Survey finds Canadians need tips on tipping

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
While most Canadians balk at the thought of tipping anything under the standard 15 per cent at a restaurant, it seems they are far less gracious when it comes to tipping staff in other service jobs, according to a new survey.
A recent BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik MasterCard study found that 78 per cent of Canadians regularly leave a 15 per cent gratuity after dining out, but that less than 40 per cent of Canadians think the work of cab drivers and hair stylists is not worth a reward quite that high.
In fact, owners of salons get the rawest deal, with more than 54 per cent of Canadians snubbing them entirely.
According to Magellans.com, it is customary in North America to leave a tip between 15 and 20 per cent for services.
Full story
What's your personal tipping point...what makes you decide to tip, and how much do you give?

More...

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I tip very well with waiters/waitresses and my hairstylist. I don't tip the salon owner. I tip the girl who does my nails. I tip food delivery people and taxi drivers. I even tip when the service is bad, but not as much as I do when it's good.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I leave a $2 tip when I get my haircut because they already charge me too much.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I only tip as a bribe.
I don't think you deserve more money for doing your job. That being said..its a waiters job to get other people more coffee too, so if tipping regularily and well bumps me up the list...well lets just say I tip big at places I frequent or am thinking about frequenting.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Tipping is a practice that could get far wider application when one thinks about it. Sales clerks at most department stores make very little and yet they often provide as much service as a waitress. Should you be tipping them?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I remeber getting tips for loading groceries into ladies cars in the pick up lane, which was my job for a year in high school. Christmas rocked, $30 in one shift, which is roughly what my wages were for that shift.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How does one afford to go about their daily business if you are constantly needing to shell out extra cash to everyone who does something for you in a day?

Frankly, the person who MOST deserved a tip from me this week, but did not get one, is the guy who did my breakjob.

Like someone else mentioned, how about the lady who helped me find sizes and sort through twenty different outfits to find just three?

The gal slinging burgers at Capital Ex today? The ride attendant who ran the ride? The driver of the train we rode there?

Lots of people do good work. Lots of people deserve recognition. How do you afford to do anything and pick and choose who gets your 'gratitude'?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When my daughter was going to college she earned extra money working in restaurants. Most shifts the tips were more than triple the minimum wage they got paid as wages.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Don't know about now but there used to be resaurants that paid squat. You worked only for tips....long time gone.Some were famous in Montreal.

I was a waiter for 2 weeks in the 80's. Friend owned a place , now burned down at Dundas and Dixie...Hard job.. no idea how hard it really is....

I usually leave a fiver even if the bill is 90 bucks.... the 15% is a guide and if you can afford it yeah go for it....Never had anyone snub me for leaving a fiver.
I mean really
bring a few things to my table, fetch me another coke....5 bucks is fair deal...Of course it's a whole other deal at like Canoe and joints only the blues brothers would eat at...lol remeber that scene....the kid's look on her face when they start poppin shrimp into each others gullet...heh heh

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Places where I eat out regularly I tend to tip well. It's an investment.

For transient dining, I start at an arbitrary 15% and if service sucks, drop by 5% per suckage incident.
Conversely, if service is excellent, I up the tip similarly.

I do take into consideration how busy the place is...

If I think the food is grossly overpriced, I won't go the full percentage unless the service befits the price of the food.

Very few people who do things for you in your day make as little as a server in wage.
Try catering to hungry people all day some time.

Muz

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
I/we tip depending on the service. Sorry, but on a couple of occasions when the service has been horrific, I have left nothing; conversely, when the service has been better than excellent, I have left a very generous tip and mentioned to the manager that the server deserves a raise and told the manager the reasons I feel this way.

I base the tip on the total amount before taxes and alcoholic drinks are added into the total. I refuse to pay a tip on a tax or on the extreme mark up on a glass of wine.

As for my hair dresser, I tip her well because she listens to me about what I want done with my hair...on the rare occasion that I go to her...lol

I don't tip Lou for driving me anywhere...that would set a precedent which I don't think would go over very well and he is my only cab driver around these parts. (Anyway, I used to drive Lou around a lot.) I'm not sure if we even have another one around anymore although we did sort of have one in the area for awhile.

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
When the service is terrible, I won't tip for the exact same reason that I tip in the first place: good precedence.

If a person can get extra money for good service it is incentive to try to give good service. If you give that extra money regardless of service, you are unnecessarily supplementing their wage and they have no incentive to do a good job.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yep, Reading This One Tooooooooooooooo

Florida Joke:

What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe???

A canoe sometimes tips..............:tongue3:

Straight 20% across the board. Always.

