Who was this man Jesus Christ?

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I realize this is a Christian thread and I might come off as an atheist bashing Christ.

Please do not read it as such ,for I am no Atheist.

This man Jesus , I believed lived and did die as told.

I also want to see him through the lens of something grounded and reality based .

All the supernatural myth surrounding the man , lets put aside for a moment.

He lived and was totally devoted to his religion.

He talked with the leaders and teachers in synagogues all his life.
Obviously, for his life was one of devotion to God and his religion.

What he did bring to the table was an offshoot of the traditional and tried to make it available to the gentiles.

This would not do with the Jewish leaders and teachers.

So they plotted to have him killed.

He must have been a man of great charisma for he had large audiences with people.

After his death a myth grew and grew.

If one takes away the myths , one sees a charismatic man who wanted to bring the message of this one God to all of the Roman Empire and the known world.

Buddha was in a lot of ways the same.
There were no miracles performed by Buddha just teachings passed on for two hundred years orally before compiled as a Theravada, predating the mystical Mahayana teachings.

Buddhism today is considered magical for many a believer.

So it seems these great thinkers become gods, even if thats not what they intended.

I really do not think Jesus was wandering around telling everyone ,especially his disciples, that he was God.

He would never have had the following .

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
This man Jesus, I believed lived and did die as told. I also want to see him through the lens of something grounded and reality based.

Excellent topic, CL. Thank you for posting it.

In his human context, Jesus Christ is Jewish. In Jewish culture, proper names have meaning. Etymologically speaking, the proper name "Jesus" and the title "Christ" have the following meanings:

Jesus
late 12c. (Old English used hælend "savior"), from Greek Iesous, which is an attempt to render into Greek the Aramaic proper name Jeshua (Hebrew Yeshua) "Jah is salvation," a common Jewish personal name, the later form of Hebrew Yehoshua (see Joshua).
Online Etymology Dictionary

Christ (n.)
title given to Jesus of Nazareth, Old English crist (by 830, perhaps 675), from Latin Christus, from Greek khristos "the anointed" (translation of Hebrew mashiah; see messiah), noun use of verbal adjective of khriein "to rub, anoint" (see chrism). The Latin term drove out Old English Hæland "healer, savior," as the preferred descriptive term for Jesus. Online Etymology Dictionary

Named by his parent(s) and entitled by his followers, the etymological meaning of the proper name and title "Jesus Christ" is anointed savior/healer.

Last edited:

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Why thank you Motar.
Very informative.
I feel his life should be told as close as possible to the reality it was.
so hmmmm Jesus Christ is not his name given to him at birth.
What would you think his real name , the one his mom and dad would call him was?
Joshua was his name?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Would He have used 'inside knowledge' to build a faster sail-boat than anybody else on the Sea had? Water skies for the walking on water thing but still being able to tell all sorts of demons to scat and they scat without argument.

What would you think his real name , the one his mom and dad would call him was?
Joshua was his name?
Eldest, I have something for you to do. And then it would get done.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Why thank you Motar.
Very informative.
Joshua was his name?

His birth name would be Yeshua bar Yehosef, Hebrew for Jesus, son of Joseph, CL.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Excellent topic, CL. Thank you for posting it.

In his human context, Jesus Christ is Jewish. In Jewish culture, proper names have meaning. Etymologically speaking, the proper name "Jesus" and the title "Christ" have the following meanings:

Jesus
late 12c. (Old English used hælend "savior"), from Greek Iesous, which is an attempt to render into Greek the Aramaic proper name Jeshua (Hebrew Yeshua) "Jah is salvation," a common Jewish personal name, the later form of Hebrew Yehoshua (see Joshua).
Online Etymology Dictionary

Christ (n.)
title given to Jesus of Nazareth, Old English crist (by 830, perhaps 675), from Latin Christus, from Greek khristos "the anointed" (translation of Hebrew mashiah; see messiah), noun use of verbal adjective of khriein "to rub, anoint" (see chrism). The Latin term drove out Old English Hæland "healer, savior," as the preferred descriptive term for Jesus. Online Etymology Dictionary

Named by his parent(s) and entitled by his followers, the etymological meaning of the proper name and title "Jesus Christ" is anointed savior/healer.

His birth name would be Yeshua bar Yehosef, Hebrew for Jesus, son of Joseph, CL.

you said Jesus meant something spiritual?

So back to the supernatural story and not the human reality.
Pity a man who gave us his life and so much and his real name lost forever and replaced with the mythical.

very sad.
Honour would show proof of itself, if but a name was kept for prosperity.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I am trying to look at the man and what possably could be the truth of his life here on earth.

Buddha was title given to Siddhartha well after His death.

captain morgan you come into the thread and give me a red and then not comment .
It's obvious from what Motar expresses the name is an honorary title given to this man sometime at a later date and not at birth.

so you can't handle the truth .
You can't handle the truth! (Jack Nicholson) - YouTube

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
For asking a man's birth name? And wondering why he ends up with a title and not a name.

The title "Christ" pre-dates the incarnation, CL.

Christ (n.)
title given to Jesus of Nazareth, Old English crist (by 830, perhaps 675), from Latin Christus, from Greek khristos "the anointed" (translation of Hebrew mashiah; see messiah) ... Online Etymology Dictionary

messiah (n.)
c.1300, Messias, from Late Latin Messias, from Greek Messias, from Aramaic meshiha and Hebrew mashiah "the anointed" (of the Lord), from mashah "anoint." This is the word rendered in Septuagint as Greek Khristos (see Christ). In Old Testament prophetic writing, it was used of an expected deliverer of the Jewish nation ... Online Etymology Dictionary

Another title ascribed to Jesus is "Emmanuel", CL.

