Resistant Peace

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"As peacemakers, we must resist all the powers of war and destruction and proclaim that peace is the divine gift offered to all who affirm life. Resistance means saying 'No' to all the forces of death, wherever they may be." (Henri Nouwen)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/henrinouwe588369.html

What is a peacemaker? What are the forces of death? What is resistant peace?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In a large republic which shall remain nameless, their dear leader over a decade ago spoke to a conference of religious broadcasters (largely Christian evangelicals) why war was so peachy keen. He got a standing ovation much to my complete astonishment as it was contrary to the ideals of the man whom they call messiah.

Last edited:

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
In a large republic which shall remain nameless, their dear leader over a decade ago spoke to a conference of religious broadcasters (largely Christian evangelicals) why war was so peachy keen. He got a standing ovation much to my complete astonishment as it was contrary to the ideals of the man whom they call messiah.

Can you post a link, Dear Brother?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

Mum wants to know why you don't call more often. I told her she can chat with you online : ) Thanks for the link.

"As peacemakers, we must resist all the powers of war and destruction and proclaim that peace is the divine gift offered to all who affirm life. Resistance means saying 'No' to all the forces of death, wherever they may be." (Henri Nouwen)

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." (Matthew 5:9 NIV)
"Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." (James 3:18 NIV)

Peacemaking is supported by Scripture.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Mum wants to know why you don't call more often. I told her she can chat with you online : ) Thanks for the link.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." (Matthew 5:9 NIV)
"Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." (James 3:18 NIV)

Nothing as peaceful as a city full of corpses.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
What are the forces of death?

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,' (Aramaic term of contempt) is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matthew 5:21-22 NIV)

In his mountain sermon, Jesus reviewed the ten commandments. He emphasized the spirit of the law, demonstrating how verbally despising another with derogatory name-calling is tantamount to slaying another's spirit. He equated this type of verbal abuse with the physical act of murder. This type of verbal assault then is a (spiritual) "force of death".

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

That's the biggest difference between Christian teaching and biblical teaching. The former all too often promotes war while the latter condemns it. Don't know if you are old enough to remember the anti Vietnam war agitation engaged in by so many true Christians - if you do remember it, you'll likely recall how the pro war crowd said that anti war people (such as the Berrigans, Catholic Workers, Quakers) were not Christians at all and were under the dreaded influence of commies. This despite the fact that they pointed to biblical references to support their views and readily refuted the claims of the pro war types.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Motar, a riddle.

"He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls."
-Tennyson's "The Eagle"

Who is my mother? And who are my brethern?"
-Matthew 12:48 (KJV)

Whom does the Eagle see as his brethern?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
That's the biggest difference between Christian teaching and biblical teaching. The former all too often promotes war while the latter condemns it. Don't know if you are old enough to remember the anti Vietnam war agitation engaged in by so many true Christians - if you do remember it, you'll likely recall how the pro war crowd said that anti war people (such as the Berrigans, Catholic Workers, Quakers) were not Christians at all and were under the dreaded influence of commies. This despite the fact that they pointed to biblical references to support their views and readily refuted the claims of the pro war types.

A righteous observation, gopher.

My view of Bible content is that it is a complete (planned) revelation of God through the interaction between the representative people of Israel and the representative person of Christ. The variety of literary genres in the text dictates a varied approach to interpretation. Christ most definitely proclaimed peace during His earthly day.

Motar, a riddle. "He watches from his mountain walls, and like a thunderbolt he falls." Tennyson's "The Eagle" Who is my mother? And who are my brethern?" Matthew 12:48 (KJV) Whom does the Eagle see as his brethern?

The Eagle

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.
(Alfred Tennyson)

"While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, 'Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.' He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?' Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” (Matthew 12:46-50 NIV)

Taken together, Brother Spade, I would say that the eagle and Jesus regard those of similar spirit (not blood) to be their kin.

The eagle in this poem spends the bulk of his time up high, indicating that he prefers/relates to the higher natural elements (sun/sky). Jesus also demonstrates an affinity for higher spiritual elements, returning faithfully in His discussions to His Father in heaven and to those who embody His Spirit.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
What is resistant peace?

In the context of personal injury, murder and malicious perjury, the law exacted "eye for eye, and tooth for tooth" (Exodus 21:24; Lev. 24:20; Deut. 19:21) as a deterrent ("The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you." (Deuteronomy 19:20 NIV) to "the foreigner and the native-born" (Leviticus 24:22 NIV) among the ancient Hebrews.

