Christianity and Religion

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The need of the hour is to distinguish and differentiate between "religion" and Christianity.

Christianity is NOT Religion

What is religion? Was Jesus Christ religious? Is Christianity a religion?
Jesus was ant-religion. He railed against the self righteous. Ironic that people turned it into a religion and get all self righteous about their religion being the only true religion.

A true Christian would emulate Jesus' life and teachings. Instead, today's Christianity is about the worship of a deified Jesus and nothing about his teachings.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Get yourself a red letter Bible and a copy of Strong's concordance.
I read the red letter bible and that is why I believe Jesus was against religion. I also have it on good authority (doctorate of divinity and a master degree in theology) that, in the original texts, he never said he was the only "Son of God". He said "I am a son of god" and " we are all children of god".

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Jesus was about an inner personal revolution not about an organized church
with temples and churches. It was about a personal journey and it turned out
to be the very thing it was meant not to be. Christ was also somewhat political
and he was both left and right depending on the issue that is because he didn't
blindly follow either side on the issues of the day.
Most Christians today are taught to believe one thing. Jesus said otherwise.
He used his head and wanted people to think not just blindly follow. Yes faith
is part of it but actually thinking for yourself is required if you are to have faith in
anything.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I read the red letter bible and that is why I believe Jesus was against religion. I also have it on good authority (doctorate of divinity and a master degree in theology) that, in the original texts, he never said he was the only "Son of God". He said "I am a son of god" and " we are all children of god".
He also said "I am the way, the truth, and the life ,no man cometh unto the father but through me"

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He did not say we all had to believe exactly the same thing either
If you explore the testaments there are dozens of them from the
followers written years later. Matthew Mark Luke and John don't
match up in the Bible cause the texts were a compromise of the
four fighting for the power of leadership. Several other texts give
a much greater view of the teaching that never made the front
page as it were. The Christian religion is incomplete as it does
not provide a real view of who JC was or the full context of his
teaching it was all overshadowed by politics.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
What is religion?

A selection of Biblical verses referencing religion:

"Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive." (Acts 25:19 NIV)

"They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee." (Acts 26:5 NIV)

"But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God." (1 Timothy 5:4 NIV)

"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:26-27 NIV)

The apostles Luke and Paul both reference religion in their writings, regarding religion as practical or living faith. In this sense, Christianity is not a religion. Rather, religion is the practical aspect of Christianity.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't believe it at all, but that is what the bible said.
I think there are a lot of passages that were attributed to Jesus but were added later on to justify the religion of the day. The Gnostic Gospels tell a very different story, as do the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But don't Christians believe in the bible? At least the new testament?
What is needed is some perspective on what the bible is, how it came into being in its present form and who was responsible for all the additions and omissions over the centuries. It does not resemble the original texts written about Jesus back in the first three centuries after his death. What people believe is irrelevant to the truth. Most people have no idea about the wheres, why and whose of the bible. They just believe what someone else told them to believe and are terrified of critical thought.

A good example of Christian mentality can be seen about in my post #2 where 2 "Christians" redded me for saying what I believe. They obviously do not follow the teachings of Jesus.

Last edited:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
But I wasn't always a non Christian, thankfully it was those super good Christians who convinced me that there is no god.