No Distinction - Same Gospel

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler." (1 Peter 4:14-15 NIV)

"Peter puts murder right down with gossiping and criticizing others; he makes no distinction between them at all. Paul did the same thing. Actually, Paul and Peter and James agree on everything. They are all preaching the same gospel that produces the same kind of life." (Thru the Bible, Vol. 5: 1 Corinthians-Revelation, Dr. J. Vernon McGee)

How is gossip/criticism like murder?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
They are so far apart that comparison is absurd.

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matthew 5:21-22 NIV)

Physical violence : body :: verbal violence : spirit

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Motar, my sister, read The Mythmaker - Paul and the Invention of Christianity.

Christianity is enlightened/empowered conformity to Christ, Brother.

O Brother, where art thou? Brother?

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
"If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler." (1 Peter 4:14-15 NIV)

"Peter puts murder right down with gossiping and criticizing others; he makes no distinction between them at all. Paul did the same thing. Actually, Paul and Peter and James agree on everything. They are all preaching the same gospel that produces the same kind of life." (Thru the Bible, Vol. 5: 1 Corinthians-Revelation, Dr. J. Vernon McGee)

How is gossip/criticism like murder?
welcome back Motar...your absence was noticed...I missed your posts although as you know we do not share the same belief system I do enjoy reading your posts.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
welcome back Motar...your absence was noticed...I missed your posts although as you know we do not share the same belief system I do enjoy reading your posts.

Blessings, Sal. Your generous spirit is a breath of fresh air to us all.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matthew 5:21-22 NIV)

Physical violence : body :: verbal violence : spirit

See? I told you it was absurd.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.' One of the biggies "borrowed" from the Code of Hammurabi.
Code of Hammurabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Didn't we bomb them Babylonians?

127. If any one "point the finger" (slander) at a sister of a god or the wife of any one, and can not prove it, this man shall be taken before the judges and his brow shall be marked. (by cutting the skin, or perhaps hair.)
Translated by L. W. King

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Probably written about the time the Jews were in Babylon and making up the old testament. A lot of Sumerian, Egyptian and Asyrian texts mixed in there too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My extended family is well known for gossip. It's a tradition.
tch, you are so lucky....I love gossip because most of the time there is only a grain of truth, and I love listening to the tongue waggers because if truth be told, I really couldn't give one crap what anyone else does with their life...not up to me to judge...hell I'm right in there with the sinners, so I love listening to all the saints cast aspersions as if their yakking could possibly matter to anyone...that's the part that entertains me not the actual gossip

I love people watching...

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
tch, you are so lucky....I love gossip because most of the time there is only a grain of truth, and I love listening to the tongue waggers because if truth be told, I really couldn't give one crap what anyone else does with their life...not up to me to judge...hell I'm right in there with the sinners, so I love listening to all the saints cast aspersions as if their yakking could possibly matter to anyone...that's the part that entertains me not the actual gossip

I love people watching...
Yep..... especially at tim horton and other coffee shops.....Imagination can really take over common sense....:lol:;-)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yep..... especially at tim horton and other coffee shops.....Imagination can really take over common sense....:lol:;-)
it REALLY can...

I also love a dusk walk, just when the lights are turning on in the homes and you are passing by...I like to wonder what each house holds, what conversations are taking place, what food is being prepared, how did their day go, what will they do after dinner, are they rushing to get the kids to an extracurricular or are they leisurely sipping wine and unwinding, do they make an effort to eat in a healthy manner or is is a treat night...

and according to the outside of the home...some places seem inviting others inspire just a tad of caution

I also love the airport...now that is like being at the circus