Would you swim with the sea lions?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A new attraction, which allows people to swim with sea lions at West Edmonton Mall, is drawing customers and criticism.
For $150, visitors can don on a wetsuit and play in the mall's indoor aquarium with Clara, Keltie and Pablo, the mall's three sea lions.
The mall is the first in Canada to provide such an opportunity and says the experience is rewarding for both the animals and the people.
Mall officials say concerns by some retailers in the mall over the new sea lion attraction do not appear to be shared by their customers. They say people are lining up to swim in the sea lions, and that the permanent attraction is booked solid until the end of August.
Read full story
Would you swim with the sea lions?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think it's sad the lions are there at all, but, they're there. And, being there, the article is right... boredom is a BIG issue. Now, note which retailers are the ones complaining, and I'm sorry if I feel it falls a bit flat in my books. It's just a publicity, advertising ploy, on the parts of both Lush and Body Shop to be complaining about this, given that half of the draw for their soaps is their stance on animal testing.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:-? Nope. They don't have a wet suit big enough for me.

AND :angry3: I think people who put on these displays with wild animals, and keep wild animals in captivity should be gutted and fed to crocodiles, feet first.

But I really think they should use Leopard Seals in the tanks:

Quote :Wikipedia:

"In 2003, a Leopard Seal dragged a snorkeling biologist underwater to her death in what was identified as the first known human fatality from a Leopard Seal.[6] However, numerous examples of aggressive behavior, stalking, and attacks on humans had been previously documented.[6] The Leopard Seal has previously shown a particular predilection for attacking the black, torpedo-shaped pontoons of rigid inflatable boats, necessitating that researchers equip their craft with special protective guards to prevent them from being punctured. The Leopard Seal has also been known to snap at people's feet through holes in the ice."

Now, that's a swimmer's dream come true............8O We want a "challenge", don't we?

:evil4:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think it's sad the lions are there at all, but, they're there. And, being there, the article is right... boredom is a BIG issue. Now, note which retailers are the ones complaining, and I'm sorry if I feel it falls a bit flat in my books. It's just a publicity, advertising ploy, on the parts of both Lush and Body Shop to be complaining about this, given that half of the draw for their soaps is their stance on animal testing.

I tend to agree with you Karrie. On the other hand, last year I had a sea lion bite off half of what I thought was about a twenty pound salmon that I had just hooked. I wonder if somebody could lose a hand to one of these guys. Purely academic curiosity you understand....:roll::smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm guessing they're a lot like dogs. In the wild, unsocialized, yeah, they'd probably be a risk for biting a chunk out of or off of you. But, in captivity, you're not food, you're a food dispenser. You're worth more alive than eaten. :lol:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I've seen them in the wild. I did NOT try to touch them! I left them alone and they left me alone. They have been known to play with scuba divers around here though.