North American leaders agree to crack down on unsafe imports

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The leaders of Canada, the United States and Mexico ended a two-day summit in Quebec Tuesday with a pledge to crack down on unsafe goods flowing into North America, while working to make the two borders more efficient and secure.
The move follows recent safety scares linked to Chinese-made products, including unsafe food additives, toothpaste and toys.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, U.S. President George W. Bush and Mexican President Felipe Calderon also defended the annual meeting as crucial to the prosperity of the three countries, citing NAFTA with creating more jobs and wealth.
The leaders downplayed criticism that the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America, which boosts co-operation in the areas of security, trade and public-health, will lead to a North American union, similar to the European Union.
"Look, we have an enormous commercial, trading relationship," said Harper, who said such criticism in Canada comes from opposition politicians. "It's important we get together for discussions."
Full story
What do you think about the decisions made at the summit?

More...

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Why was this meeting held behind closed doors? Why were big businesses invited? It was a big business meeting and it has nothing to do with us. We the people are supposed to be the center of our gov. concerns but where were our representatives. Harper, if he has his way, will implement policies of his idol Bush. There is nothing wrong with normalizing many aspects of our relations with the US as long as we keep our Canadian Sovereignty. This I doubt, look they are coming back at us over our 'softwood lumber'.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Oh yeah, we gotta protect those people alright. Makin it safe for the kiddies. Makin it safe for freedom.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If they're going to whine about unsafe imports why don't they do the obvious? Bring our damn jobs back home and make things here...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
"Look, we have an enormous commercial, trading relationship," said Harper, who said such criticism in Canada comes from opposition politicians. "It's important we get together for discussions."

"Yeah, ignore those criticisms. They merely come from the representatives of the majority of the country. I am the leader, and so even though only 20% of Canadians crossed my Party's name off on the ballot, I represent the views of the majority of Canadians."

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Holy agreeable Batman, so far we got a consensus!!!!!

Ain't never seen the like:lol:

:canada:(bring home the troops-send Steve)

Here, I will cause some contention, with an endorsement of the NDP.

I would be more mad at the Right Honourable Stephen Harper with this SPP debacle if it hadn't been initiated by Paul Martin. They both represent different groups of the private sector so it is not surprising that they would both be on the SPP bandwagon. Now I happen to like Giles Duceppe, he happens to represent some of the most honest politicians in Ottawa, but being a Sovereigntist, he would probably endorse SPP if he could ensure Quebec would be frontrow centre. I am no expert on the Bloc, so I am not sure how valid that view is.

Now, I happen to know that there is one party which is actually concerned with the fact that the increase in wages over time is exactly correlated with our Consumer Price Index (wages are stagnating). There is one group of politicians who are concerned with the loss of job security, that think that temporary or contract work is not a real solution to lowering the unemployment rate. That happens to be the NDP party, and if you are a working class family, and are living outside of Quebec, they are the only people actually looking out for your prosperity, the party that brought us all free health care.

Reactions: Nuggler