Why would anyone let their young daughters live with a man?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I would hope the parents of these girls are charged with neglect and endangerment at least................

After 11 months on the run, an American minister accused of molesting girls as young as 12 has been captured in Brazil, NBC News reports. According to authorities, 53-year-old Victor Arden Barnard was arrested in his apartment late Friday near one of the country's white sand beaches.

Last April, Barnard was charged with 59 counts of criminal sexual conduct with young girls while leading a Christian fellowship in Minnesota. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.

In June of 2000, the charismatic religious leader allegedly convinced some members of his congregation to hand over their firstborn daughters to live with him in the secluded campsite.

Lindsay Tornambe's name was called and her parents allowed their 13-year-old daughter to join the group of girls at the camp, called "The Maidens," under Barnard's supervision. She and other congregants said the girls got up early, sewed, cooked and cleaned for Barnard.

Barnard proclaimed he was Christ on Earth.

"He taught that in the Bible, the church was the bride of Christ and because he was Christ in the flesh, the church was supposed to be married to him," Tornambe said. "At that time I didn't really understand the fullness of what it meant."

According to a criminal complaint in the U.S., two women said they were among about 10 girls and young women who were chosen to live apart from their families in a camp that Barnard set up near Finlayson, Minnesota, about 90 miles north of Minneapolis.

One woman alleged Barnard sexually abused her beginning at age 13 and continuing until she was 22. The other said her abuse occurred between ages 12 and 20.

Barnard allegedly kept the girls isolated, and U.S. authorities have said he used religious coercion and intimidation to maintain his control over them, calling it cult-like behavior. He allegedly told one victim she would remain a virgin because he was a "man of God"

Fugitive Minister Wanted on 59 Sex Abuse Charges Arrested in Brazil

and

Fugitive American minister caught in Brazil - CNN.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A man or this man? This man, yes, he should never be anywhere near a child, ever, never again. A man though? That's kinda broad isn't it?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A man or this man? This man, yes, he should never be anywhere near a child, ever, never again. A man though? That's kinda broad isn't it?

Haven't you heard? ALL men are rapists and any woman that thinks otherwise has been brainwashed by our paternal society.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Haven't you heard? ALL men are rapists and any woman that thinks otherwise has been brainwashed by our paternal society.

Well you know me, thinking people are all equal and stuff. And treating them that way unless they behave otherwise. Old fashioned, I know.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This guy should never see the light of day and what about the people who allowed it
These parents are equal monsters for allowing their children to be harmed and for
being so stupid as to fall for that nonsense. The parents who gave their children
should be charged as well

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
what's kind of broad?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
"a"man, as in any man. seems a broad sweep.
is that in the OP I missed it... my reading comprehension is suffering today...I checked it and still can't find it...oh well...it's coffee and ice cream time anyway

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
jesus forget the coffee i need alcohol

must be because I am watching Tyrese die all over again... :(

LOL. Me too. I went to put a movie on this afternoon, but they weren't showing what they said was on, it was a Star Trek movie marathon. So I just left it on. Switched stations when Wrath of Khan started again.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
LOL. Me too. I went to put a movie on this afternoon, but they weren't showing what they said was on, it was a Star Trek movie marathon. So I just left it on. Switched stations when Wrath of Khan started again.
I've had it on since early (like really early) this morning...I don't follow Mad Men but it comes on early in the morning and the acting rocks I may at some point begin to follow it again in order...