Navy, air force won't serve as infantry in Afghanistan: O'Connor

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor denied on Monday that there are any plans to have sailors or air force members take part in ground combat in Afghanistan.

More...

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
On another site this topic got ugly, the Navy personel felt they were to well trained to be shot at and that they were more important than our Army Personel. In fact many said they would put in their release before they'd get shot at. I always thought that all branches of the Military served Canada, who new that the Navy is above that.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
who knew, sassy?

It has always been that way. The rivalries between branches is very real. The "classmanship" is very real.

Think of it this way: if you had the training and experience to be an Actuary and one day your company said, "we are short insurance salespeople so we would like you to..." how would you feel?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Admittedly I have no experience in this kind of thing, but I would have thought that the military would use people for what they trained for. If you trained for infantry, you'd do that. If you trained to work on a ship it seems wierd to use you for infantry. Would they do as good a job as people who had trained more for that?

I know when I'm at work I don't like being expected to float to an area I don't usually work in. It isn't that I think I'm better than the nurses on those units, it's that I don't feel I can do a good job there without the training those other nurses get. I do it, but I don't like it. I chose not to stay at my last hospital mainly because of that issue.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Our forces volunteered. That is, they volunteered to serve in which ever service they joined. Turning around after the fact and changing the rules is nonsense. Just maybe, the increasing numbers of body bags is effecting recruitment, though I doubt it. Was this a response to pressure from somewhere?