Christ became saviour when he died or when he rose?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Read the Book and find out. The whole thing and don't peak at the end and declare "the devil did it" like Born Agains do.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
So it had nothing to do with his death?

"One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: 'Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!'

But the other criminal rebuked him. 'Don’t you fear God,' he said, 'since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.'

Jesus answered him, 'Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:39-43 NIV)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Jesus has the potential to be a "saviour" when he is remembered by his followers. Ghandi has that potential and so do many others.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So it had nothing to do with his death?

Did I say that?

It can't be proved or disproved that he actually died or was risen (reborn) That's the part accepted on Faith.

When he dared to challenge the powers that be, he spoke for - and encouraged - many others who lived in fear of the mighty. That is worthy of the "saviour" handle to the logical side of me.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013

Does any Christian know the answer?
L-Man,
In my opinion, as a Christian and not a theologian, Jesus was always THE Savior - even when he was just a baby. Part of THE CHRIST'S mission was to teach and he did for a number of years. The atoning work of the cross was finished as Jesus says in John 19.

Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” 29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

I believe both His death and resurrection go together and complete the atoning work for our sins.
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;

Our certainity of the accomplished reconciliation to God depends on the resurrection. This assures us Jesus is who he said he was.

Methinks the question to ask oneself is "Is The Christ my Savior"?

Also, look at Motar's post. Jesus had not yet died and he told the criminal beside him "TODAY, you will be with me in paradise".

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Does any Christian know the answer?
Depends upon which version of Christianity you embrace...Protestant is one way Catholic another...it's all quite complex... luckily God isn't.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Depends upon which version of Christianity you embrace...Protestant is one way Catholic another...it's all quite complex... luckily God isn't.

Why don't you elaborate on that. Which way for which sect.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Why don't you elaborate on that. Which way for which sect.
my girlfriend just took a course in the differences Ger and although she explained it to me, I don't think I could do so adequately or correctly... I didn't even know there was a huge difference...but apparently the Catholic perspective is more philosophical and the Protestant more biblical or pre-crucifixion, post-crucifixion...sorry... I just don't have that level of understanding. Her husband was in the seminary for 6 years so he has an advantage that I just don't have.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
my girlfriend just took a course in the differences Ger and although she explained it to me, I don't think I could do so adequately or correctly... I didn't even know there was a huge difference...but apparently the Catholic perspective is more philosophical and the Protestant more biblical or pre-crucifixion, post-crucifixion...sorry... I just don't have that level of understanding. Her husband was in the seminary for 6 years so he has an advantage that I just don't have.

Yes, The Catholic Church does not use a literal eye with the Bible. It does believe that Jesus was a real person, and they do believe in the Holy Trinity, but unlike the break away Christian sects they do not take the Bible literally.

As for my take on the OP it is the same as cj44. Jesus was and is always the "Saviour". From conception.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes, The Catholic Church does not use a literal eye with the Bible. It does believe that Jesus was a real person, and they do believe in the Holy Trinity, but unlike the break away Christian sects they do not take the Bible literally.

As for my take on the OP it is the same as cj44. Jesus was and is always the "Saviour". From conception.
yes, I would say cj44's version as well...from conception

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Did I say that?

It can't be proved or disproved that he actually died or was risen (reborn) That's the part accepted on Faith.

When he dared to challenge the powers that be, he spoke for - and encouraged - many others who lived in fear of the mighty. That is worthy of the "saviour" handle to the logical side of me.

Well stated.

Yes.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Sal & Gerry, I think He was Savior even prior to His arrival on earth. His birth came at the appointed time so He would dwell with us upon earth, but I think he is/was always Savior. (So, even before "conception"). Old Testament messianic prophecies - the coming of the Christ (Messiah).
Certainly something to boggle our minds with.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sal & Gerry, I think He was Savior even prior to His arrival on earth. His birth came at the appointed time so He would dwell with us upon earth, but I think he is/was always Savior. (So, even before "conception"). Old Testament messianic prophecies - the coming of the Christ (Messiah).
viour

Before the Holy spirit planted the seed in Mary, the Saviour was just talk, prophesy.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

Agree, cj.