offensive to movie-goers.

Odeon, Cineworld and Vue have refused to show the one-minute film the Church of England planned to run in cinemas across the UK before the new Star Wars blockbuster, which opens a week before Christmas.

The astonishing decision to block the film was made even though it was given a Universal certificate by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) – meaning anyone, of any age, can watch it – and approved by the Cinema Advertising Association (CAA).

Last night Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby reacted with fury, telling The Mail on Sunday: ‘I find it extraordinary that cinemas rule that it is inappropriate for an advert on prayer to be shown in the week before Christmas when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

‘Billions of people across the world pray this prayer on a daily basis. I think they would be astonished and deeply saddened by this decision, especially in the light of the terrorist attack in Paris where many people have found comfort and solace in prayer.

‘This advert is about as “offensive” as a carol service or church service on Christmas Day.’

The Church's chief legal adviser, Stephen Slack, warned that the cinema chains' actions
could ‘give rise to the possibility of legal proceedings’ under the Equality Act, which outlaws commercial organisations from refusing services on the grounds of religion.

Archbishop Welby's fury at cinema ban on 'offensive' Lord's prayer: Church threaten to sue after plug pulled on advert due to be shown to millions at Christmas

One-minute film of Lord's Prayer banned by UK's biggest cinema chains

It features Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and members of public

Odeon, Cineworld and Vue have refused to show it in lead up to Christmas

Church of England threatening legal action under religious discrimination

By Jonathan Petre for The Mail on Sunday
22 November 2015
Mail on Sunday

Angry: Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby reacted with fury to the decision by Britain's biggest cinema chains to ban the screening of a film in which he and members of the public recite the Lord's Prayer (pictured)

Britain's biggest cinema chains have banned the screening of a film in which the Archbishop of Canterbury and members of the public recite the Lord’s Prayer – because they say it could be offensive to movie-goers.

Odeon, Cineworld and Vue have refused to show the one-minute film the Church of England planned to run in cinemas across the UK before the new Star Wars blockbuster, which opens a week before Christmas.

Last night the Church of England threatened legal action against the cinemas, saying it was the victim of religious discrimination.

The astonishing decision to block the film was made even though it was given a Universal certificate by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) – meaning anyone, of any age, can watch it – and approved by the Cinema Advertising Association (CAA).

Last night Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby reacted with fury, telling The Mail on Sunday: ‘I find it extraordinary that cinemas rule that it is inappropriate for an advert on prayer to be shown in the week before Christmas when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

‘Billions of people across the world pray this prayer on a daily basis. I think they would be astonished and deeply saddened by this decision, especially in the light of the terrorist attack in Paris where many people have found comfort and solace in prayer.

‘This advert is about as “offensive” as a carol service or church service on Christmas Day.’

The Archbishop, who appears in the film walking through a park as his voiceover intones ‘Our Father in heaven…’, urged people to judge the advert themselves rather ‘than be censored or dictated to’.

The ban will heighten fears that Christianity is being pushed to the margins of society by political correctness, and the Church said it could have a ‘chilling effect’ on free speech.

A series of emails seen by The Mail on Sunday reveal that executives representing the leading cinema chains initially encouraged the film – which was to have been screened over two weeks before the main feature Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and would have been watched by an estimated five million cinema-goers.

Let us pray: Last night the Church of England threatened legal action against the cinemas, saying it was the victim of religious discrimination. Schoolchildren are pictured reciting lines from the Lord's Prayer in the video

The astonishing decision to block the film was made even though it was given a Universal certificate by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) – meaning anyone, of any age, can watch it

But the executives suddenly pulled the plug, saying that ads that reflected people’s political or personal beliefs risked ‘upsetting, or offending, audiences’ – even though they are backing a ‘global’ advert supporting UN policies on poverty, injustice and climate change with actor Liam Neeson providing what has been described as the ‘voice of God’.

Church officials drew up plans for the film to promote a new campaign to encourage more people to pray. It shows Christians from all backgrounds including weight-lifters, a police officer, refugees in a support centre and schoolchildren reciting or singing a line each of the prayer.

One participant, Ian McDowell, 50, a former bouncer who was ‘saved’ from a life of violence by ‘finding God’, and who co-founded the charity Tough Talk which preaches the Gospel in prisons, said: ‘It’s lots of different people saying a prayer, some people singing a line, I just don’t see how it can be offensive.’

The assistant secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra, said: ‘I am flabbergasted that anyone would find this prayer offensive to anybody, including people of no particular religious belief.’

Government watchdog the Equality and Human Rights Commission said it could not comment on individual cases, but added: ‘There is nothing in law that prevents Christian organisations promoting their faith through adverts.’

The emails show that the Church was in contact in spring with Digital Cinema Media (DCM), jointly owned by Odeon and Cineworld and which handles the majority of cinema advertising in the UK, and was told there should be no problem as long as the film was cleared by the CAA and BBFC.

In May, DCM even offered the Church a 55 per cent discount for a slot in the ‘ad reel’ that is screened before the seventh Star Wars film when it opens on December 18.

But three months later, the agency told the Reverend Arun Arora, the Church’s director of communications, that Odeon, Cineworld and Vue had vetoed the film, saying they could not carry ads of a religious nature.

The ban will heighten fears that Christianity is being pushed to the margins of society by political correctness, and the Church said it could have a ‘chilling effect’ on free speech. A still image from the film is pictured

At the end of August, a bemused Rev Arora spoke to Andy Edge, commercial director for Odeon and a board member of DCM, who agreed to try to resolve the issue.

