Police admit going undercover at Montebello protest

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Quebec provincial police admitted Thursday that three of their officers disguised themselves as demonstrators during the protest at the North American leaders summit in Montebello, Que.
However, the police force denied allegations its undercover officers were there on Monday to provoke the crowd and instigate violence.
Police said the three undercover officers were only at the protest to locate and identify non-peaceful protesters in order to prevent any incidents.
Police came under fire Tuesday, when a video surfaced on YouTube that appeared to show three plainclothes police officers at the protest with bandanas across their faces. One of the men was carrying a rock.
The Quebec provincial police will not comment any further on the affair, a spokeswoman in Montreal said. Quebec Justice Minister Jacques Dupuis was made aware of the news, but a spokesman from his office said he will not comment on the matter either.
Full story
What are your views on the police statement that officers acted "within their mandate to keep order and security"?

More...

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's not the first time the QPP, or OPP or the RCMP for that matter have made fools of themselves by inciting violence through intent or incompetence. The Oka, Ipperwash situations or the APEC conference in Vancouver come to mind. It also usually seems to involve political intrigue with the Premiers' or Prime Minister's office. I would suspect the PMO was behind this in some way. It was such a Keystone Cop kind of caper, though.. it has the hallmarks of a Harper operation.

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
The rock is hard to explain. Not sure how a rock helps me identify a person. Unless its that fantastic magical rock that that crazy guy was ranting about. Anyone remember the "crazy alien rock where did it come from" guy?

Anyways, its a real shame that they did that. When you are the police force, you need the public to have faith in you, and that doesn't help one bit.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The Supreme Court has ruled that Canadians have the right to peacefully demonstrate. If the police are acting to incite protestors to violence then they are acting outside their mandate are violating the rights of the people they are supposed to serve.

This smells of manipulation for political purposes, the same as the APEC misadventure. The arrogance that took over inside the PMO under Chretien has reappeared under Harper. There's a reason he's gone so far to prevernt public srutiny of his office and it's not for the benefit of Canadians.

My guess is this is just the tip of the iceberg, stay tuned viewers.:roll:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
The Supreme Court has ruled that Canadians have the right to peacefully demonstrate. If the police are acting to incite protestors to violence then they are acting outside their mandate are violating the rights of the people they are supposed to serve.

This smells of manipulation for political purposes, the same as the APEC misadventure. The arrogance that took over inside the PMO under Chretien has reappeared under Harper. There's a reason he's gone so far to prevernt public srutiny of his office and it's not for the benefit of Canadians.

My guess is this is just the tip of the iceberg, stay tuned viewers.:roll:

If you are really concerned, you should write letters to your MP, the various cabinet ministers and even the Prime Minister. You probably have friends that feel the same way, you can write up letters together and print them off, sign your individual names and mail them off.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
There's no point in sending views to the government, in this current climate I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it anyway.

The opposition will be getting my vote and financial support in the next election however.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
There's no point in sending views to the government, in this current climate I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it anyway.

The opposition will be getting my vote and financial support in the next election however.

So, mate... you assume that the "opposition" is any different?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
QPP and the Minister of Public Safety are saying they were undercover provinicials and that's alright but for the life of me I can't figure out what good their presence would have been had things turned ugly.

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
The police have to explain why the unvercover cops were there holding rocks. Most protesters seen with rocks in their hands are about to throw them.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

I don't know...what I do know is the **** we have in power now needs a swift kick in the arse right out of office. And if the next PM is as big a jerk do the same until we get someone who actually wants to work for us instead of against us...mate

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Well, I think that it is not different, at all.
Its more like of an revenge for making this happen than trusting other party hehe

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
We need more "smart" cops to do the job.
Who can actually think and decide.
Our current police are too low standard :p

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
QPP and the Minister of Public Safety are saying they were undercover provinicials and that's alright but for the life of me I can't figure out what good their presence would have been had things turned ugly.

Yeah.

These idiots were obviously inciting to riot.........and why were they in union lines? Good Lord, my wife is a member of the Paperworkers and Communications union........and I'm a Teamster. Neither of us is about to attack a police line in support of anarchy.....

I understand that police inserted in a crowd can be useful.......by identifying those inciting or engaging in violence, and, if given the chance isolating them and aiding in an arrest......but NOT inciting them to riot.

Way, way out of line the cops were on this one.

Just plain stupid beyond belief.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
My guess is this is just the tip of the iceberg, stay tuned viewers.
Stay tuned is right.

Stay tuned and watch the police investigate themselves yet again with the usual much anticipated outcome.