Return to Me

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Like Charles Finney Said, the Pulpit is to Blame for America's Fall ? Charisma News

The message above authored by Shane Idleman, lead pastor of Westside Christian Fellowship in Lancaster, California begins:

"I looked throughout America to find where her greatness originated. I looked for it in her harbors and on her shorelines, in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and in her gold mines and vast world commerce, but it was not there. It was not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her success. America is great because she is good, and if America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." (Alexis de Tocqueville, 1805-1859)

Revival in the body of Christ requires pastors to return to God in prayer, holiness, worship and preaching. Idelman's message:

"Therefore tell the people: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Return to me,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘and I will return to you,’ says the Lord Almighty." (Zechariah 1:3 NIV)

Are you a Christian? Does this exhortation apply to you?

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
So why does God perpetually punish very religious and Christian countries like say Honduras? Why do pious Christian Middle East and African societies keep getting the short end of the stick century after century?

Seems to me if God made America great and a just bit more prayer and a bump in church attendance will fix what ails it what does that say about God when she ignores those who've never had the chance to experience greatness once but pray for it far more?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
So why does God perpetually punish very religious and Christian countries like say Honduras? Why do pious Christian Middle East and African societies keep getting the short end of the stick century after century?

Seems to me if God made America great and a just bit more prayer and a bump in church attendance will fix what ails it what does that say about God when she ignores those who've never had the chance to experience greatness once but pray for it far more?

God is punishing Honduras, GFPB? What is your understanding of "great"?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Do you think that his point went a little over your head?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
What is your understanding of "great"?

"The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." (Matthew 23:11-12 NIV)

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Like Charles Finney Said, the Pulpit is to Blame for America's Fall ? Charisma News

Revival in the body of Christ requires pastors to return to God in prayer, holiness, worship and preaching:

"Therefore tell the people: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Return to me,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘and I will return to you,’ says the Lord Almighty." (Zechariah 1:3 NIV)

Are you a Christian? Does this exhortation apply to you?

Yes.

"For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17 NIV)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes.

"For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17 NIV)
That was what? 2000 years ago?

Sounds like the time for judgment to begin with God's household is past and gone.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
That was what? 2000 years ago? Sounds like the time for judgment to begin with God's household is past and gone.

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." (1 Peter 4:12-13 NIV)

In microscopic view, TB, the Lord is addressing first century Jewish Christians. Peter's epistle was penned between A.D. 64 and 67, during Nero's reign and the Roman persecution of the church. At this time, the glory of the Lamb of God has already been revealed.

In telescopic view, the Lord exhorts all believers to rejoice in trials as preparation for the revelation of the glory of Christ. The revelation of the glory of the Lion of Judah is yet to come.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So. . . suffering is good? So why should I feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, comfort the sick, and visit the imprisoned? Sounds like I'm just doing them out of the full enjoyment of their suffering.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So. . . suffering is good? So why should I feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, comfort the sick, and visit the imprisoned? Sounds like I'm just doing them out of the full enjoyment of their suffering.

Absolutely, adversity builds character and who wants to deprive anyone of character? :) :)

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

"If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." (1 Peter 4:15-16 NIV)

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
"If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." (1 Peter 4:15-16 NIV)
Good grief are you suggesting that the Christian God deliberately visits suffering for absolutely no reason on all humans and the sufferers should believe such a mad creature should be viewed as a merciful and fair God?? AWWKKK!!

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Good grief are you suggesting that the Christian God deliberately visits suffering for absolutely no reason on all humans and the sufferers should believe such a mad creature should be viewed as a merciful and fair God?? AWWKKK!!

The Christian God deliberately visits suffering for absolutely no reason on all humans, BB?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
The Christian God deliberately visits suffering for absolutely no reason on all humans, BB?
Apparently according to the verses you quote. The garden of eden and original sin doesn't stand up to any sort of sane scrutiny. So explain again the reasons why humans supposedly designed by GOD could go so wrong as to demand eternal suffering over centuries and then after death.

The scenario of the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve and the Serpent is unbelievable. As a parent would you toss your babes into a garden with a "do not touch" order, abandon them and expect them to respect it?? These days we charge such parents with neglect and abandonment.

Rarely human children told not to touch obeys, that is how we are made. So we are supposedly punished by ? superior beings for doing exactly what we were designed to do. Of course without curiosity, how far above cattle would be we be??

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Rarely human children told not to touch obeys, that is how we are made. So we are supposedly punished by ? superior beings for doing exactly what we were designed to do. Of course without curiosity, how far above cattle would be we be??

Back in the day if we were told not to touch there was no problem because if we did it once, we would never even think about doing it a second time. Disobedience was a primary sin with life threatening consequences. :) :)

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Back in the day if we were told not to touch there was no problem because if we did it once, we would never even think about doing it a second time. Disobedience was a primary sin with life threatening consequences. :) :)

Yes, JLM. Sometimes we are content to trust the Teacher and other times we learn obedience through what we suffer. David experienced the rod and the staff of the Shepherd and discovered that both are trustworthy:

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4 NIV)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, JLM. Sometimes we are content to trust the Teacher and other times we learn obedience through what we suffer. David experienced the rod and the staff of the Shepherd and discovered that both are trustworthy:

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4 NIV)
So, do you ever take responsibility for your life, or is everything just God's will?