Is it moral for God to punish us?

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012

Is it moral for an all-knowing and all-powerful God to set in motion a history that he designs and then condemns others for?

We live in a history that God has set up and is fully responsible for. God, punishing man, who can do nothing but follow God’s plan and the nature God has put in us, is having innocent people suffer for the wrongs God himself has pre-destined and which cannot be altered.

For example.
God chose to have Jesus sacrificed. God, in his planning book would also have decided who would kill Jesus. There would be no way for that man to not kill Jesus or God’s plan would fall off the rails and in this case, we would not have a messiah or scapegoat to ride into heaven.

Some will say we have free will but as shown in the example above, Jesus’ killer could not refrain from killing Jesus without derailing God’s plan. Further, to pre-destine any one action or condition within a history changes all other conditions and pre-destines all conditions within the plan. Think the butterfly effect.

Having said the above and having shown that we have no free will if anything is pre-destined, I think it would be quite immoral for God to judge or punish us for being and doing exactly what he pre-ordained for us in his plan. We have no choice and to punish us is immoral.

Do you agree?

If not, why not?

Regards
DL

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
Define Webster's.

I thought most Canadians knew how to read a dictionary but I guess not.

Regards
DL

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
There are consequences positive and negative in regard to how we conduct ourselves especially in how we treat others. In reference to god you either believe or you do not. If you do you have doctrine that defines morality for you.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That does not usually stop intelligent people from forming a speculative opinion.

Regards
DL
Actually it does. The people it doesn't stop are those engaged in mental masturbation based on differing definitions of undefined terms.

And since there's no god, clearly there's no god punishing us.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
to any of you who believe there is a god, exactly what would happen if the god punished me.

the spiral of the church breaks off, and goes thru my heart, (as in the omen)

hit by a bus sometime

my dog turns into a raging lunatic and kills me

I just turn into a sniffling idiot with no brain one day, no symptoms at all.

the raging river comes up my street and floods my house only, with me in it, of course I drown.

as time goes on the word 'punish' is becoming a unacceptable thing to do to anyone, positive reinforcement
works much better, so this punish thing is becoming obsolete and silly sounding.

the explanation of your god punishing anyone is just 'you' punishing yourselves, and thinking it came
from a god, not so, but could be good discipline for yourself.

feeling guilty and wanting to be punished, so you can feel cleansed, nice try, but doesn't
heal anything.

and oh of course, I could be sent to hell? well if one could dig deep enough into the earth,
there is fire there. no such place as hell, nice fairy tale story, like many others.

was anyone here punished by a god, tell me what happened to you, and how did you know it was a god
that punished you.

of course, I just don't get it right? I'm sure glad.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You know this, how?

What have you been condemned for.

Regards
DL

My attachment to flesh of course.

talloola;2173838]
to any of you who believe there is a god, exactly what would happen if the god punished me.
if you stayed out in the cold rain you would catch a flu for being silly.

the spiral of the church breaks off, and goes thru my heart, (as in the omen)
too dramatic

hit by a bus sometime
same

my dog turns into a raging lunatic and kills me

you like it rough then?

]the raging river comes up my street and floods my house only, with me in it, of course I drown.

as time goes on the word 'punish' is becoming a unacceptable thing to do to anyone, positive reinforcement
works much better, so this punish thing is becoming obsolete and silly sounding.

Punishment is positive reenforcement, you are not being squashed just slapped arround a bit

the explanation of your god punishing anyone is just 'you' punishing yourselves, and thinking it came from a god, not so, but could be good discipline for yourself.

you are god

feeling guilty and wanting to be punished, so you can feel cleansed, nice try, but doesn't
heal anything.

you have to be punished before you can enjoy being unpunished

and oh of course, I could be sent to hell? well if one could dig deep enough into the earth,
there is fire there. no such place as hell, nice fairy tale story, like many others.

you are alive on earth so you are in hell

was anyone here punished by a god, tell me what happened to you, and how did you know it was a god
that punished you.

I am punished and rewarded by god everyday

of course, I just don't get it right? I'm sure glad.[/QUOTE

well your nice so you don't get punished

Actually it does. The people it doesn't stop are those engaged in mental masturbation based on differing definitions of undefined terms.

And since there's no god, clearly there's no god punishing us.

You're a lawyer and you don't believe in god? Maybe you havn't been punished enough.

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
if you stayed out in the cold rain you would catch a flu for being silly.
Uh no they wouldn't. Colds and flu are viruses. You can't catch a virus simply from being cold and/or wet.

Seriously? That's like saying I have to be shot before I can enjoy what it's like not to be shot.
Sounds like you have some masochistic tendencies.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My attachment to flesh of course.

talloola;2173838] if you stayed out in the cold rain you would catch a flu for being silly.

too dramatic

same

you like it rough then?

Punishment is positive reenforcement, you are not being squashed just slapped arround a bit

you are god

you are alive on earth so you are in hell

I am punished and rewarded by god everyday

of course, I just don't get it right? I'm sure glad.[/QUOTE

well your nice so you don't get punished

oh yeah, nice, hmmmm, thanks, you made my day, yes, I am nice, and tough, independent, and not going
to be punished by any god, I know that. this earth isn't hell, life on this earth is what one makes
it, the earth is our mother, and if we don't care for her properly, we might receive punishment like
none we have ever imagined, and we'll all be gone, but the earth will remain.
be nice to yourself, I'm sure you deserve it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is it moral for an all-knowing and all-powerful God to set in motion a history that he designs and then condemns others for?

DL

To start with it's a stupid question. God doesn't punish any one. Sh*t happens as often as not as a result of our own short comings and inattentiveness. God gave us a brain to protect ourselves and sometimes we don't use it. Other times we are "punished" for the sole reason that sh*t happens (like the three kids and their grandfather who died in the car accident in Ontario)