The law was written for a particular people in particular circumstances. Jesus referenced this law in His mountain sermon when he advocated for resistant peace:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." (Matthew 5:38-42 NIV)

Where can instances of peaceful resistance be found in our day?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
As peacemakers, we must resist all the powers of war and destruction and proclaim that... - Henri Nouwen at BrainyQuote

What is a peacemaker? What are the forces of death? What is resistant peace?
a peacemaker is someone who works on bringing tranquility or harmony to any situation which is without peace

forces of death are anything which kills harmony/peace/tranquilty

resistant peace would be resisting anything which kills harmony/peace/tranquilty and doing so in a non-violent way

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
a peacemaker is someone who works on bringing tranquility or harmony to any situation which is without peace
forces of death are anything which kills harmony/peace/tranquilty
resistant peace would be resisting anything which kills harmony/peace/tranquilty and doing so in a non-violent way

Sal, I heard once in a message that a peacekeeper is one who puts a lid on a boiling pot, while a peacemaker is one who searches for the source of the heat and endeavors to turn it down.

Sal, I heard once in a message that a peacekeeper is one who puts a lid on a boiling pot, while a peacemaker is one who searches for the source of the heat and endeavors to turn it down.

Are the current U.S.-sponsored Israeli/Palestinian peace talks a peacemaking or peacekeeping effort? What is the source of the heat?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Motar, a riddle.

"He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls."
-Tennyson's "The Eagle"

Who is my mother? And who are my brethern?"
-Matthew 12:48 (KJV)

Whom does the Eagle see as his brethern?

Spade, your answer to the riddle?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Spade, your answer to the riddle?

Soul Mate

There is much to come between
An errant lady and her lord.
But still remains an ardent dream
Of souls united and restored.

O, the bliss of newborn love,
Resting in his matchless grace.
Longing for a word or touch -
Staring spellbound at his face.

Has there ever been so fair
A prince of peace upon this soil?
Such a treasure, priceless, rare
Is the lover of my soul.

Was I now to know him near
I would all contented be.
He dispels my every fear
And bears me to eternity.

Who is the soul mate in the poem, Spade?

What is resistant peace?

"One of the most difficult Christian doctrines to accept is the doctrine of Christian Nonviolence. The reason why it is among the most difficult Christian beliefs to embrace is because it directly contradicts what American culture has taught us from day one.
However, the teachings of Jesus were always radical. They were in conflict with culture from the first moment he uttered them, and remain so today. This is because we all live submersed into kingdoms of men. The invitation Jesus brings is to forsake these earthly kingdoms and to begin living in the Kingdom of God… a kingdom that does things very differently than anything you’ll experience here on earth.
One of these principles is that the Kingdom of God is nonviolent, and the hallmark of the kingdom is a nonviolent love of enemies. Early Christians understood this, but ultimately violent principles of earthly kingdoms were reintroduced to the Christian community and over the course of time, Christians assimilated to this new position.
In today’s Christianity, many have grown tired and dissatisfied with the American version of Jesus’ teachings and have begun a return to the historic, orthodox faith- including original doctrines which have long since been discarded.
If you’ve never really wrestled with the doctrine of Christian nonviolence, it can be tough at first- it might sound more like hippie culture than Christian culture, even though the doctrine originated with Jesus himself."
Common Objections & Misunderstandings on Christian Nonviolence

Resistant peace is Christian non-violence.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
In order for one to be totally committed to the Teachings of Christ, one has to put complete faith in a here after as in heaven.

At all cost to anything worldly, you cannot perform any act of violence.

Thou shalt not kill is thou shalt not kill.

End of .

No justification for any regression into protecting you or your family or way of life and country.

Christ allowed Himself a scourging and a crucifixion in order to stay His course.

Any justification told to you by those that rule you to go and kill in this god's name are not Christian.

If you really believe, then this world is nothing compared to the eternity promised to you.

Any Christian that kills is not a Christian.

The first step to any violence towards you is turn the other cheek.
No matter what the bully does , you turn the other cheek and leave it in this god's hands.

Now I do not condone anything i just posted.
I do not agree with anything i posted.

but

To be a True christian and walk the talk the above is sacrosanct.

Die before you slap back , and enjoy a life in heaven.

A Buddhist monk would commend you and agree with the price paid for eternal liberation from all that is worldly.

It is a way to blow it all out and enter Nirvana .

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Thou shalt not kill is thou shalt not kill.
"But isn’t the Old Testament violent?

Yes, it is. There is lots of violence all throughout the Old Testament. However, using the Old Testament to justify violence is to see the Old Testament as a rule book of sorts that was written for us to emulate.
But, that’s not what it is.
Much of the Old Testament is the genre of “historic narrative”. It tells a story of a people- Israel, and includes the good, bad, and the ugly of their history. To say that we should emulate the historic narratives of the Old Testament is to use scripture in a way it isn’t intended.
In the New Testament, Paul teaches us that we are to imitate Christ. He refers to the Old Testament as a “shadow” but argues that “reality” is found in Jesus– and that’s who we should emulate– Jesus, the nonviolent lover of enemies."
Common Objections & Misunderstandings on Christian Nonviolence