First Love

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first." (Revelation 2:1-4 NIV)

In his 1st century message to the congregation of believers at Ephesus and to Christians today, Jesus both commends and corrects. Commendation is given for adhering to truth. Correction is administered over love lost.

What is "the love you had at first"? How do followers of Christ lose/regain it?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first." (Revelation 2:1-4 NIV)

In his 1st century message to the congregation of believers at Ephesus and to Christians today, Jesus both commends and corrects. Commendation is given for adhering to truth. Correction is administered over love lost.

My first love's name was June. There were others who came along but no one like her.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
She had long black hair. We were just kids and it was puppy love. I've never known anyone who was like Jesus in the popular sense.

Although my step father raised 5 children who were not his own. He'd be the closest.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think my first love was likely my mother. And that's probably because she fed me, kept me warm, etc.
And I suspect that most people's first loves are their parents and immediate families.
As far as dead people go, I have loved some but that is in the past and not relevant to me today.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Yes it would be mom of course.

Maybe the Beatitudes would be a good place to start

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
First love: "We love because (God) first loved us." (1 John 4:19 NIV)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My first love was my cousin Dianne, I was 5 and she was 9. She was beautiful and taught me how to draw. She could draw cartoons like a goddess and she looked like one to my 5 year old eyes.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Yes it would be mom of course.

And Dad, siblings, extended family, teachers, classmates/friends, spouse, children and grandchildren, of course. Then someone introduces us to Christ and we are smitten for eternity. (Ironically, smitten is a past particle of smite.)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm thinking the writer of that particular verse wasn't referring to self.

Every humans first love is God who gave him or her life even before thier mothers. So that soul in every human is the pure love and power of God. That is the first love and the only love as all love has but one source indivisable, so they say. Revelation is full of passages from Enoch. The writer of the passage from Revelation may have had no idea what he was copying. Scribes are like that. If you do not love yourself first, not formost, just first, how can you project what you don't feel. Self love first but not exclusively.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Every humans first love is God who gave him or her life even before thier mothers. So that soul in every human is the pure love and power of God. That is the first love and the only love as all love has but one source indivisable, so they say. Revelation is full of passages from Enoch. The writer of the passage from Revelation may have had no idea what he was copying. Scribes are like that. If you do not love yourself first, not formost, just first, how can you project what you don't feel. Self love first but not exclusively.
I've heard a myriad of interpretations pertaining to Revelation. Yours is just as good as another I suppose. I have no comment.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Will you send my ministry money, we really need it to go to Cuba after Christmas to work among the suntanned heathans and try to save them from the sin s of fun and relaxation

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Will you send my ministry money, we really need it to go to Cuba after Christmas to work among the suntanned heathans and try to save them from the sin s of fun and relaxation
That is why we have crowd funding sites. String a good line of BS and make a little video of yourself looking all kinds of sincere and, voila! Cash comes rolling in and you are off and running.
As a friend always says, "there's a seeker born every minute."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
That is why we have crowd funding sites. String a good line of BS and make a little video of yourself looking all kinds of sincere and, voila! Cash comes rolling in and you are off and running.
As a friend always says, "there's a seeker born every minute."

I can't misrepresent myself like that Cliffy. What kind of money are you thinking could be raised with sincere pleading for the needy, just curious mind you?