Canada's cuisine comes of age

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
At one time Canadian chefs had to elbow their way forward, fighting for a little space in a spotlight crowded with more internationally famous fare. But with time, the country's cuisine has come of age, with cooks crafting new signature dishes made of locally grown ingredients for hungry Canadians.
Admittedly, Canadian fare might still not be as familiar around the globe as Italian, Chinese or French, but we're definitely growing up, says Canadian chef and popular Food Network Canada host Michael Smith.
We hold up things like southwestern or French or Thai as shining beacons of cuisine forgetting we have one that is just as strong, because we do the same thing: we use whats in our backyard, we cook with what's around us.
For Smith, defining Canadian cuisine can be as easy as asking cooks from coast to coast to coast: What do you eat? What did you have for dinner last night?
Map: Canada's cuisine
In depth: Canada's food comes of age
What are your favourite Canadian foods? What dish do you think is quintessentially Canadian?

More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There must be dozens of ways to make poutine!

No there isn't. This is the only way to make Poutine , otherwise, it is fries and gravy.

POUTINE (FRIES AND GRAVY)

Ingredients needed:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into French fries
  • 1/2 pound fresh cheese curd, crumbled
  • Vegetable oil for deep-frying

Combine the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to blend. Cook, stirring, constantly, to make a dark brown roux, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and blanch for 4 minutes. Remove, drain and cool completely. Fry the potatoes in hot vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, mound the fries into the individual (16-ounce) disposable cups. Spoon the gravy over the fries and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Some of my fave Canadian treats,

Saskatoon pie

Tourtiere

Sucre a la Creme

Chokecherry syrup is another, but I'm not sure it's 'Canadian' persay.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Some of my fave Canadian treats,

Saskatoon pie

Tourtiere

Sucre a la Creme

Chokecherry syrup is another, but I'm not sure it's 'Canadian' persay.

Do you have a good recipe for Tourtiere?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you have a good recipe for Tourtiere?

I do, for MY taste in tourtiere. But every family makes it a little bit different. Different meats (East coast families I know use pork and game blend, some people use beef and pork blend, and we use straight pork), some people add potatoes, some people use different spices.

With my family, it's a fairly spicy, straight pork recipe, and I'd be happy to pass it on if that's what you enjoy in a tourtiere.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I do, for MY taste in tourtiere. But every family makes it a little bit different. Different meats (East coast families I know use pork and game blend, some people use beef and pork blend, and we use straight pork), some people add potatoes, some people use different spices.

With my family, it's a fairly spicy, straight pork recipe, and I'd be happy to pass it on if that's what you enjoy in a tourtiere.

I've never made Tourtiere but I've had the usual beef and pork tourtiere and I once had an all pork tourtiere in northern Quebec which I quite enjoyed. I'd like to try your recipe.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
"Beaver Tails"

how can we forget about those.....

Maple syrop taffy....everyone has tried that...you know they pour it fresh made on snow and you pick it up with a popsicle stick.....used to get a paper coffee cup filled with it for a dime when we were kids....yummy do

Tourtier i love it....there is this jarred chunty we buy and put on it....Emillias peach chunty

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never made Tourtiere but I've had the usual beef and pork tourtiere and I once had an all pork tourtiere in northern Quebec which I quite enjoyed. I'd like to try your recipe.

Okay, a couple tips before I give you the recipe.
Pork is essential, but you can get away with a beef pork blend... just don't ever try to cut the pork out entirely.
Also, in past years, due to health issues, my family rarely makes this as 'meat pie'. Instead, they make the filling and, because the flavor just IS christmas to us, we make meatball appies with it, rather than putting it in pastry. Still other people I know put it in tarts, rather than a pie shell, so that it serves more neatly for a fancy meal.

1 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
1 lb pork
1tsp savory
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp cloves
1Tbsp parsely
1Tbsp salt
1Tbsp pepper

1/3 cup water
1 egg yolk
1-2Tbsp milk

Mix together water, yolk, and milk, and set aside.

Brown meat and spices until nearly cooked, draining off as much fat as possible as you do. Add the liquid mixture, and cook until absorbed.
Put filling in pastry, and bake at 425 for 20-25 mins.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Nanaimo bars. the homemade kind, not the crap that's mass produced.

Wouldn't Canadian cuisine be stuff from the old country made in the new country? my grandmother use to make krumkake but had to use canadian products to do it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Okay, a couple tips before I give you the recipe.
Pork is essential, but you can get away with a beef pork blend... just don't ever try to cut the pork out entirely.
Also, in past years, due to health issues, my family rarely makes this as 'meat pie'. Instead, they make the filling and, because the flavor just IS christmas to us, we make meatball appies with it, rather than putting it in pastry. Still other people I know put it in tarts, rather than a pie shell, so that it serves more neatly for a fancy meal.

1 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
1 lb pork
1tsp savory
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp cloves
1Tbsp parsely
1Tbsp salt
1Tbsp pepper

1/3 cup water
1 egg yolk
1-2Tbsp milk

Mix together water, yolk, and milk, and set aside.

Brown meat and spices until nearly cooked. Add the liquid mixture, and cook until absorbed.
Put filling in pastry, and bake at 425 for 20-25 mins.

Best of luck!

Thanks Karrie
I'll try it this weekend. :smile: