http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tony-clement-national-security-conservative-leader-1.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
He has a point on the failure of the RCMP or CSIS or whoever is supposed to watch these people .....

Clement pointed to Aaron Driver as an example of someone openly sympathizing with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria who was not being monitored closely enough.

In early August, Driver was killed in a police operation in Strathroy, Ont. after being deemed an "imminent" threat by RCMP. He was under a peace bond, but not required to wear GPS tracking device.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alt Right is taking over the CPC.

They are content with 30% of the vote.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
This guy is from parry sound riding...
just north of me, but I have lived there under his reigne

What he really means by terrorist is anyone who is against the state
muslims are just a convenient scapegoat to start with
but they mean to silence ALL opposition at some point

He has a point on the failure of the RCMP or CSIS or whoever is supposed to watch these people .....

That's because their mandate is to create the boogie man
like poop lobed ziontists who take grants to support glownut warming to justify the CARBONE tacks
as a step towards global dictatorchips

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Don't tell me what to do
I am busy having a cow over all of the now apparrent sick or dead Hillary's doubles
and I don't have time for that too

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Clement pointed to Aaron Driver as an example of someone openly sympathizing with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria who was not being monitored closely enough.

In early August, Driver was killed in a police operation in Strathroy, Ont. after being deemed an "imminent" threat by RCMP. He was under a peace bond, but not required to wear GPS tracking device.

Fine, monitor him. The point here though is that he's proposing that we arrest and incarcerate him without trial before we even know for sure. It appears that in this particular case the suspect might have turned out to be guilty. But again, what Clement is suggesting is incarcerate him before we even know for sure. How many others are the police monitoring who are false alarms?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Seems they are jailing some awaiting trial but not all........

Just two days after known ISIS supporter Aaron Driver was killed in a confrontation with police in Strathroy, Ont., RCMP in Ottawa arrested a 24-year-old man over concerns he would engage in terrorism.

Police took David Gonyou-McLean of Ottawa into custody on Aug. 12, alleging he uttered a threat to cause death or bodily harm "to unspecified persons," according to court documents.

RCMP are now trying to convince a judge to issue an extraordinary peace bond against Gonyou-McLean. On Aug. 19, an officer swore before a provincial court judge that she feared, based on the alleged threat, that Gonyou-McLean might:

• Leave Canada to participate in the activity of a terrorist group.
  • Participate in the activity of a terrorist group.
  • Commission an offence for a terrorist group.
The peace bond — an extra security measure police sometimes seek in terrorism-related cases — has not yet been granted. Approximately 23 terrorism-related peace bond applications have been filed since 2006, according to a spokesperson for the Public Prosecution Service of Canada.

On Aug. 26, after two weeks in custody, Gonyou-McLean was released on a $1,000 bond with orders to abide by 27 conditions, including:

Gonyou-McLean is also barred from communicating with six people, including Ottawa twin brothers Ashton and Carlos Larmond, who are currently serving prison sentences for terror-related offences. He also can't communicate with Awso Peshdary, who is awaiting pre-trial in December for terror-related offences, and Luqmann Abdunnur.

At least one security expert doesn't believe those conditions go far enough, however

"It would seem to me that if he's charged, then why isn't he being held?" asked Phil Gurski, a former CSIS agent who now runs a private security firm.

RCMP seek peace bond for Tevis Gonyou-McLean over terror concerns - Ottawa - CBC News

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Fine, monitor him. The point here though is that he's proposing that we arrest and incarcerate him without trial before we even know for sure. It appears that in this particular case the suspect might have turned out to be guilty. But again, what Clement is suggesting is incarcerate him before we even know for sure. How many others are the police monitoring who are false alarms?

You also need to look at the definition of "terrorist" under the current law. I am defined as a terrorist because I have strong anti-establishment views. Anyone who participates in a blockade of a hwy, rail, pipeline etc is defined as a terrorist. This would be a big leap into the Orwellian, Big Brother state.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Would you rather wait until they blow up a subway station or a school first?

You also need to look at the definition of "terrorist" under the current law. I am defined as a terrorist because I have strong anti-establishment views. Anyone who participates in a blockade of a hwy, rail, pipeline etc is defined as a terrorist. This would be a big leap into the Orwellian, Big Brother state.

I'm good with throwing anyone that barricades a highway or causes an illegal work stoppage in jail.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Are you ok with thought crimes? Because that is what this amounts to. Nobody wants to see a school blow up but do we want to allow people to be jailed for their beliefs? This is supposed to be a free country with our right to hold different beliefs guaranteed in the Charter. By allowing people to be imprisoned for what they think removes that guaranteed right from all of us.

By all means cover them with 24hr surveillance. Have someone follow them from 3 feet away. I just cannot support such a massive violation of charter rights as incarcerating people for what they think and believe.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Damn it, PoliticalNick, second time I agree with you. You're scaring me.

Do we compensate him for lost pay and freedom after we fail to prove anything against him?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Anyone ever watch MINORITY REPORT
Pre crime ain't all its cracked up to be.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/

"Only three of 116 Guantánamo detainees were captured by US forces
Bulk of remaining detainees – who US politicians refer to as ‘worst of the worst’ – were rounded up by Pakistani and Afghan spies, warlords and security services"
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/25/guantanamo-detainees-captured-pakistan-afghanistan

"Well over a decade has passed since the first prisoner arrived in Guantánamo Bay, making it the longest-standing war prison in U.S. history. Almost 800 men have passed through Guantánamo’s cells. Today, 61 men remain. Fashioned as an “island outside the law” where terrorism suspects could be detained without process and interrogated without restraint, Guantánamo has been a catastrophic failure on every front. It is long past time for this shameful episode in American history to be brought to a close."
https://www.aclu.org/infographic/guantanamo-numbers

Former State Department Official: Team Bush Knew Many at Gitmo Were Innocent
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...bush-knew-many-at-gitmo-were-innocent/275327/

WORLDInnocent Guantanamo Bay Inmate Finally Released After 14 Years
http://usuncut.com/world/innocent-guantanamo-bay-inmate-finally-released-14-years/

the US has only captured 5 % of the detainees
the rest, the US paid MILLIONs of dollars to foreigners for

don't like the brother in law....?
got some opposition to your drug trafficking?
want to buy guns to kill US troops?

meh

Last edited: