'Canadians don't want another election right now': Dion

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion says he will not force an election over the speech from the throne, adding that he wants to make Parliament work.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper responds to a question during question period in the House of Commons on Wednesday.
(Tom Hanson/Canadian Press)
"The throne speech we heard, with all of its weaknesses, has to be assessed in light of the fact that Canadians don't want another election right now," Dion told the House of Commons on Wednesday.
NDP Leader Jack Layton and Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe have already said their parties will not support the throne speech, which had left the fate of the government in the Liberals' hands.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he will take his word that the Liberals will not defeat his Conservative minority government.
But he said Dion sounds like a professor who marks everything wrong on a term paper, but still passes the student.
Harper also told the House of Commons that the Conservatives will introduce a new Tackling Violent Crime bill that will include measures on impaired driving, age of sexual consent, stricter bail conditions, and mandatory prison terms for gun crimes.
Harper warned that the bill will be a confidence vote.

Full Story
Do you feel that the Liberals have lost credibility with their decision not to defeat the throne speech? Will the Conservatives now govern as though they have a majority?

More...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
To be honest, I don't get what the big fuss is about another election. Ho hum. Most people don't even bother to vote. All it means is I hear more from politicians than normal, and I get to march off to a voting station. It's on my way home from school anyways. Stop in, mark an X. Wake up to hear what happened, and continue on with another day.

Edit: When I hear "Canadians don't want another election," I think, "That party doesn't want an election."

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
... Stop in, mark an X. Wake up to hear what happened, and continue on with another day....
... with our country ____ dollars poorer because politicians blew it all on the advertising and infrastructure that goes into yet another election.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Another $200 million spent. That actually bothers me, butnot because of an election. I think the cost should be covered by the parties. Perhaps they might be more willing to work together if they were the ones paying the bill.

Edit: Call it an election tax;)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
To be honest, I don't get what the big fuss is about another election. Ho hum. Most people don't even bother to vote. All it means is I hear more from politicians than normal, and I get to march off to a voting station. It's on my way home from school anyways. Stop in, mark an X. Wake up to hear what happened, and continue on with another day.

Edit: When I hear "Canadians don't want another election," I think, "That party doesn't want an election."

BINGO!

As well, I hate them treating the people as if elections were some kind of unpleasant medicine they would be forced to take, and that they would visit retribution on whomever was responsible for the dose......to the contrary, voting and elections are not only a duty, but a priviledge..........

F@#% em if they don't like em.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's mandatory in some countries, though I'm not sure how they deal with dissenters. Australia gets something like 95% with compulsory voting, Austria gets 92% without compulsory voting.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's mandatory in some countries, though I'm not sure how they deal with dissenters. Australia gets something like 95% with compulsory voting, Austria gets 92% without compulsory voting.

Dissenters get a small fine.....mind you, I wouldn't go this route, simply because some people honestly don't vote as a form of protest, and I can sympathize with that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
what I wonder is, who REALLY doesn't want an election? Canadians? or Dion because he doesn't think his party can win it right now?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
what I wonder is, who REALLY doesn't want an election? Canadians? or Dion because he doesn't think his party can win it right now?

I think Dion would like an election actually, but his party doesn't want it. The Quebec Liberals seem edgy, they know their support is waning. If Dion were to do what I think he wants to do, he'd probably get a mutiny.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The only Canadian who wants an election is Stephen Harper....

We should turf this juvenile out the door if we're given the opportunity....

Unfortunately the sad reality is ....who's sitting in the wings that'd offer an alternative worth consideration?

No one!

Mano

Oct 18, 2007
Most people don't really care all that much about elections. I find it hard to believe the masses fuss about making a trip to the polling station and marking an X... maybe if they served coffee and timbits?

Mano

Oct 18, 2007
Do you feel that the Liberals have lost credibility with their decision not to defeat the throne speech? Will the Conservatives now govern as though they have a majority?

Its obviously a lose/lose situation for the Liberals, seems they are betting there is a chance of redemming themselves by avoiding an election right away. Harper has cleverly strategically cornered them though, and I doubt the NDP or Bloc are going to suppot the Conservatives on their confidence motions put forth. So Dion will have to either continue opposing in principle and prop up the govt or force an election.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CBC just announced that Dion finally gave Marc Garneau the go ahead to run in Westmount.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Dion would like an election actually, but his party doesn't want it. The Quebec Liberals seem edgy, they know their support is waning. If Dion were to do what I think he wants to do, he'd probably get a mutiny.

From what I hear, a good chunk of his party wants an election. Unfortunatly the reason they want it is so Dion will lose bad, quit and they can replace him with Micheal Ignatiac (like anybody in their right mind would vote for him).

With every confidence vote, Dion's position will get weaker and weaker both with Canadians and his own party.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
I'm pretty sure it is the Liberals who don't want an election right now. I guess this gives Harper the right to keep pushing to so how far he can slap the opposition around. Could get interesting.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What a surprise if Canadians announced "screw the drama and get on with the business of governing" and elected NDP with a Green opposition....

Not likely but food for thought....

Wolf