Textually impaired - do you type and drive?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Motorists who send text messages while driving are "significantly more impaired" than those who drive drunk, even at the minimum legal limit for alcohol, according to a British study.
The study showed that drivers' reaction times deteriorated by 35 per cent and they saw a 91 per cent decrease in steering ability.
Similar studies of drunk driving, by comparison, showed that reaction times fell by a mere 12 per cent.
The study comes on the heels of reports that texting was to blame when a commuter train slammed head-on into a freight train in Los Angles two weeks ago, killing 25 people.
Read full story
Textually impaired - do you type and drive?

More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm going to get myself a Ford, F-350 with the biggest engine option available. I will equip it with half inch steel bumpers and giant spiked tires and the next time I see some idiot driving while sending a text message, I plan to drive over his car and keep running over it till it is flat. I feel better just thinking about it.....:lol::lol:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I'm going to get myself a Ford, F-350 with the biggest engine option available. I will equip it with half inch steel bumpers and giant spiked tires and the next time I see some idiot driving while sending a text message, I plan to drive over his car and keep running over it till it is flat. I feel better just thinking about it.....:lol::lol:

Or I hope I am a witness to an accident of a f idiot who textses while driving to work endangering my life and others……. I will nail the f to the cross, in front of a judge…..

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Juan, the current F350's have an ugly motor in them. It's a 6.4L diesel which is essentially the
older 6.0L motor (bottom half from Navistar, but the top half including the injectors, turbo,
electronics, etc...are off the shelf stuff that Ford tried to adapt to the Navistar block & failed).
Unless you're going to modify a 2002 F350 (with the 7.3L which was bulletproof!!!), use a Dodge
or GMC 3500.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't even own a mobile phone anymore. I hate the damn things, almost as much as the one fixed to my wall.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I only read and drive. I can read half a novel in rush hour.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, the current F350's have an ugly motor in them. It's a 6.4L diesel which is essentially the
older 6.0L motor (bottom half from Navistar, but the top half including the injectors, turbo,
electronics, etc...are off the shelf stuff that Ford tried to adapt to the Navistar block & failed).
Unless you're going to modify a 2002 F350 (with the 7.3L which was bulletproof!!!), use a Dodge
or GMC 3500.

I don't suppose the idiots being run over care one way or another......But in the interests of reliability and safety, we'll go with the GMC 3500. I don't suppose there is anywhere to buy a used tank. ;-):smile:

HaystackBat

Sep 22, 2008
Alberta
So, my question is, what happens when a drunk driver starts texting? Eek.
I'm proud to say that I do not text! I'm possibly the only person on my age group in the country who doesn't text, but I just don't see the point.
And doing it while driving...well, I couldn't even text while walking.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As far as I know, Newfoundland is the only province that bans hand held cell phone use while driving. Personally, I would like to see the ban across the country. I've had/seen more than a few close calls/accidents involving drivers with a cell phone pressed to their head. Text messaging while driving is pure insanity.