Used to wait tables in a beer parlour part-time. Those tips came in mighty handy.
Figure it's karma.

Except if the waitress/er is rude. Then, nada. Sorry.

:sleepy1:.................nite

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
For good service I tip 15%. For poor but not horrible service, I tip 10%. For abysmal service, I tip 0%. For outstanding service, I tip 20%. Based on pre-tax totals.

echojava

Jul 5, 2007
Tipping without pressure and a personal choice

I feel that the tipping issue is out of hand. If service is exceptional I will tip, but, frankly, most of the time it is not exceptional. I have been in restaurants where the waitress was rude and impatient, as well as sloppy. I went to one place where the utensils were not cleaned well and the tables felt so tacky with residue that you could scrape it off the surface. If the staff had done their job, yes, I would have tipped. I should not be made to feel guilty or under obligation to tip for poor service and sub standard facilities.:!:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The amount I tip varies depending on the level of service I receive. If I have to wait 15 minutes for a waiter to refill my beer, they ain't getting much.

Strip Clubs are the worst place for tipping in my opinion.... on top of my $7.00 beer, they expect at least a 20% tip. :(

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I wonder if there are any fans of reservoir Dogs out there...?

A doctor doesn't get tips...or a lawyer or a stock broker ....why?

Creating an underclass that can find employment at "X" remuneration (well below that of a plumber a carpenter a mechanic or a garbage-man) and relying on the "tip" to augment an insulting and inadequate wage is the modern approach to "tipping".

When a bonus, something above and beyond the agreed upon salary or payment for services rendered is appropriate is when special skill, special attention and effort above and beyond the basic is encountered.

To pad the wallets of the wealthy and support the charade of a society eager to get something for nothing while employing emotional pressure to off-set a decent wage is disingenuous and self-defeating. Self-defeating for the society and self-defeating for the worker.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It is intresting that this situation has evolved with restaurants to where they pay such a shoddy wage that their employees need tips to survive. Restaurants don't give you a special deal on a prime rib dinner because they pay the staff peanuts. The tips restaurant patrons give, are shared by the waiters/waitresses, the cooks and the food preparation staff. To me, this is a shabby way to do business. I tip for special service. I don't automatically add 15 percent if the service has been just ordinary. I feel put apon that I have to judge, and somehow feel compelled to pay extra to someone else's employee.

A lot of restaurants in Europe just add fifteen percent to the price and tell you about it. This is a superior way to run the business.

triedit

inimitable
Im a generoust tipper--Ski hates it. Im always on him to leave more. I generally tip 30% at my salon because my styist helps me choose the style, talks me through the pain of putting my head on that wash station, chooses the best products to take home (I don't tip on the cost of the products), asks about my family and never EVER takes calls when she's working on me. When she does a perm (no more often than once a year if that) I tip her $30 on the $100 she charges. I require a special perm solution that costs more and she never charges the difference, plus I have a LOT of really fine hair and it takes a LONG time to roll it up.

I tip 15% at buffets. Less if they don't keep me refilled and plates cleared.

I never tip less than $2, ever. Delivery guy gets 20% if he's on time, the order is right, and they don't charge delivery charges. If they charge delivery and everything else is fine I do 15%. If they have to ask me for a pen to sign the charge slip they lose 5%.

Cabbies are my most flexible. I tip $2 on a $5 ride (yes, occasionally I have to take a taxi that short distance) But generally it's a base of 10% then add on for any additional stuff like not throwing me around as they weave in and out or stop short. Helping load bags in and out of the trunk gets him %20 right off.

I don't tip at Starbucks or other counter service places. Both my daughters work there and it really irks them.

I'd most like to tip the TTC drivers. But that isnt allowed. So I always say thank you.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
ar buddy
Welcome to alibaba2009 trade CO.,LTD ,we are glad to know that you need Nike shoes. Long-dev is a professional shoes supplier in China.We are a real supplier of nike shoes,including other shoes such as:adidas puma prada etc.. We can supply the whole range of nike shoes with perfect quality and competitive price.There are many kinds of shoes for your choice.We can supply the shoes in stocks, and friendly service.And we are very glad to receive your enquiry.
   Our main customers are from Europe Countries、North and South America Countries and we know well about the requirements for those markets,Long-dev sincerely hope to make a long mutual and beneficial business relationship with you.
   Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are interested in our products.

e]
these are the counterfiet people...you end up with shoes made mostly out off recycled toilet paper and cardboard sprayed with melamine to make it appear like leather....they cause foot desease and some people have died ...
italian police are looking for ways to shut them down

also they are made in prisons,by falsely accused poets

Last edited by a moderator: