Ritalin use higher for children of divorce: study

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Ritalin use is almost twice as high among children whose parents divorce compared with children who continue to live with two biological parents, a Canadian study suggests.

More...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Ritalin the new momma's little helper....forget sedating mom, sedate the kids.

So how do we treat/help people who can't seem to stay focused and are so easily distracted?
I worked with a lady who had 2 diagnosed ADHD children. She did a lot of studying and a lot of parenting. She worked with her kids and she worked around their condition. She taught her kids the way her kids learned best. A rather strange idea in this day and age to be sure.

If I remember correctly the only modification she had the school do was change the flourescent lighting to a natural light flourescent bulb.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Ritalin the new momma's little helper....forget sedating mom, sedate the kids.

I worked with a lady who had 2 diagnosed ADHD children. She did a lot of studying and a lot of parenting. She worked with her kids and she worked around their condition. She taught her kids the way her kids learned best. A rather strange idea in this day and age to be sure.

If I remember correctly the only modification she had the school do was change the flourescent lighting to a natural light flourescent bulb.

Ontario is about to force it's entire inhabitants to use only flourescent lighting by law....So like this actually has an effect on people?
I'm gonna have to wander around my home with a flashlight under a blanky to stay sane?
I'm already a lil wierd going to parties,do you think my practise can become a new social norm in Ontario?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
So how do we treat/help people who can't seem to stay focused and are so easily distracted?

How do you 'treat' someone who has no muscle tone? You make him exercise.

Most of our brain's functions can be improved by simple exercising. Why jump the gun and fill our brains with crap when what we really need is simply to improve the discipline of the mind?

triedit

inimitable
How do you 'treat' someone who has no muscle tone? You make him exercise.

Most of our brain's functions can be improved by simple exercising. Why jump the gun and fill our brains with crap when what we really need is simply to improve the discipline of the mind?
Ok, lets roll with that. How do you teach attention?

RE: Flourescent lighting. We have already tried that with relation to something called Irlen Syndrome. Next step is special glasses.

My child has not actually been diagnosed ADD or ADHD. We're halfway through a double blind study where he takes a placebo one week, half dose of ritalin one week, and full dose another week. We return to the doc with the teacher and parent observations and he tells us which week the boy took which drug. We're in the middle of week two with no change at school yet.

Although someone once suggested our son was hyperactive, neither the pediatrician nor the teacher thinks that is the case. He does have an attention problem as well as a perception problem we're dealing with via the new glasses and an occupational therapist.

My point is that while I agree that ritalin use is way WAY too widespread and should not be used instead of good teaching and good parenting, there are SOME kids (and adults) who need the drug.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
My point is that while I agree that ritalin use is way WAY too widespread and should not be used instead of good teaching and good parenting, there are SOME kids (and adults) who need the drug.

I guess I can go along with that... I'm certainly no expert in neurology, psychiatry or pharmacology. But I remain extremely skeptical to whatever drugs are out there to solve 'mental defect' problems.

How do you teach attention? That's a tough question to aswer... Discipline helps that's for sure... But it's not enough if the child simply isn't interested in what's going on... I think the key is really to trigger the child's curiosity and then to find ways to sustain it in a focused kind of way. Easier said than done but who said teaching kids was easy?

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
How do you teach attention? That's a tough question to aswer... Discipline helps that's for sure...

Ritalin is an amphetimine.For some odd reason it has a calming effect on super hyper kids.
I think the best way to actually teach attention is through breathing awareness meditations. This is where one focus their mind on the breath inhaling exhaling. As random thoughts/noise in head interferes with this you just try to refocus all one's attentin on the breathing.
For someone with attention problems,moi, it literalry took years to watch 5 breaths in and out with complete absense of noise and lack of concentration..Doesn't sound like a huge accomplishment..but it is...

add on...maybe best way is a lil dogmatic...best way for me actually

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Ontario is about to force it's entire inhabitants to use only flourescent lighting by law....So like this actually has an effect on people?
I'm gonna have to wander around my home with a flashlight under a blanky to stay sane?

Sorry. Correction. They had the school put in full spectrum flourescent lights.

Doc, sanity is highly overrated.