How safe do you feel when it comes to driving over bridges, under overpasses and usin

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A Montreal parking garage that collapsed killing one person yesterday was built in the late 60s or 70s, and was of the same vintage as a Laval overpass that collapsed two years ago. Some critics point to this as a sign of sign of our crumbling infrastructure, much of which was built during the 1960s and 70s, and may be reaching replacement age.

How safe do you feel when it comes to driving over bridges, under overpasses and using Canada's infrastructure, in general?

More...

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Points to shoddy workmanship and the Mafioso skimming profits from the construction industry.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
A Montreal parking garage that collapsed killing one person yesterday was built in the late 60s or 70s, and was of the same vintage as a Laval overpass that collapsed two years ago. Some critics point to this as a sign of sign of our crumbling infrastructure, much of which was built during the 1960s and 70s, and may be reaching replacement age.

How safe do you feel when it comes to driving over bridges, under overpasses and using Canada's infrastructure, in general?

More...
Montreal and surrounding areas are notorious for by inferior materials. Put more loot in da boot!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
About as safe as I feel when I'm driving under the sky. I suppose there is always going to be imperfections in infrastructure, but you may as well worry about a meteor flying into you. More people come to a bad end through their own stupidity than from freak incidents. If you are going to worry, worry about performing the task at hand properly.

Reactions: karrie

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
While working in Ottawa, I had a chance to work with a structural engineer from Montreal who was hired to investigate the bridge collapse two years ago. I'm not sure if his findings were ever published but he found some serious engineering flaws in the bridge design.

Part of the problem with our infrastructure is shoddy workmanship, part is old age and part is poor planning from the get go. Sometimes our systems of checks and balances is sorely lacking. There's a reason why quality assurance is part of engineering and I think it was overlooked in the case of the Montreal bridge.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Miss the point of the question, again?

Get out of the wrong side of your bed this morning???? Of course I understand the question, and YES I FEEL SAFE DRIVING OVER BRIDGES, UNDER UNDERPASSES AND USING PARKING GARAGES. All I added was when your time comes it comes, nothing you can do about it anyway. What don't you understand?????????????????????????????

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:clock:<<<<<< When that lil smily dork gets sucked down thru thet there lil hole, his time is up.

Likewise, sayeth Nuggler, when YER time is up, it's up. Ain't nothin ya ken do about it neither.

Not sayin you couldn't be trapped in a car under a bridge, all squished up, in mortifying pain.........."until" your time is up...that ther could happen two. Life's a crap shoot. NO?

Or you could be.........what was the question?:eek:fftheair:

:dontknow:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
:clock:<<<<<< When that lil smily dork gets sucked down thru thet there lil hole, his time is up.

Likewise, sayeth Nuggler, when YER time is up, it's up. Ain't nothin ya ken do about it neither.

Not sayin you couldn't be trapped in a car under a bridge, all squished up, in mortifying pain.........."until" your time is up...that ther could happen two. Life's a crap shoot. NO?

Or you could be.........what was the question?:eek:fftheair:

:dontknow:

How about taking a long hike of a short pier, numbnuts.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

I'm absolutely terrified!!!

The government should provide someone to hold my hand when I have to drive through scary places.

I mean parking garages collapse so often in Canada it's insane they haven't been outlawed yet!!!

Whenever I see a parking garage or slabs of cement I think "terrorist!"

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There are two bridges that always give me pause for safety thought when I'm on them. The Lions Gate and the Pattulo.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There are two bridges that always give me pause for safety thought when I'm on them. The Lions Gate and the Pattulo.

Yeah, that pattulo bridge, how many times we drove over that bridge, without a care in the
world, but very aware that is was too narrow, traffic went too fast, and there was lots of
accidents, and it always looks like its ready to fall into the fraser river.

Same with the lions gate.