Apocalypse Means Revelation

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
apocalypse (n.)

late 14c., "revelation, disclosure," from Church Latin apocalypsis "revelation," from Greek apokalyptein "uncover, disclose, reveal," from apo- "from" (see apo-) + kalyptein "to cover, conceal" (see Calypso). The Christian end-of-the-world story is part of the revelation in John of Patmos' book "Apokalypsis" (a title rendered into English as "Apocalypse" c. 1230 and "Revelations" by Wyclif c. 1380). Online Etymology Dictionary

Who or what is being uncovered, disclosed or revealed in the biblical apocalypse?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There's a lot of money to be made in marketing end of the world prophesies.. and selling survival gear to see you through the Apocalypse.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
There's a lot of money to be made in marketing end of the world prophesies.. and selling survival gear to see you through the Apocalypse.

This is true, CS if personal physical survival and profit are chief priorities of this age.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
apocalypse (n.)

late 14c., "revelation, disclosure," from Church Latin apocalypsis "revelation," from Greek apokalyptein "uncover, disclose, reveal," from apo- "from" (see apo-) + kalyptein "to cover, conceal" (see Calypso). The Christian end-of-the-world story is part of the revelation in John of Patmos' book "Apokalypsis" (a title rendered into English as "Apocalypse" c. 1230 and "Revelations" by Wyclif c. 1380). Online Etymology Dictionary

Who or what is being uncovered, disclosed or revealed in the biblical apocalypse?

"Outside of Revelation, examples of apocalyptic literature in the Bible are Daniel chapters 7–12, Isaiah chapters 24–27, Ezekiel chapters 37–41, and Zechariah chapters 9–12 ...The Apocalypse will be the ultimate revealing of God, His wrath, His justice, and, ultimately, His love. Jesus Christ is the supreme “apocalypse” of God, as He revealed God to us."
What is the Apocalypse?

From Genesis to Revelation, the biblical record is the apokalupsis of God. In creation, Israel, Jesus Christ and the church, the apokalupsis of God continues today.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The seven blessings of Revelation:

"Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near." (Revelation 1:3 NIV)

"Then I heard a voice from heaven say, 'Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' 'Yes,' says the Spirit, 'they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them." (Revelation 14:13 NIV)

"Look, I come like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed." (Revelation 16:15 NIV)

"Then the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' And he added, 'These are the true words of God." (Revelation 19:9 NIV)

"Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years." (Revelation 20:6 NIV)

"Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll." (Revelation 22:7 NIV)

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city." (Revelation 22:14 NIV)

Apocalypse means revelation, not annihilation.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
in the Book of Revelation. Students have been impressed with the evident resemblance of the Apocalypse to Gnostic literature, and one writer has ventured the opinion that it could have been written only by a Platonist versed in Mystery and Magian symbology. It bears quite pointed resemblances to such a Hermetic book as the Enoch. The Jesus referred to in it obviously has no identic relation to the Jesus personalized in the Gospels. His figure here is of cosmic proportions and equates the stature of the Logos. His dispatching of his angels to testify unto the churches can mean only that the Demiurgus, or Cosmic Intelligence embodied in an exalted being of the hierarchy, ordered the incarnation of the legionary hosts in the interests of the human evolution on earth. The "churches" can by no possible sophistry be distorted into a reference to the early Christian congregations. This would be to bring the dignity of cosmic operations down almost to the level of the monthly meeting of the Ladies’ Auxiliary! The "churches" were groupings or gradations of spiritual beings at or near the completed state of human development, if not the "ecclesia" or "assembly" of the divinized mortals. Theology has never adequately traced the course of the evolutionary processes by which the simple fact of the descent of the angels for incarnation took on the character of a "fall," with the implication of disaster. Says Cocker: "The present life is a fall and a punishment."19 Many passage from the Bible could be adduced to show that the
123​
incarnation was held to have resulted in a fall or debasement of pristine angelic virtue. The Revelation apostrophe to the fallen Babylon, the mighty, whose ancient glory had departed, giving place to the glory of the Beast, whose courts had become the habitation of devils, and whose fornicatory wines had made the nations drunk, is doubtless an allusion to the situation here envisaged. To what else could St. Paul conceivably be referring when, speaking of the Gentiles, he says:
"And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man, and of birds, and of four-footed beasts, and of creeping things."http://pc93.tripod.com/lostlght.htm

( 1-902-DARKBEAVER Sounds exactly like the way things are today. )

apocolyptic

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the circumstances of the times in which it was written could it. I prefer the Sermon on the Mount. Some of those teachings are positive. IMO.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the circumstances of the times in which it was written could it.

