What do you think of PETA's stunts?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
PETA says it wants world famous Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to tap nursing moms, rather than cows, for the milk used in its ice cream.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is asking the ice cream maker to begin using breast milk in its products instead of cow's milk, saying it would reduce the suffering of cows and calves and give ice cream lovers a healthier product.
The idea got a cool reception Thursday from Ben & Jerry's officials, the company's customers and even La Leche League International, the world's oldest breast-feeding support organization, which promotes the practice — for babies, anyway.
Ashley Byrne, a campaign coordinator for PETA, acknowledged the implausibility of substituting breast milk for cow's milk, but said it's no stranger than humans consuming the milk of another species.
Read full story
What do you think of PETAS stunts - are they achieving their goals or just drumming up press?

More...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
PETAS? I like mine with seal meat and shredded sea lettuce. It's good with boiled lobster too. Goes great with caribou milk.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Then you'll have the Pro-Lifers fighting and complaining that those mothers who are nursing never cared for their children, as they are now taking away their milk from their new born babies for profit.

You just can't win.

But PETA is dumb anyways. If they wanted to be taken seriously, they should start acting seriously.

If we all followed all the damn things PETA wants and doesn't, we'd all be dead.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... nice Nugg.

I have zero respect for PETA. They don't argue with logic. They argue with insults, threats, emotional manipulations, and down right ludicrousness. Zero respect for that.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I agree with the idea animals should be treated humanly and they should be afforded natural comforts when possible (I only eat free run chicken eggs for example) but PETA takes the concept waaaay too far IMO.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow....I can picture it already. Third world countries would dominate the human milk economy.
Huge barns full of women hooked up to industrial milking machines. Line ups of busty women
going in one end of the building and exiting (much deflated) out the backside of the building as
some agricultural accountant drops three coins in her hands and say's, "Next!"

Woman that produce more milk for longer periods would become desirable mates (for economic
reasons) and as the generations go by, through unintentional selective breeding, woman would
develop massively enlarged utters which would lead to chronic back issues for those that still
walked upright....

Yeah....I'll pass on the human milk ice cream, but thanks anyway.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Animal rights group PETA says the word ‘pet’ is patronizing to animals, and we should stop using it

Leading animal rights group PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has a problem with the word “pet,” and wants you to stop using it.

Instead, the group says, dog owners should call themselves dog “guardians,” and pets should be referred to as “companion animals” — because how we describe our animals dictates how we treat them.

On Tuesday, Jennifer White of PETA went on leading U.K. television show Good Morning Britain, and in a combative segment, urged people to think of alternatives, the Independent reports.

The main problem with the word “pet,” she said, is that it is patronizing to animals.

“A lot of people at home who have dogs or cats will call these animals pets and refer to themselves as owners and this implies that the animals are a possession, like a car for example,” she said, as host Piers Morgan spoke over her, saying “Oh for God’s sake!”

“When you refer to animals not as the living beings as they are but as an inanimate object, it can reflect our treatment on these animals,” she continued.

A dog owner on the show, who didn’t take Smith’s view, said PETA was trivializing the good work it does to protect animals, by concentrating on such banalities.

As you might expect, pet owners immediately took to Twitter to have their say, with many pouring scorn on the PETA representative’s remarks.

“You are being ridiculous and doing harm to your organisation,” tweeted one user. “Check the definitions: PET: An animal kept for companionship PEST: A destructive animal that attacks crops, food or livestock. Are people using PETA funds for this charade?”

“For once, I actually agree with (Piers Morgan),” one tweeted, referring to the show’s divisive host. “Not being allowed to call your pets a pet is absolutely ridiculous.”

PETA, though, was unbowed, with its official account tweeting soon after the show:

“The Journal of Animal Ethics published an academic paper on how derogatory words ‘pets’ or ‘pests’ affects the way we treat these animals. That’s why instead of ‘pets’ PETA recommends ‘companion animals’ and instead of ‘dog owner’ we say ‘dog guardian.’

“They were always going to come for the pets eventually, weren’t they?” Morgan said, wondering aloud if phrases like “let the cat out of the bag” and “one trick pony” could also be under threat, if PETA’s guidelines are followed.

“Pony’s aren’t here to do tricks for us,” Smith said. “They’re their own individual animals.”

nationalpost.com/news/world/animal-rights-group-peta-says-the-word-pet-is-patronizing-to-animals-and-we-should-stop-using-it