What items are you cutting back at the grocery store?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A growing number of Canadians are cutting luxury items from their grocery lists and changing their holiday plans, according to a survey released Tuesday.
The consumer survey, conducted by Harris Decima for Investors Group, questioned respondents about how rising food and pump prices are affecting their lives. In 2007, 53 per cent of respondents said rising prices and energy costs were forcing them to re-examine their budget as compared with 63 per cent in 2008.
What items are you cutting back at the grocery store?

More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Truffles and caviar

I no longer have caviar with my cornflakes, or truffles in my scrambled eggs. It's been a hardship, but we all have to tighten our belts......:smile::roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I haven't cut back on anything. I have two little kids, and trying to change our diet would mean taking an unhealthy step away from a diet that most parents would KILL to be able to get their kids to eat. My basic cart of groceries is fresh fruit, fresh veggies, yogurt, rice, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, fresh meat, and peanutbutter. Some variety thrown in with sauces, etc... but not much.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have recently cut back on grocery shopping list, but only because my gra ndsons and
daughter now have their own place, and we are back to normal again.
I don't buy prepared foods, or much packaged foods, or canned foods. It's cheaper and
healthier to buy fresh or sometimes frozen veggies, and I watch how much meat I buy, and hardly ever packages sandwitch meats or weiners or bacon, which are all very bad health
wise, and very expensive.
We are lucky as we live in an area that is a 'tourist' destination, so, we have become very
satisfied and happy to 'not' plan trips, which cuts back on our fuel consuption. We travel
around this part of vancouver island, staying reasonably close to home.
I grow green beans and carrots, which I freeze for the winter.
I buy quality bread, made by a small bakery, which costs a little more, but very wholesome
and healthy.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I have recently cut back on grocery shopping list, but only because my gra ndsons and
daughter now have their own place, and we are back to normal again.
I don't buy prepared foods, or much packaged foods, or canned foods. It's cheaper and
healthier to buy fresh or sometimes frozen veggies, and I watch how much meat I buy, and hardly ever packages sandwitch meats or weiners or bacon, which are all very bad health
wise, and very expensive.
We are lucky as we live in an area that is a 'tourist' destination, so, we have become very
satisfied and happy to 'not' plan trips, which cuts back on our fuel consuption. We travel
around this part of vancouver island, staying reasonably close to home.
I grow green beans and carrots, which I freeze for the winter.
I buy quality bread, made by a small bakery, which costs a little more, but very wholesome
and healthy.
Virtually all meat, whether fresh, frozen or deli. Inching towards becoming a vegan.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Virtually all meat, whether fresh, frozen or deli. Inching towards becoming a vegan.

Don't think I could go quite that far, I don't have the passion or true belief that it is
better. I still like small quantity of lean meat, and the odd barbequed steak, and
chicken,(skinned, and not deep fryed)