or false flags?
no...
The reporter did mention the word christian - rightly or wrongly - a sacred cow
oh the horror

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Suddenly this Conservative MP cares about commentators giving inflammatory and uninformed opinions about a religious group.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
There was a time when aspiring journalists were taught not to introduce personal opinions into any writing. Report the news. Do not attempt to influence it. Field no opinions. The only staffer who was allowed that privilege was the editor.

I think this is even more important today than in years past. Instant communication leaves too many unanswered questions. Journalists are rarely able to accurately come to truthful, unbiased conclusions.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The article in question is specifically an opinion piece and the author is an opinion columnist.

I realize that, but opinion pieces used to be the exclusive domain of the editor. There are too many opinion columnists now.

Too many opinion columns, many of which are written by unqualified people. When you have opinions expressed by employees of a newspaper or television broadcasting company, facts can become buried under personal prejudices or misinterpretations.

We see this when people like Peter Mansbridge ask questions similar to, "What is the reason, do you think, for the attacks? Is there an explanation?"

There is a potential problem there: the journalist might introduce his or her own feelings about an event. It's all in the phrasing.

News is about reporting what is, or has happened. Just the facts. They can be analyzed by qualified individuals later. For now, tell us what happened. Save the "in depth analysis" for the credentialed people.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I realize that, but opinion pieces used to be the exclusive domain of the editor.

When was this the case? I think that you'll find that your image of journalistic integrity is mythology. Journalism has never had the neutrality and objectivity you imagine and opinion columnists have long existed.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Suddenly this Conservative MP cares about commentators giving inflammatory and uninformed opinions about a religious group.
So...is it right or wrong to give inflammatory and uninformed opinions based on religion or skin colour? It can't be both. You're okay with bigotry I take it.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Social conservatives practically invented hypocrisy
Hypocrisy is condemning a person of a certain political leaning of an action while accepting the same action of a person of a different political leaning. Do you condemn it or do you accept it?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hypocrisy is condemning a person of a certain political leaning of an action while accepting the same action of a person of a different political leaning. Do you condemn it or do you accept it?

I condemn hypocrites, social conservatives, the CBC, SJWs and Kardashians (among others)

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
When was this the case? I think that you'll find that your image of journalistic integrity is mythology. Journalism has never had the neutrality and objectivity you imagine and opinion columnists have long existed.

I think not. Before joining the service, I was enrolled in RTA at Conestoga College in Kitchener. One of the tenets of news reporting was stick to the facts.

This has changed since the 1970s. I do not know what the upgraded BRT program teaches these days. It's probably worth a short email to ask.