Why does God allow children to suffer?


Angstrom
+1
#61
All we have Learn't is how to survive, everything aside from that is a irrelevant . There is no answer to this girls question, because she asks the wrong question.

Humans are wicked beast, so proficient at survival, we dominate this worlds surface without challenge.

There is no point to argue.

The situation we are faced with today would have never have happened if we were extinct.
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
JLM
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Really? And what planet are you on? Wanna talk about tsunamis that kill 250,000 in one shot and leave millions more homeless and grieving their lost loved ones? How about childhood cancers, or people born with monstrous deformities, or ... well, no need to multiply examples. If god has the characteristics usually ascribed to him, he could relieve all that, but he doesn't. The Grand Plan argument, that this all has some higher purpose it's not given to us to know, is just a retreat into mystic BS. The free will defense doesn't cut it either, he could have made us better people so we wouldn't do the horrible things we do to each other, we'd make better choices. But again, if he has the characteristics usually ascribed to him, he made us knowing how flawed we are and what the consequences would be. That makes him, if he exists, responsible for it all.

Given all that this god fails to provide in the lives of those who beseech him for help, he's either pretty much disengaged, or actively evil, or doesn't exist. The last is by far the simplest explanation.

Maybe the mistake lies with some people who expect "God" to do everything. I think that God aka Mother Nature aka the Supreme Being is more interested in trends than individuals. We've been indoctrinated to believe death is a bad thing, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Who knows if earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes aren't anything more than the "growing pains" of the planet? I have no more answers (maybe fewer) than other people, so I have no ability to judge God, just know to always expect the unexpected.
 
talloola
+2
#63
people allow children to suffer, and of course natural disasters, which

are caused by the earth's movements, nothing to do with any outside interferrence,

by anything else.
 
JLM
+1
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

All we have Learn't is how to survive, everything aside from that is a irrelevant . There is no answer to this girls question, because she asks the wrong question.

Humans are wicked beast, so proficient at survival, we dominate this worlds surface without challenge.

There is no point to argue.

The situation we are faced with today would have never have happened if we were extinct.

Good point!

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

people allow children to suffer.

Yep, actually people are possibly the greatest cause of suffering!
 
MHz
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Perhaps, within the realm of possibility. God, like Santa Claus has limits.

Santa has Elves for when things go wrong, God has a, 'Say what??' or, 'Really??'
 
Spade
+1
#66
The essence of the child's question is "Why, if we are told that if we have faith and ask then the gods will grant, are those gods silent especially when the most worthy make their requests?"

Saying that is men who do not address wrongs is in part correct, but why does religion perpetuate the contrary myth? Religion is a conservative force in society, and unfortunately often supports the status quo that does not address these wrongs.
 
MHz
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post


Yep, actually people are possibly the greatest cause of suffering!

The fine print says it's 'bad' when you start laughing when doing bad things, if you say 'whoops' then that is like a 'not guilty' kind of thing.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

. . .if we are told that if we have faith and ask . . .

There is always a difference between the potter and the clay. That never swaps places, that doesn't mean that when we are made into a man by God that we don't sit at a wheel once we are as perfected is when He formed us, just not His wheel.

If the fair opens it's gates at 10AM and is open until 11PM the total that attend can't be arrived at before the place closes. 'Clean slate' is what God's wheel looks like when he stops.
 
Dexter Sinister
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Maybe the mistake lies with some people who expect "God" to do everything.

I think the mistake lies in expecting god to do anything. All the evidence I've seen indicates he's not there, and if he's not, then what's usually called the Problem of Evil, which is really the burden of the child's question, just disappears as a religious or philosophical issue. No religion has ever come up with a satisfactory explanation for the Problem of Evil existing under the stewardship of a supposedly benevolent and all-powerful deity, though whoever wrote the Book of Job made a heroic effort to do so. And he, like the Pope, ultimately had to concede he didn't know.
 
petros
#69
I wonder who is the god of the material world aka the mater and who is the god of the ethereal aka the pater?
Does the Book say anything?
 