Yes, this revelation was/is a sign of the times, LL.

By the time of this revelation and recording, John the Baptist had been imprisoned and beheaded (Matthew 14), Jesus had been arrested, beaten and crucified, the apostles had been jailed and flogged (Acts 5), Stephen had been stoned (Acts 7), James had been beheaded (Acts 12), Paul had been beaten and imprisoned, Peter and Paul had been executed (A.D. 65) and John had been exiled to the island of Patmos (A.D. 95).

In Hebrews 11:35-38, Paul lists torture, jeers and flogging, chains and imprisonment, stoning, sawing in two, killing by sword and destitution as examples of suffering experienced by believers before and in his time. The atrocities inflicted on the early church by Roman emperors like Nero are well-documented in historical records.

Certainly, there was/is a longing for vindication by these and others today who were/are being mistreated and martyred for their faith. But God's priority of redemption comes first.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014

By the time of this revelation and recording, John the Baptist had been imprisoned and beheaded (Matthew 14), Jesus had been arrested, beaten and crucified, the apostles had been jailed and flogged (Acts 5), Stephen had been stoned (Acts 7), James had been beheaded (Acts 12), Paul had been beaten and imprisoned, Peter and Paul had been executed (A.D. 65) and John had been exiled to the island of Patmos (A.D. 95).

In Hebrews 11:35-38, Paul lists torture, jeers and flogging, chains and imprisonment, stoning, sawing in two, killing by sword and destitution as examples of suffering experienced by believers before and in his time. The atrocities inflicted on the early church by Roman emperors like Nero are well-documented in historical records.

Certainly, there was/is a longing for vindication by these and others today who were/are being mistreated and martyred for their faith. But God's priority of redemption comes first.
Okay. :)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

So you should be punished for your faith, you will always be punished for faith, you need knowledge. The early church was an atrocity Nero was trying to save lives.

This is true, CS if personal physical survival and profit are chief priorities of this age.

If you can't get the first step done? Survival is profit, every second. You can only explore the rest when you accomplish the first priority. How can that not be chief? Who do the dead worship?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
here's my thoughts on religion. completely off topic but I don't start threads so I'll put it here if out of line delete it. If a person devotes the majority of their lives and tithe to one religion or church, say, 40 years as an example and say that church member averaged 50 grand a year for that period of time. As per the Leviticus admonishment to tithe 10% , the church member contributes 5 grand a year. That's 200 grand tithed to that church in the forty years that faithful member attended. So here's my question. Why can't his church spring for his funeral expenses when his time comes to die? Just something I've thought about for awhile.

And Motar to return to the topic, I feel not many if any understand the cryptic message of Revelation. I'll leave it at that.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

'Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.'

The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: 'This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too." (Luke 2:25-35 NIV)

There are examples of revelation like that experienced by Simeon above throughout Scripture. Jesus Christ is both the Source and Subject of a continuous revelation of God which begins in the book of Genesis and culminates in the apocalypse recorded by the apostle John.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Apostle John didn't write the Gospel of John or Revelations, it was the un-named Disciple of John the Baptist from John:1. Aka the Beloved Disciple.

here's my thoughts on religion. completely off topic but I don't start threads so I'll put it here if out of line delete it. If a person devotes the majority of their lives and tithe to one religion or church, say, 40 years as an example and say that church member averaged 50 grand a year for that period of time. As per the Leviticus admonishment to tithe 10% , the church member contributes 5 grand a year. That's 200 grand tithed to that church in the forty years that faithful member attended. So here's my question. Why can't his church spring for his funeral expenses when his time comes to die? Just something I've thought about for awhile.

And Motar to return to the topic, I feel not many if any understand the cryptic message of Revelation. I'll leave it at that.
The Church does pay for the (lavish) funerals of it's leaders, the flock is left out in the cold as that burden is put onto family and businesses.

Take smaller bites. Does Re:12 read like an expansion of Ge:3:15. If it doesn't you may want to read the parables first.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The Apostle John didn't write the Gospel of John or Revelations, it was the un-named Disciple of John the Baptist from John:1. Aka the Beloved Disciple.

"The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ." (Revelation 1:1-2 NIV)

"John, To the seven churches in the province of Asia..." (Revelation 1:4 NIV)

"I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, which said: “Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea." (Revelation 1:9-11 NIV)

John begins this letter to the seven churches in the style of first century Greeks. The title or topic of the letter is Revelation (singular, means no "s"). John opened this correspondence with a greeting and blessing after introducing God as the Author, himself as the scribe and his intended audience.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC