What does the interest rate drop mean to you?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The Bank of Canada chopped a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point Tuesday as the central bank moved to combat economic weakness.

With the interest rate reduction — the biggest drop since one of a similar size in October 2001— the bank's overnight rate now stands at 1.5 per cent, a level not seen since 1958.

More...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It means lower interest.

Anyone in a variable rate mortgage should be damn happy about this one.

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
I remember about 4 months ago a drop in the interest rates - credit card rates went up by 1% after that. Seems to me that credit card rates should be about 4 points lower if it were to follow prime over the last few years. Jack Layton proposed a cap on Credit card rates in relation to Prime - Think it is about time for that.
P.S. folks - Expect your insurance rates to be going up soon - With all the money the insurance companies have lost in their investments they will be out gouging the consumer again - But this time they will not have a hurricane to blame it on.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The Bank of Canada chopped a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point Tuesday as the central bank moved to combat economic weakness.

With the interest rate reduction — the biggest drop since one of a similar size in October 2001— the bank's overnight rate now stands at 1.5 per cent, a level not seen since 1958.

More...
It could mean something or it may mean nothing. Depends on what the other banks do with their rate. If they follow suit, people with mtgs. should take advantage and renew at the lowest rate they can get if they are near renewal time anyway. However a drop in loan rates means a drop in what you earn in in savings so all of it is truly very personal. I don't think interest earnings are worth having now so they really can't drop much further. I guess that for a few days it will be a wait and see situation.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The drop means nothing to me. We don’t have any kind of loan, no mortgage (we paid off the mortgage years ago), so interest rate does not affect me.

As to credit card interest rates, we always pay the balance by the due date; so again, I don’t care what the credit card interest rate is.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I remember about 4 months ago a drop in the interest rates - credit card rates went up by 1% after that. Seems to me that credit card rates should be about 4 points lower if it were to follow prime over the last few years. Jack Layton proposed a cap on Credit card rates in relation to Prime - Think it is about time for that.
P.S. folks - Expect your insurance rates to be going up soon - With all the money the insurance companies have lost in their investments they will be out gouging the consumer again - But this time they will not have a hurricane to blame it on.
mit - credit cards should have been capped long ago. If you shop around for insurance, you can usually come up with something decent. As for house insurance I consider it to be one of the most useless expenses we have anyway. Deductibles are too high for nearly all claims so if your house isn't a complete write off - what good is insurance? However - we still have to have it. Same with a car. My tail light was smucked. My insurance doesn't help to fix it. Deductible is too high to claim any anyway. It's a little like buying a lotto ticket for that once in a lifetime chance of it meaning anything or being just a piece of paper you purchased.
Merle :smile: (your librarian)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
IP. Insurance is only for risk that can't be diversified away. Unfortunately as you said it's there for a once in a lifetime catastrophe. The complete rip offs are extended warranties.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There should be no stimulus package until a number of conditions are met:

1. 0 inflation. Unfortunately we have failed to achieve that mark because right now we have -0.8% inflation (i.e. o.8% diflation), and as far as I'm concerned, deflation is just as bad as inflation because it causes the same kind of uncertainty concerning the stability of the dollar's value. This would be a good sign that government stimulus is necessary if it weren't for the current interest rate, however, which brings us up to...
2. 0% interest rate. The bank of Canada has dropped the interest rate to 1.5% just today. Hopefully this will be enough to put an end to the deflationary spiral. If not, then let's lower the interest rate some more, perhaps even down to 0% if necessary. Until we reach the point where the inflation is at 0% and the interest rate is at 0% and we still haven't ended the recession, then and only then would I be in favour of finally moving towards any stimulus package. And nothing showing favouritism towards one particular company or industry, but something that could benefit all industries equally, such as increased funding for education in those trades and professions that seem to be proving most resilient against the recession, leaving it up to the industry itself to hire from the new pool of qualified tradesmen and professionals the new industries need.

Again, I'm not against a stimulus package, nor even against increased taxes if necessary, but either of these moves ought to be last resorts. And if we do have to increase spending, then let's not go into deficit spending but rather increase taxes if necessary.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
we bought an RESP for amelia about a year ago. So far we've paid in $700 and it's worth about $650. Fortunately it's not a great loss due to the youth of the investment. And if we can afford it, we're certainly planning to pay more in when we get the feeling the recession is at its worst