Triple Word Sore: Spell out how you feel without Scrabulous

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Canadians and Americans won't be able to play the popular Scrabble knockoff on the social network Facebook anymore now that the creators of the game pulled the application Tuesday.
Users who logged on to the game on Tuesday were greeted with a message saying, "Scrabulous is disabled for U.S. and Canadian users until further notice. If you would like to stay informed about developments in this matter, please click here."
Full story.
Triple Word Sore: Spell out how you feel without Scrabulous

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Scrabulous was a pretty clear copyright infringement in my opinion. I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner. I'm curious to see what replaces it.... scrabble or literati.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What fascinates me is that game rules can't be copyrighted. What was facebook thinking? To get hit with this suit is so negligent on someones part. The name "Scrabulous" is an obvious rip off. If they had called it "The Word Game" they probably couldn't have been sued. The whole legal department at facebook should be fired IMO.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What fascinates me is that game rules can't be copyrighted. What was facebook thinking? To get hit with this suit is so negligent on someones part. The name "Scrabulous" is an obvious rip off. If they had called it "The Word Game" they probably couldn't have been sued. The whole legal department at facebook should be fired IMO.

Ah, but it's an application, not facebook itself. That's where their legal department is darn clever.

The makers of the application are liable, but not facebook itself from what I've been able to make out of it.