Have you had knee surgery for osteoarthritis?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
According to a Canadian-led study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, many people with osteoarthritis benefit as much from physiotherapy and mild pain relievers as they would from arthroscopic surgery.
The study concluded that routinely practised knee surgery is ineffective at reducing joint pain or improving joint function in people with osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, affecting one in every 10 Canadians and 27 million Americans.
Read full story
Have you had knee surgery to improve joint function? Did it help? Are there particular exercises or remedies you use to ease pain?
Tell us your story.

More...

Night Safari

Electoral Member
Feb 16, 2008
GTA
My knee surgery actually brought on osteoarthritis! I had to have a modified Hauser operation used for the treatment of recurrent dislocation of the patella. In less than five years I had significant development of osteoarthritis and by 2000 considered surgery. But just in my thirties felt I was "too young" for more surgery.
...distal realignment of the patella enhances the development of osteoarthritis.
Today I've put a "modified Hauser reversal" and arthroscopy surgery as my last resort. I found Aqua Therapy and other water/swimming therapies very helpful in keeping my knee joint a lot more flexible and certainly less painful. But it has to be done at least 3 times a week and kept up.