Emmanuel
masc. personal name, from Greek form of Hebrew 'Immanu'el, literally "God is with us," from 'immanu "with us," from 'im "with," + first person plural pronomial suffix, + El "God." Online Etymology Dictionary

This title can be found in Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:23. This title also pre-dates the incarnation.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
The title "Christ" pre-dates the incarnation, CL.

Christ (n.)
title given to Jesus of Nazareth, Old English crist (by 830, perhaps 675), from Latin Christus, from Greek khristos "the anointed" (translation of Hebrew mashiah; see messiah) ... Online Etymology Dictionary

messiah (n.)
c.1300, Messias, from Late Latin Messias, from Greek Messias, from Aramaic meshiha and Hebrew mashiah "the anointed" (of the Lord), from mashah "anoint." This is the word rendered in Septuagint as Greek Khristos (see Christ). In Old Testament prophetic writing, it was used of an expected deliverer of the Jewish nation ... Online Etymology Dictionary

Another title ascribed to Jesus is "Emmanuel", CL.

Emmanuel
masc. personal name, from Greek form of Hebrew 'Immanu'el, literally "God is with us," from 'immanu "with us," from 'im "with," + first person plural pronomial suffix, + El "God." Online Etymology Dictionary

This title can be found in Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:23. This title also pre-dates the incarnation.

Yes i understand as I said it is a title.
But and here is the big but!

That was not the kid's name at birth.

But I could be mistaken.

It just seems highly unlikely to name him such a thing at birth.

And I don't think others gave their kids names like this.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Yes i understand as I said it is a title. But and here is the big but. That was not the kid's name at birth.
But I could be mistaken. It just seems highly unlikely to name him such a thing at birth. And I don't think others gave their kids names like this.

Agree, CL. Other Hebrew children were not named like this:

"But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.' (Matthew 1:20-21 NIV)
f. Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves.
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[g] (which means 'God with us'). (Matthew 1:22-23 NIV)
g. Isaiah 7:14

Unless you consider the baptist, John. (Luke 1:11-17 NIV : )

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Who was this man Jesus Christ?

If one is truly interested in knowing the answer, then ask him yourself.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
This man Jesus, I believed lived and did die as told. I also want to see him through the lens of something grounded and reality based ... He lived and was totally devoted to his religion. He talked with the leaders and teachers in synagogues all his life. Obviously, for his life was one of devotion to God and his religion. What he did bring to the table was an offshoot of the traditional and tried to make it available to the gentiles.This would not do with the Jewish leaders and teachers. So they plotted to have him killed.

The following account of Jesus and a Samaritan women validates a number of your observations above, CL.

"Now he had to go through Samaria. So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) The Samaritan woman said to him, 'You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?' (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water. 'Sir,' the woman said, 'you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?' Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.' The woman said to him, 'Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.' He told her, 'Go, call your husband and come back.' 'I have no husband,' she replied. Jesus said to her, 'You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.' 'Sir,' the woman said, 'I can see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.' 'Woman,' Jesus replied, 'believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.' The woman said, 'I know that Messiah' (called Christ) 'is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.' Then Jesus declared, 'I, the one speaking to you—I am he.' (John 4:4-26 NIV)

According to Jewish culture and practice at the time, Jewish holy men went out of their way to avoid public, personal contact with Samaritans, lay persons and unmarried, unrelated women. Samaritans were Jews who were racially and religiously mixed with Gentiles. And this Samaritan woman had a reputation.

Imagine the affront to the Jewish religious ruling authority. Jesus went out of his way to meet this Samaritan women who had been marginalized by her own people. Notice his humble persistence in spite of her initial hostility. Also note how she gradually softens as he gently leads her from false religion to faith.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Why thank you Motar.
Very informative.
Joshua was his name?

Yeshua was his correct name = there is no letter J in Hebrew or in Greek

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Agree, CL. Other Hebrew children were not named like this:

"But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.' (Matthew 1:20-21 NIV)
f. Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves.
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[g] (which means 'God with us'). (Matthew 1:22-23 NIV)
g. Isaiah 7:14

Unless you consider the baptist, John. (Luke 1:11-17 NIV : )

The thread has veered into the twilight zone.

I cannot find any reference to this man's real name.

If you are telling me angels told his dad to name him a word that points to messiah , and his father did it. Well I can't imagine this kid not being beat up daily. Kids can be cruel and I doubt at the time if the people of the town would allow his father to give his son such an honorific title instead of a name.

Please drop the hocus pocus , at least in this one thread.

The only virgin birth on record i heard was this:
TOM WAITS just listen to 1:20

Tom Waits (Big Time 1988) [13]. Train Song - YouTube

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The thread has veered into the twilight zone. I cannot find any reference to this man's real name. If you are telling me angels told his dad to name him a word that points to messiah , and his father did it. Well I can't imagine this kid not being beat up daily. Kids can be cruel and I doubt at the time if the people of the town would allow his father to give his son such an honorific title instead of a name. Please drop the hocus pocus, at least in this one thread.

This is a Christian Discussion forum, CL. Christ is bound to come up in conversation : )