Praying for the abused isn't good enough for the perpetrators

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
They should be shut down.........

The Catholic Archbishop of Ottawa is calling on followers of the faith to “repent” and seek forgiveness for how the church mistreated thousands of aboriginal children in residential schools for many decades.

The message is contained in a pastoral letter written by Archbishop Terrence Prendergast and comes just days before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) releases the findings of its six-year probe into this controversial chapter of Canadian history.

The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has publicly released Prendergast’s letter as part of its efforts to support and pray for residential school survivors, and reconcile with them.

Meanwhile, the Anglican, United and Presbyterian churches – which were also involved in the school system – are gearing up for next week’s TRC release with plans to forge “reconciliation” activities.

In his letter, Prendergast invites Catholics “to reflect on the importance of Canada’s First Peoples and to repent with me for how the Church has at times mistreated them.”

“In particular, I ask that you act in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples over the offences of residential schools and join me in prayer for reconciliation.”

Prendergast describes the schools as a “dark period in the Church’s history.”

“The schools were part of a policy of cultural assimilation of Aboriginal peoples, and over the decades, much abuse took place at these schools. Most of these residential schools were operated by Catholic entities and we recognize a moral responsibility and obligation to repent of this wrongdoing.”

The archbishop writes that when the TRC begins four days of events in the National Capital Region this Sunday to cap off its work, church bells will ring across Canada at noon local time.

“We face the past and sincerely ask for forgiveness. Your awareness of this history, your presence at events, and your prayers will help the Church express its genuine desire to work with Aboriginal communities to build a shared future of mutual respect.”

The residential schools saga is one of Canada’s biggest untold stories. The schools were established and funded by the federal government and run by the churches.

more

Catholic archbishop repents for mistreatment of aboriginal children at residential schools

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In his letter, Prendergast invites Catholics “to reflect on the importance of Canada’s First Peoples and to repent with me for how the Church has at times mistreated them.”
OK, I've reflected. The FNs are not important at all, and if every last one of them, and the Metis, were to vanish overnight, the only effect would be a $100-million commission stuffed with people the government owes favors to, some available land, and 2-3 days of comment on the internet.

“In particular, I ask that you act in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples over the offences of residential schools and join me in prayer for reconciliation.”
Well, which is it? Act in solidarity with the FNs, or join archwhatever in prayer?

Prendergast describes the schools as a “dark period in the Church’s history.”
Funny, I describe it as child sex trafficking, torture, murder, and accessory to all of the above.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Really? Any idea what was deemed "abuse"? Sexual assault? Doing dorm housekeeping? Not being allowed to hunt ptarmigan on a whim? A smack on the hand with a yard stick for not speaking English or French?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
" join me in prayer for reconciliation.”

Just when you thought they couldn't get any more vile, wow. In the RS every child was abused, with the flock that stipidly walks through their doors any day of the week the tally might even be higher as the number per Congregation would be lower but there are a lot more of them that victims are selected from. The Govt can't even handle the case as they would be co-defendants, case in point the Federal Prison that was here not long ago. Abuse in a hidden corner on the same children that would have been graduates of the RS system had they been a little further south. Perhaps the schools offered rooms that were just as deplorable, it isn't like mould and prisons was something new either by design or by accident.

Canadian Media Finally Discovers Mass Graves of Indigenous Children | Dissident Voice
It was eighteen years ago this month that I first handed to a Vancouver Sun newspaper editor a list of possible mass grave sites of Indian residential school children on Canada’s west coast, based on government documents and statements from eyewitnesses who buried children there. I and these witnesses were flatly ignored: not only then, but every other time over the subsequent years that we presented such evidence to the same newspaper.

Canadian Media Finally Discovers Mass Graves of Indigenous Children | Dissident Voice

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Let's narrow it down some so your world can grasp. Anything done to you that you could sue over when you have a fleet of Lawyers that are free.

Like kids who received payments that had attened FN run residential schools? That kinda grasp on the world?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You should really question the sanity of people that say something and then they claim to be the best followers of the NT that money can buy. " join me in prayer for reconciliation.”

Jas:2:14-19:
What doth it profit,
my brethren,
though a man say he hath faith,
and have not works?
can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked,
and destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them,
Depart in peace,
be ye warmed and filled;
notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body;
what doth it profit?
Even so faith,
if it hath not works,
is dead, being alone.
Yea,
a man may say,
Thou hast faith,
and I have works:
shew me thy faith without thy works,
and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God;
thou doest well: the devils also believe,
and tremble.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Like kids who received payments that had attened FN run residential schools? That kinda grasp on the world?
You sure there wasn't a per head payment made to the Church by the Govt under the Treaty rules as this was 'integration' on the books, reality, it was trying to mop up what disease and war hadn't claimed. There should be some data on where the money went that was allotted to Indian Affairs. A spreadsheet done with software that is used in criminal investigations would be easy to follow and understand, probably why it will never be done.