Hundreds protest B.C. dog slaughter

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Hundreds protest B.C. dog slaughter

Last Updated: Saturday, February 5, 2011 | 4:23 PM PT

Hundreds of dog lovers attended a rally and march in Whistler, B.C., on Saturday to protest the slaughter of 100 sled dogs by a local tour company.

Allegations surfaced last month that an employee of Whistler-based Howling Dogs Tours used a shotgun to slaughter the dogs last April — as business slowed following the 2010 Winter Olympics — and then dumped the animals in a mass grave.

News of the slaughter sparked outrage throughout British Columbia and made headlines across the globe.

"This is an opportunity for people in the area for people to show how much they care about animals and to do it in a positive way," said rally organizer Jordan Tesluk.

"There is a lot of frustration and a lot of shock, and this is a way for people to let their feelings out in a positive way by showing their love for animals."

A second rally is scheduled for Sunday afternoon in Ambleside Park in West Vancouver.
The BC SPCA continues to investigate the incident with the support of the RCMP.​

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
There's one big problem to this that I see and that's the negative impact it'll have to the Sled Dog Racing sport and those who use dogs for Recreational sledding.

And really, this person did not look hard enough to home the dogs. Most mushers I know of would have tried to do something to help this guy if they'd known the only other option for the dogs outside of being re-homed was death. If they weren't able to take the dogs themselves, then they'd suggest people who could. Hell, most people in the mushing world knows that there are recreational mushers out there who are always looking for dogs that don't need to be anything special or for the real races. No, this guy did not look hard at getting the dogs saved at all.

I hope they revoke the person's compensation claim, hit the owner for a huge fine/jail time and it doesn't get all crazy to think all mushers would do this to their dogs.