NDP deputy leader doubts bin Laden photos exist

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
NDP deputy leader doubts bin Laden photos exist - Canada - CBC News

The deputy leader of Canada's new Official Opposition party says he doubts the U.S. has photos of Osama bin Laden's body.

Thomas Mulcair, who stands in for NDP Leader Jack Layton in the House of Commons when he is away, told CBC's Power & Politics with Evan Solomon that he doesn't believe photos exist of bin Laden following his killing by U.S. forces on Sunday in Pakistan.

"I don't think, from what I've heard, that those pictures exist and if they do I'll leave that up to the American military," he told host Evan Solomon.

"If they've got pictures of a cadaver then there's probably more going on than we suspect in what happened there," Mulcair said.

Mulcair also said the killing requires "a full analysis" on whether it was self-defence or a direct killing because "that has to do with American law and international law as well."

"I think that if the Americans have taken pictures in that circumstance, it won't be able to prove very much as to whether Mr. [bin Laden] was holding a weapon," he said.

Chris Alexander, newly elected Conservative MP and former Canadian ambassador to Afghanistan, said there's no reason to doubt U.S. President Barack Obama's account of what happened.

"We've heard lots of people who are denying the facts in this case," Alexander said.

"It's an insult to everyone's intelligence to propagate that kind of conspiracy. We have seen the president of the United States ... give a very compelling account of what this mission was about, what the result was. I don't think anyone has any reason to doubt the veracity of that."

NDP foreign affairs critic weighs in

NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar said the party does not doubt the U.S. government has photos.

"We have no reason to doubt the veracity of President Obama’s statement," Dewar wrote in an emailed statement.

"I understand that the U.S. government has photos, but decided not to release them as they do not want them used as trophies. This is a legitimate concern. We agree these types of photos shouldn’t be used as propaganda tools.

"As in all cases, the public’s right to know must be balanced with public safety concerns."

Obama announced Sunday night that American forces had killed bin Laden after months of careful tracking. The U.S. government has photos but said it has decided not to release them because they're so inflammatory.

"There are sensitivities here in terms of the appropriateness of releasing photos of Osama bin Laden," White House press secretary Jay Carney told a press briefing Tuesday.

"It's fair to say that it's a gruesome photograph."

----------------------------------------

I wouldn't say this was the best thing to jump on when you're just getting into government after an election, but I do agree with certain points made above:

There are American & International Laws that need to be followed & investigated, even if Osama was an evil pr*ck.... he's still a human being.

One thing that concerned me though was this:

"We've heard lots of people who are denying the facts in this case," Alexander said.

Facts are backed up by evidence..... if there is no evidence provided, then how does the public know they're facts?

Because we have to have faith in a politicians word to be true?

I imagine it happened, and I believe they did kill Osama..... more then I believe they didn't.

But Evidence needs to be provided to remove the conspiracy theories and the idea by many in the middle east that he's still alive & further add to his popularity/fame.

The whole defense about National Security or the worry that showing the photos would increase tensions and make some extremists angry isn't much of an argument, as they're already angry and whether it's true he's dead or not won't matter because they'll use any excuse to devise an attack on someone or something, photos or not.

And this whole conspiracy of whether Osama is alive or dead will continue on and on and on until evidence is shown..... just like Obama's birth certificate issue. People went on and on about it until Obama finally said "Here, look, now p*ss off."

The same will eventually need to be done here.

But I did hear in an Australian report about how Osama died. He was unarmed, one of his wifes jumped at one of the soldiers' weapons while Osama swore or cursed something and they shot her & him.

To add/update a good point made by Obama:

Obama won't release bin Laden photos - World - CBC News

..... "We've done DNA sampling and testing, and so there is no doubt that we killed Osama bin Laden," Obama said. "Certainly there is no doubt among al-Qaeda members that he is dead and so we don't think that a photograph in and of itself is going to make any difference. There are going to be some folks who deny it.

"The fact of the matter is, you will not see bin Laden walking on this earth again."......

Yet my concern about conspiracy theorists still remains.... the above is logical and reasonable for me, but I know there will be others, like Trump, who will want the evidence :p

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
Meh. Everyone has an opinion about this. I'm waiting to see some more proof one way or the other. In the grand scheme his death doesn't really make much difference to be honest.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But Evidence needs to be provided to remove the conspiracy theories and the idea by many in the middle east that he's still alive & further add to his popularity/fame.

Do you really believe that a photograph of a dead man with his skull blown partly off is going to dispel conspiracy theories?

They have actual videos of him alive saying he was part of 9/11 and conspiracy buffs think they are all fake.

