Prince threatens lawsuits against pirated audio, video files

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Prince is threatening court action against several websites, including YouTube and eBay, as part of his latest campaign to "reclaim his art on the internet."
The pop star will launch lawsuits in Britain and the United States to take down unauthorized audio and video clips as well as merchandise being offered online said an anti-piracy firm, Web Sheriff, which is representing the musician.
"Prince believes strongly that ... copyrights should be protected across the board," a spokesperson for the musician said. MORE
What do you think of Prince's action?

More...

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
What a baby. I'm sure those videos are really cutting into his 8 digit earnings. He may just be trying to make a point but it's hard, so hard to feel sorry for him. Funny thing is smaller earning artists seem to like the exposure and free advertising these type of postings provide. Usually the quality is not that great so anyone who really likes it after seeing or hearing a clip would go out and buy it. I removed Limewire because I don't like the quality of the downloads. Some people think it's fine but I can hear the difference between an mp3 and a CD.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well it's changed the industry to one of making a record to support a tour instead of the other way around. Some of these guys need to come down from their gated estates and get back to work. The days of living off your laurels are over.

Lawsuits are a scare tactic to make those who earn off of people file trading. The bigger the site the bigger the temptation to sue. It won't change anything though. Napster should have been the example there.

Musicians have to change along with the times. They have to change the way they make songs and release them. One look at the record companies monopolizing large concert venues should tell the tale.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Frankly it's never made sense to me why an artist doesn't just cut out the middle man, and charge $1 or so for you to join their site and download their tracks.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What a baby. I'm sure those videos are really cutting into his 8 digit earnings. He may just be trying to make a point but it's hard, so hard to feel sorry for him. Funny thing is smaller earning artists seem to like the exposure and free advertising these type of postings provide. Usually the quality is not that great so anyone who really likes it after seeing or hearing a clip would go out and buy it. I removed Limewire because I don't like the quality of the downloads. Some people think it's fine but I can hear the difference between an mp3 and a CD.

I always find that downloaded music sounds like it's being played inside a tin can, if that makes any sense.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Frankly it's never made sense to me why an artist doesn't just cut out the middle man, and charge $1 or so for you to join their site and download their tracks.

That is comming but like the oil companies, the record companies will protect their turf.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I always find that downloaded music sounds like it's being played inside a tin can, if that makes any sense.

Because half the time it's recorded onto the database by amateurs who have no idea how to do it properly.