Currency counterfeiting may be on rise: report

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Have you ever had one of these bills given to you. Having been the victim and having gone to the Royal Bank with it, it was simply taken from me and never returned with no compensation. No explanation and no formal RCMP report number given..

As if the Bank of Canada doesn't have enough to worry about, a new report says there has been a surge of counterfeit banknotes in circulation.

A flood of fake $20 and $100 bills pushed the value of successfully tendered counterfeit bills to at least $5 million by Sept. 30, says an internal document.

That's already 50 per cent higher than the $3.3 million worth of counterfeits passed through all of 2007.

The phoney $100s first appeared in the spring in the Toronto area, peaking in May, then "migrated to the Montreal area where volumes peaked in June," says the central bank report, obtained by the Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

Currency counterfeiting may be on rise: report

Have you been victim of any scams ?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I wasn't aware of the problem! By the way, anyone have change for the twenty-five dollar bill i got at the ATM?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This really shouldn't surprise anyone. A few people in gov't and private have engineered society to benefit them and at the cost of the rest of us. So there are a number of weaker-willed characters who try taking slivers of the pie now and then.
I cannot think of anyone who would not love to be able to go live in comfort somewhere or even where they are and be left alone by such a society.
The ONLY way to change this society, if we cannot escape its insidiousness, invasiveness, and interference with what we each call a good life, is to group TOGETHER like schoolkids banding together in protection from a bully.
But we won't do that. Apathy and complacency keeps us from any major attempts at change for the better.

BTW, I have a 1867 Confederation $3 bill for sale cheap.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Counterfeiting becomes a reality when the chances of going to jail are weighed against the chances of losing your home and living on the street. the food is probably better in jail

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Counterfeiting becomes a reality when the chances of going to jail are weighed against the chances of losing your home and living on the street. the food is probably better in jail

Perhaps, but I don't think I'd care much for the company.

'specially........BEN

BEN DOVER.

OMG:silent:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
a couple of yrs back I was working in a used appliance shop...one of the local cops came in and bought a used washing machine...paid cash with all $20s. at the end of the day the boss takes the days takings to the bank. The bank says 2 of the 20 dollar notes are fake...only one person paid with cash that day............what better way to "circulate" fake dollars, get the law to do it. Oh, and the bank refused to give them back so he could go ask the local officer about it.
Ah well........ as soon as we get the micro-chip under our skin that "they" are pushing for, the better off we'll be..........

I wonder if said chip will have "terminator" ability....

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I received change for a $20 at one store, went to use a $10 from the change at another store and they refused it, said it was fake blah, blah. I didn't have the receipt from the original purchase (I guess it blew away in the wind, although I could swear I placed in the trash outside the store!) so, I went back to the original store, bought something for $0.65 and went on my merry way.

Reactions: Ron in Regina