Remembrance Day: National holiday?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
In Canada, Remembrance Day is a holiday for federal government employees; for private business, provincial governments, and schools, its status varies by province.

In Western Canada and Atlantic Canada, it is a general holiday; in Ontario and Quebec, it is not, although corporations that are federally registered may make the day a full holiday, or instead, designate a provincially-recognized holiday on a different day.

Should Remembrance Day be a national holiday for everyone?

More...

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The fact that REMEMBERECE DAY is not a national holiday, speaks volumes on the divide between people who respect the fallen men and women of military combat.

REMEMBERENCE DAY SHOULD BE WITH OUT DOUBT A NATIONAL HOLIDAY MANDETORY TO ALL PROVINCES…………………….

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I actually hold Remembrance Day near and dear to my heart, but I don't think it should be a national holiday. I think people can sometimes go overboard with military worship and it shouldn't be required. We all choose our professions nowadays. If you want to honour soldiers' contributions, then fine. I do too. But, if you don't I think that's ok.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The fact that REMEMBERECE DAY is not a national holiday, speaks volumes on the divide between people who respect the fallen men and women of military combat.

Why is it disrespectful? Do you favor a national holiday to honour the police that get killed in the line of duty? Probably not, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't honour their sacrifice. It may just mean you don't need the government to tell you to do it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Should Remembrance Day be a national holiday for everyone?

Absolutely! We should also meet in town squares dressed in uniform and sing songs of nationalism. Heil Harpo! Heil Harpo!

It would be a good time for the government to show off its latest tools of war! Say in a grand parade on national TV?

Wow, yes how glorious....

Get bent.

The CBC propaganda machine would love that huh :roll:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Absolutely! We should also meet in town squares dressed in uniform and sing songs of nationalism. Heil Harpo! Heil Harpo!

It would be a good time for the government to show off its latest tools of war! Say in a grand parade on national TV?

Get bent.

Wow, you're getting as bad as beave with the boogy man talk.

Get a hobby.:roll:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Get bent.

You paint a very vivid picture. I could see "May Day" as I read your post.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I would hate to think that so many people dying to protect our freedom would be forgotten. Rememberance day should be a holiday. A day to remember, reflect and pay our respect to those who gave they're lives so we could gather in groups of our choosing and enjoy the freedoms we have.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
National day of remembrance.

For those who gave of themselves so we might be free.

From all tyranny, and slavery.

"Should it be a National Holiday"

What a typical trolling CBC question.

Yah!!! Let's have a holiday, and go on a picnic, like as in Vimy........

Firecrackers and hot dogs.

Yippeee.

Sick making, really.

CBC, that is.:angry3:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Don't like the term holiday in reference to our dead veterans..just seems to be disrespectful! Remembrance Day is the only term i use and my province has made it a day off for everyone.