Should we shop our way out of this economic downturn?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Many of the proposals for dealing with the looming recession are about getting bucks back in the hands of consumers so they will start spending again! What do you think?

More...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Give me the money and I'll see what I can do.

If they're just expecting me to blow what little I got just so some yuppie can get a few extra cents on his shares, I say....... welcome to the poor house, here's a cup of lipton, the sun and a magnifying glass..... get to work and you might have something to eat by sundown.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It isn't about spending or consuming twit. We've had thirty years of that with the obvious results. It's buying you halfwit, it's what we spend on and when and why, it's all the debt we buy, we've been selling our time way to cheap. get me a stick so I can beat a good question out of you, retarded machine.:lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What is this then? The trickle up theory of economics?

I'm sick of stuff. I hope this is the death nail for our consumer culture. Shopping isn't what made Greece or Rome great.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
What is this then? The trickle up theory of economics?

I'm sick of stuff. I hope this is the death nail for our consumer culture. Shopping isn't what made Greece or Rome great.

I used to buy two of everything just to be sure one worked.
Those days are long gone.

.....but in this crisis we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Sad, to have to make a choice......

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I don't see much of a choice really.

The wealthy elite need our money to stay wealthy but we need our money to stay alive.

The wealthy elite just better hope we don't start needing their money to stay alive.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I don't see much of a choice really.

The wealthy elite need our money to stay wealthy but we need our money to stay alive.

The wealthy elite just better hope we don't start needing their money to stay alive.

.....S.F......shades of the Russian Revolution?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's silly. We did that in the US remember? I got my $600 rebate check in May. How well did that work to help the economy here?

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Green friendly

Buy a bike.,buy a computer, board game...Take atrip to the market.Go on an adventure downtown to check out the latest cool gizmo's Noone says you gtta buy it today!....Spend money on items you will get long term use of...Instead of eating fast food all the time..Visit the market have fun buying anything you want to eat for that day.Take it to the park ,have a picnic with your family!.....There are many ways you can get more by consuming less....Don't give into the demons of instant gratification...Buy items you and the whole family can enjoy for the long run!....Have fun learning about and choosing from the little things that will make your Environment more enjoyable...Like a picture ...New curtains...A new video game..Pair of ice skate!!..

Start a hobby like ...making music , painting,,,or collecting Gold coins!.(lol)

I collect ol' and new money banks!!!....Full with ol'coins!...It's a win win hobby!...lol....

Tons of novel ideas to explore....!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Buy a bike.,buy a computer, board game...Take atrip to the market.Go on an adventure downtown to check out the latest cool gizmo's Noone says you gtta buy it today!....Spend money on items you will get long term use of...Instead of eating fast food all the time..Visit the market have fun buying anything you want to eat for that day.Take it to the park ,have a picnic with your family!.....There are many ways you can get more by consuming less....Don't give into the demons of instant gratification...Buy items you and the whole family can enjoy for the long run!....Have fun learning about and choosing from the little things that will make your Environment more enjoyable...Like a picture ...New curtains...A new video game..Pair of ice skate!!..

Start a hobby like ...making music , painting,,,or collecting Gold coins!.(lol)

I collect ol' and new money banks!!!....Full with ol'coins!...It's a win win hobby!...lol....

Tons of novel ideas to explore....!

No offense intended.....just like paid commercial programmes.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Who would have thought spending money we don't have, would cost so much?

If overspending got us here, then maybe we should start saving...