JLM
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I think the mistake lies in expecting god to do anything. All the evidence I've seen indicates he's not there, and if he's not, then what's usually called the Problem of Evil, which is really the burden of the child's question, just disappears as a religious or philosophical issue. No religion has ever come up with a satisfactory explanation for the Problem of Evil existing under the stewardship of a supposedly benevolent and all-powerful deity, though whoever wrote the Book of Job made a heroic effort to do so. And he, like the Pope, ultimately had to concede he didn't know.

I think one of the problems is "God" is misidentified (if that makes sense). Maybe we all have a separate "God". What is it that enables a 100 lb. woman the strength to lift a 2 ton car off a child?
 
petros
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think one of the problems is "God" is misidentified (if that makes sense). Maybe we all have a separate "God". What is it that enables a 100 lb. woman the strength to lift a 2 ton car off a child?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I wonder who is the god of the material world aka the mater and who is the god of the ethereal aka the pater?
Does the Book say anything?

check the Book.

Some people blame God for earthquakes, famine, war but never blame God for the good things like life.
 
Twila
+1
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think one of the problems is "God" is misidentified (if that makes sense). Maybe we all have a separate "God". What is it that enables a 100 lb. woman the strength to lift a 2 ton car off a child?

oh, that's adrenaline!
 
Sal
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The essence of the child's question is "Why, if we are told that if we have faith and ask then the gods will grant, are those gods silent especially when the most worthy make their requests?"

Saying that is men who do not address wrongs is in part correct, but why does religion perpetuate the contrary myth? Religion is a conservative force in society, and unfortunately often supports the status quo that does not address these wrongs.

excellent!
 
MHz
#74
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

oh, that's adrenaline!

It's also trying to create more than one 'land of the enemy'. Not the best plan when the ending is perfect as it stands and you are looking for better results than that. That level of thinking seems a bit foggy really.
 
Twila
#75
Article in Newsweek. That's not what the bible says:

www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/t...ys-294018.html (external - login to view)

It's a wonder.
 
eh1eh
#76
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I think the mistake lies in expecting god to do anything. All the evidence I've seen indicates he's not there, and if he's not, then what's usually called the Problem of Evil, which is really the burden of the child's question, just disappears as a religious or philosophical issue. No religion has ever come up with a satisfactory explanation for the Problem of Evil existing under the stewardship of a supposedly benevolent and all-powerful deity, though whoever wrote the Book of Job made a heroic effort to do so. And he, like the Pope, ultimately had to concede he didn't know.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! My head is exploding with reason.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think one of the problems is "God" is misidentified (if that makes sense). Maybe we all have a separate "God". What is it that enables a 100 lb. woman the strength to lift a 2 ton car off a child?

I think the one problem is god is misidentified as existing.
As for you chicanery re: woman/car/child, Twilla explained it quite well and science can explain any other questions you have about gods powers.
 
MHz
#77
I got this far and then they started asking for money for the rest of the info, like my false church does every Sunday.

"all of these arguments have been advanced by modern evangelical politicians and their brethren, yet none of them are supported in the Scriptures as they were originally written. Try Newsweek for only $1.25 per week (external - login to view)"

Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! My head is exploding with reason.

You are so going to love the 11teenth level.
 
tay
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

That is very easy to answer....................So they are able to handle it when they get older. If a kid is molly coddled he/she will never be able to do anything for themselves or contend with adversity. It's all part of building character!

"Character building" ...I should send this to the Vatican so they can use that as a defense.....Well done.....

A 95-year-old Catholic priest admitted to sexually abusing boys decades ago on Guam (external - login to view). He said he confessed his sins to other priests on the island at the time but none told him to specifically stop.

However, when pressed on how many boys he might have abused, Brouillard said: "I have no idea. Maybe 20."

"At that time, when I was that age, I got the impression that kids liked it, so I went ahead. But now of course, I know it's wrong and I'm paying for it," Brouillard said.

Priest Says He Was Told to Say Prayers for Abusing Boys - ABC News (external - login to view)
 

Similar Threads

3
Do you suffer from iPosture?
by Locutus | Oct 1st, 2013
27
Does Zan Suffer With..........
by johai | Apr 1st, 2008
no new posts