However, in another email sent on September 16, DCM’s finance director Paul Maloney told Rev Arora: ‘Having fully looked into the matter, I am afraid we will be unable to take forward the proposed Church of England campaign … DCM has a policy not to run advertising connected to personal beliefs.

'Our members have found that showing such advertisements carries the risk of upsetting, or offending, audiences.

'We at DCM had first-hand experience of this risk when we and our members received considerable negative feedback from audiences following our decision to allow both Yes and No campaigners to run adverts in the lead up to the Scottish independence referendum.

‘Having learned from this … the board of DCM took the decision not to run any advertising promoting any religion or political views.’

The Church’s chief legal adviser, Stephen Slack, then wrote to the UK Cinema Association, an umbrella organisation that took over the dispute from DCM, saying the decision was ‘extremely disappointing’.

He warned it could ‘give rise to the possibility of legal proceedings’ under the Equality Act, which outlaws commercial organisations from refusing services on the grounds of religion.

However, the Association’s chief executive Phil Clapp said the DCM was within its right to refuse to show the film.

Rev Arora said: ‘In one way the decision of the cinemas is just plain silly but the fact that they have insisted upon it makes it rather chilling in terms of limiting free speech.’ Last night Communities Secretary Greg Clark said: ‘Religious freedom is a cornerstone of British values. The public will find it surprising, particularly at this time of year, that cinemas have reacted in this way.’

ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY: 'I DOUBTED GOD AFTER THE PARIS ATTACKS'

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby is pictured

Justin Welby has admitted that the terrorist attacks in Paris had made him doubt the presence of God.

The Archbishop of Canterbury said he was left asking why the attacks happened and where God was when the militant jihadis struck.

He said he reacted with ‘profound sadness’ at the events, particularly as he and his wife had lived in Paris when he was an oil executive.

Asked if these attacks had caused him to doubt where God was, he said: ‘Oh gosh, yes,’ and admitted it put a ‘chink in his armour’.

Appearing on Songs Of Praise, which will be broadcast on BBC 1 this evening, he said: ‘Saturday morning, I was out and as I was walking I was praying and saying: “God, why – why is this happening?

“Where are you in all this?” And then engaging and talking to God. Yes, I doubt.’

But he added that he nevertheless had faith that God was alongside people in their suffering and pain.

When asked what his reaction was to the attacks on the French capital, he said: ‘Like everyone else – first shock and horror and then a profound sadness. And, in my family’s case, that is added to because my wife and I lived in Paris for five years.’

But he warned against a knee-jerk military response, saying: ‘Two injustices do not make justice.

‘If we start randomly killing those who have not done wrong, that is not going to provide solutions.

‘So governments have to be the means of justice.’

The Archbishop first admitted last year that there were times when he questioned whether God existed.

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
reminds me of a time when fundies were boycotting elvis and then the beatles. shoe on the other foot here

all of which are somewhat isolated things and blown out of proportion by people with an agenda

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Christianity out! Hinduism in!

Church of England condemns cinemas for showing Hindu cartoon after banning Lord's Prayer

Cinemas accused of hypocrisy after claiming that commercials advertising 'any religion, faith or equivalent systems of belief' were banned

The Church of England's video shows the Lord's Prayer being recited by members of the public

By Victoria Ward
10 Dec 2015
The Telegraph

The Church of England has accused cinemas of having "double standards" for showing a seven-minute animation about Hinduism yet refusing to show adverts featuring the Lord's Prayer before films.

Odeon, Cineworld and Vue cinemas are screening a short animated film called SanJay's Super Team before every showing of The Good Dinosaur, which depicts Hindu deities acting as superheroes during prayer to protect a young boy.

However last month, the agency that handles adverts for the cinemas rejected a 60-second commercial featuring the Lord's Prayer being recited or sung by a variety of people, claiming that it risked “upsetting or offending audiences”.

The advert had been due to be shown before Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which opens on December 18, and Digital Cinema Media was originally so keen to sign the Church up that it offered a 55 per cent discount rate if it booked quickly.

But it later reversed the offer, pointing to a policy document barring commercials that advertised “any religion, faith or equivalent systems of belief” or “any part” of any such religion or faith.

The decision prompted fierce criticism from political and religious leaders including David Cameron and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Stephen Fry and Boris Johnson.

The Church of England said the decision to allow the Hindu animation but ban the Lord's Prayer demonstrated the incoherence of cinemas' "on-the-hoof policy making".

Rev Arun Arora, the Church of England’s director of communications, told The Times: "I haven't seen the film but as someone who grew up watching Hindi films and brought up on Bollywood, I have no problem whatsoever with Sanjay and certainly have no objection to the cinemas showing this film.

"But the fact that they are doing so demonstrates the incoherence of their on-the-hoof policy making. Every film and advertisement conveys a message. And this one seems to convey an obviously pro-religion, in this case pro-Hinduism, one. There is an unfortunate combination of double standards and hypocrisy on display in this decision making process which needs addressing urgently.

"As Rowan Williams wrote recently: 'Advertising our Christian history is not intruding dangerous propaganda into a neutral and benign space. It is competing with existing propaganda, existing philosophies and ideologies.'

Church of England condemns cinemas for showing Hindu cartoon after banning Lord's Prayer - Telegraph

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Not too familiar with the church of angland but probably more mainstream and not in the fundie category. I kind of think fundamentalist Christianity originated in the united states.

It's called the Anglican Church in Canada and the Episcopalian Church in the USA.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Meh, shouldn't have had either the Lord's Prayer 1 minute movie or the 7 minute Hindu one.

Movie's are for entertainment; neither would be entertainment but rather make one turn away from popcorn and such. Keep it in your religious houses, folks.