Have you noticed rising food prices?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yes, live chicks cost more than they did the last time I bought into them. But they are a good entry level investment and they return 38 to 1 over as little as five months., and they make the best chicken soup you've ever tasted. This is how bugs and bits of vegetation are converted into chicken salad. We could eat the bugs and bits of grass directly but they would not taste like chicken and the bugs are hard for us to pick out of the weeds with our teeth. Chickens are also an important source of feathers and beaks.
International food tasters prefer free range chickens over the factory made types. If you keep them longer they get bigger, I like an average 13 lb pot dressed chicken at the above mentioned five month period. Plucking and gutting is an enjoyable social event usually followed by a harvest type drinking spree marking the traditional chicken slaughter. Foxes, skunks, weasels, hawks, bears, cyotes, leopards and pythons all prey on free range fowl many are lost on the trek up the mountain to the high summer meadows. Rustling is also on the rise. Officials with the chicken ministry expect sharp increases in the price of live chickens this year. Chickens can be trained to drink beer but they don't like to smoke, they are poor conversationalists and they sleep on artificial branches called perches (not the fishes) a horizontal stick protruding from the wall of a structure called a chicken house. If you're going to supplement the chickens diet with grain and beer these will also cost more this year.
The cost of chicken sandwiches can most effectively be reduced by growing your own chickens as opposed to growing wheat which is labour intensive and we all know how difficult it is to get cheap labour.
Food prices in general will continue to rise drastically in the coming months/years/decades it's up to every individual to start farming or rustling. I have purchased a chicken thief tazer which can also be used to dispatch the chickens and possibly cook as well. Raiseing chickens should result in carbon credits in the near future.
I can and will sit on a clutch of eggs while I entertain myself on the interweb, only try this if you have a soft fluffy bum.

Reactions: karrie

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Food prices continue to rise, food reserves continue to fall, starvation is already massive and wide spread another few months and it will exponentially rise. Are you preparing for the great depression and the battle at the end of capitalism.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah ... I noticed they took a 25% jump when the minimum wage went up 10% in Ontario. The grocer can rightly claim it's the cost of trucking. The Burger Pit? hmmmm....

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
When we raised chickens a couple years ago, they got so fat that their legs couldn't support them and they broke- Do you know how hard it is to put a cast on a chicken?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When we raised chickens a couple years ago, they got so fat that their legs couldn't support them and they broke- Do you know how hard it is to put a cast on a chicken?

I never saw broken legs, but we did have chickens who dragged their chests. You'd have chicken breasts with leathery callus.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

When the price of a gallon of gas almost doubles, the price of everything has to go up. It stands to reason that gasoline is an important part of all our lives. Yes, prices are going up and they will keep on going up as long as the oil companies keep on extracting the obscene profits that they are making.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta

When the price of a gallon of gas almost doubles, the price of everything has to go up. It stands to reason that gasoline is an important part of all our lives. Yes, prices are going up and they will keep on going up as long as the oil companies keep on extracting the obscene profits that they are making.
Hey Juan: I heard that the U.S. congress is going to put the hammer down on the speculators- these guys are the real culprits,not necessarily the Oil Companies as their profit is based on a three percent margin- but these speculators are driving up the price of Oil just as speculators drove up the prices of real estate and gold- as I said before no one should be able to buy oil unless they have a facility to refine it. That will at least put a damper on the volatile rise in prices.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey Juan: I heard that the U.S. congress is going to put the hammer down on the speculators- these guys are the real culprits,not necessarily the Oil Companies as their profit is based on a three percent margin- but these speculators are driving up the price of Oil just as speculators drove up the prices of real estate and gold- as I said before no one should be able to buy oil unless they have a facility to refine it. That will at least put a damper on the volatile rise in prices.

Yes. I should have said oil companies and speculators. Profit takers add nothing to a product. On the other hand the oil companies made unbelievable profits in the last few years.

Exxon broke the record it previously had set for profits by a U.S. corporation, earning $40.6 billion last year. It earned $11.7 billion in the fourth quarter, or $2.13 a share, up 14 percent from the fourth quarter of 2006. Revenue for the quarter rose 30 percent, to $116.64 billion. Exxon's profit for the year came to $4.6 million an hour.

http://tinyurl.com/6qs6fn

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Yes. I should have said oil companies and speculators. Profit takers add nothing to a product. On the other hand the oil companies made unbelievable profits in the last few years.

Exxon broke the record it previously had set for profits by a U.S. corporation, earning $40.6 billion last year. It earned $11.7 billion in the fourth quarter, or $2.13 a share, up 14 percent from the fourth quarter of 2006. Revenue for the quarter rose 30 percent, to $116.64 billion. Exxon's profit for the year came to $4.6 million an hour.

http://tinyurl.com/6qs6fn
Yep, Exxon is buying back its shares at an astonishing 30 billion per year, and by the looks of it at that rate they will have bought back all their shares by 2032. They are also selling off quite a few of their smaller refinerys. to what ends I have no idea, but I'm sure there is a grand plan that will benefit few, but cause untold misery to the rest of us. Getting the oil monkey off our back should be a priority, it's no longer just the domain of the tree huggers- We have a nuclear reactor parked 90,000,000 miles away that produces 1000 watts of power per square foot(free).There is no reason (except for greed) we can't develope the technology for harvesting it efficiently.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Now Ontario Hydro (or whatever they want to call it since it privatized) is going ahead with the nukes they shouldn't have killed twenty-five years ago. Hydro rates are guaranteed to go nuts. Will I notice grocery prices? No ... I'll be gone - not likely starved to death - or I'll be in prison. Three hots and a cot are a better deal than they're giving me now and I have an axe to grind with the Province of Opportunists

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Now Ontario Hydro (or whatever they want to call it since it privatized) is going ahead with the nukes they shouldn't have killed twenty-five years ago. Hydro rates are guaranteed to go nuts. Will I notice grocery prices? No ... I'll be gone - not likely starved to death - or I'll be in prison. Three hots and a cot are a better deal than they're giving me now and I have an axe to grind with the Province of Opportunists

Tings has chang ed in da slama, don't expec 3hots and a cot widout woikin a 12 hour slice of da day.:smile: