Why are many Christians so intolerant of other religions and spiritual paths?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Like why they can't find the Creator/God connection?

They have no Jesuit education. The Cree and Metis could dig the connection and helped spread the discipline it requires far and wide throughout the FNs.

Need some sweet grass to smudge before Mass?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Like why they can't find the Creator/God connection?

They have no Jesuit education. The Cree and Metis could dig the connection and helped spread the discipline it requires far and wide throughout the FNs.

Need some sweet grass to smudge before Mass?
Yup, my teacher was a Cree medicine man. He included Christian symbols in his ceremonies. I also met a Cree Catholic priest who used sweet grass, sage, cedar and the pipe during mass and went regularly to the sweat lodge.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Simply because many of them are, committing terrorist acts in the name of their religion.
trying to change laws and customs in a country through the intimidation of limp wristed politicians who are scared of taking a stand.

Go to one of these other countries, and try to change their laws and mess around with their religious customs.

you will probably end up in jail or executed

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yup, my teacher was a Cree medicine man. He included Christian symbols in his ceremonies. I also met a Cree Catholic priest who used sweet grass, sage, cedar and the pipe during mass and went regularly to the sweat lodge.

They were cool then.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A Cree Jesuit Catholic Priest no doubt. They and all the others still send their kids to the Catholic Schools in good numbers.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
For you, Motar and cj44. Let's hear why you find it so difficult to follow Jesus' teaching of tolerance.

Thanks for the discussion topic, Cliffy. Which Christian teaching of tolerance in particular do you reference?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It is fear that what you were led to believe since childhood is sheer bunkum. And, it is hard to be tribal when members of other tribes move next door, have different beliefs, yet appear vaguely human. As long as there was a technological and a deep cultual divide, superiority came naturally, god given in fact. Today, fear of being misled leads to hunkering down, closing ears, eyes, and minds to the big, wide world. That hunkering down is worshipped as "faith". We recognize the frailities of faith in others, hell we bomb them, but are largely blind to our own.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Thanks for the discussion topic, Cliffy. Which Christian teaching of tolerance in particular do you reference?

Where my beliefs differ from yours? That may be a point for discussion.

It is fear that what you were led to believe since childhood is sheer bunkum. And, it is hard to be tribal when members of other tribes move next door, have different beliefs, yet appear vaguely human. As long as there was a technological and a deep cultual divide, superiority came naturally, god given in fact. Today, fear of being misled leads to hunkering down, closing ears, eyes, and minds to the big, wide world. That hunkering down is worshipped as "faith". We recognize the frailities of faith in others, hell we bomb them, but are largely blind to our own.

Mighty wide brush you are using.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Tolerance is not something to be dispensed in a wide broadcast like lawn seed. Over indulgence in tolerance may mean that you have no limits or porous limits. I bet that many who advocate broad tolerance would not tolerate my beliefs actions nor appearance. It's become a buzz word more meaningless with every passing day.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Simply because many of them are, committing terrorist acts in the name of their religion.
trying to change laws and customs in a country through the intimidation of limp wristed politicians who are scared of taking a stand.

Go to one of these other countries, and try to change their laws and mess around with their religious customs.

you will probably end up in jail or executed

Every US president in my lifetime has bombed and strafed civilians and not one of them failed to invoke their Christian heritage and the conviction that God was with them. Thanks to our PMs visit to Israel we now know for certain that he tolerates a murderous state with no reservation.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Jesus' teaching of tolerance.

"One of the pet words of this age is tolerance. It is a good word, but we have tried to stretch it over too great an area. We have applied it, too often, where it does not belong. The word tolerant means liberal and broad-minded. In one sense, it implies the compromise of one’s convictions, a yielding of ground upon important issues. We have become tolerant about divorce, the use of alcohol, delinquency, wickedness in high places, immorality, crime and godlessness. We have been sapped of conviction, drained of our beliefs, and we are bereft of our faith.

The sciences, however, are narrow-minded. There is no room for careless broad-mindedness in the laboratory. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level; it is never 100 degrees nor 189 degrees, nor 211. Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees; it is never 23 degrees nor 31. Mathematics is also narrow-minded. The sum of two plus two is four, never three-and-a-half. Geometry is narrow-minded. It says that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points on a plane. A compass is narrow-minded; it always points to the magnetic north. If it were broad-minded, ships at sea and planes in the air would be in danger. If you should ask a man the directions to New York City and he said, “Oh, just take any road you wish, they all lead to New York,” you would question both his sanity and his truthfulness. Nevertheless, we have somehow gotten it into our minds that “all roads lead to Heaven.”

But Jesus Christ, who journeyed from Heaven to Earth and back to Heaven again, who knew the way better than anyone who ever lived, said, “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14)."
The Sin of Tolerance | Decision Magazine | BGEA

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Christ was tolerant he didn't demand that everyone believe in his teachings.
The problem you have with clergy is they want to be the definitive word on
the faith. Its not about faith its about power that is the problem. We have
other religions that are hell bent on power as well. Force and demand are
the two remedies for massive insecurities. I knew three priests who were
cool as you put it. They were tolerant of others and they went on to talk
about how some of the customs of others faiths were used to enhance the
Christian belief system.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I have only recently discovered my Christian thinking as a result of research and consequently reinforced my own intolerance of New Age Christianity. It bears no resemblance to the original philosophy and consequently has no traction in reality, no utility, no respect or knowledge of the teachings of the framers. It's a thin soup, no meat, no veggies no salt.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Mighty wide brush you are using.

I've lived on the Prairies since gawd was a toddler. So, I try to be accurate.

"One of the pet words of this age is tolerance. It is a good word, but we have tried to stretch it over too great an area. We have applied it, too often, where it does not belong. The word tolerant means liberal and broad-minded. In one sense, it implies the compromise of one’s convictions, a yielding of ground upon important issues. We have become tolerant about divorce, the use of alcohol, delinquency, wickedness in high places, immorality, crime and godlessness. We have been sapped of conviction, drained of our beliefs, and we are bereft of our faith.

The sciences, however, are narrow-minded. There is no room for careless broad-mindedness in the laboratory. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level; it is never 100 degrees nor 189 degrees, nor 211. Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees; it is never 23 degrees nor 31. Mathematics is also narrow-minded. The sum of two plus two is four, never three-and-a-half. Geometry is narrow-minded. It says that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points on a plane. A compass is narrow-minded; it always points to the magnetic north. If it were broad-minded, ships at sea and planes in the air would be in danger. If you should ask a man the directions to New York City and he said, “Oh, just take any road you wish, they all lead to New York,” you would question both his sanity and his truthfulness. Nevertheless, we have somehow gotten it into our minds that “all roads lead to Heaven.”

But Jesus Christ, who journeyed from Heaven to Earth and back to Heaven again, who knew the way better than anyone who ever lived, said, “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14)."
The Sin of Tolerance | Decision Magazine | BGEA

The Crown rests.