Obama is doing the right thing in my opinion. Those that say that he's still alive will do so with or without the photos released.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The real conspiracy here is not about Osama being dead or alive - he's dead alright. The real conspiracy is that the Obama administration is holding onto this to keep people talking about it. He'll reveal the photos closer to the next election and enjoy another ratings boost.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The real conspiracy here is not about Osama being dead or alive - he's dead alright. The real conspiracy is that the Obama administration is holding onto this to keep people talking about it. He'll reveal the photos closer to the next election and enjoy another ratings boost.

I've heard that, but I doubt it would help one way or the other. How would releasing a photo like that help?

IF this mission happened next October... now that would have helped.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Do you really believe that a photograph of a dead man with his skull blown partly off is going to dispel conspiracy theories?

They have actual videos of him alive saying he was part of 9/11 and conspiracy buffs think they are all fake.

Obama is doing the right thing in my opinion. Those that say that he's still alive will do so with or without the photos released.
I agree ES. Anything released would just stir up nonsense. OBL pic would become the jihad poster boy, and those who refuse to believe anything will continue their life-long mission.

He's gone. Done like dinner. The only real issue is he won't be causing any more problems.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Last I heard, America was one of Canada's closest allies, if not the closest.
The NDP has had real relevance in recent memory for...about 72hrs or so,
and they're already working on eroding a bond with that partner? Wow...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
NDP deputy leader doubts bin Laden photos exist - Canada - CBC News

The deputy leader of Canada's new Official Opposition party says he doubts the U.S. has photos of Osama bin Laden's body.

Thomas Mulcair, who stands in for NDP Leader Jack Layton in the House of Commons when he is away, told CBC's Power & Politics with Evan Solomon that he doesn't believe photos exist of bin Laden following his killing by U.S. forces on Sunday in Pakistan.

"I don't think, from what I've heard, that those pictures exist and if they do I'll leave that up to the American military," he told host Evan Solomon.

"If they've got pictures of a cadaver then there's probably more going on than we suspect in what happened there," Mulcair said.

Mulcair also said the killing requires "a full analysis" on whether it was self-defence or a direct killing because "that has to do with American law and international law as well."

"I think that if the Americans have taken pictures in that circumstance, it won't be able to prove very much as to whether Mr. [bin Laden] was holding a weapon," he said.

Chris Alexander, newly elected Conservative MP and former Canadian ambassador to Afghanistan, said there's no reason to doubt U.S. President Barack Obama's account of what happened.

"It's an insult to everyone's intelligence to propagate that kind of conspiracy. We have seen the president of the United States ... give a very compelling account of what this mission was about, what the result was. I don't think anyone has any reason to doubt the veracity of that."

NDP foreign affairs critic weighs in

NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar said the party does not doubt the U.S. government has photos.

"We have no reason to doubt the veracity of President Obama’s statement," Dewar wrote in an emailed statement.

"I understand that the U.S. government has photos, but decided not to release them as they do not want them used as trophies. This is a legitimate concern. We agree these types of photos shouldn’t be used as propaganda tools.

"As in all cases, the public’s right to know must be balanced with public safety concerns."

Obama announced Sunday night that American forces had killed bin Laden after months of careful tracking. The U.S. government has photos but said it has decided not to release them because they're so inflammatory.

"There are sensitivities here in terms of the appropriateness of releasing photos of Osama bin Laden," White House press secretary Jay Carney told a press briefing Tuesday.

"It's fair to say that it's a gruesome photograph."

----------------------------------------

I wouldn't say this was the best thing to jump on when you're just getting into government after an election, but I do agree with certain points made above:

There are American & International Laws that need to be followed & investigated, even if Osama was an evil pr*ck.... he's still a human being.

One thing that concerned me though was this:

Facts are backed up by evidence..... if there is no evidence provided, then how does the public know they're facts?

Because we have to have faith in a politicians word to be true?

I imagine it happened, and I believe they did kill Osama..... more then I believe they didn't.

The whole defense about National Security or the worry that showing the photos would increase tensions and make some extremists angry isn't much of an argument, as they're already angry and whether it's true he's dead or not won't matter because they'll use any excuse to devise an attack on someone or something, photos or not.

And this whole conspiracy of whether Osama is alive or dead will continue on and on and on until evidence is shown..... just like Obama's birth certificate issue. People went on and on about it until Obama finally said "Here, look, now p*ss off."

The same will eventually need to be done here.

But I did hear in an Australian report about how Osama died. He was unarmed, one of his wifes jumped at one of the soldiers' weapons while Osama swore or cursed something and they shot her & him.

To add/update a good point made by Obama:

Obama won't release bin Laden photos - World - CBC News

Yet my concern about conspiracy theorists still remains.... the above is logical and reasonable for me, but I know there will be others, like Trump, who will want the evidence :p

Nobody cares if it was legal.......it was RIGHT.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The guy had renal failure in the late 90's. Do some Joogling on renal failure and life expectancy.....
Annual mortality rate of 22%.....

If my kidney's fail I guess I'm moving to Pakistan where they know what they are doing and can keep me alive an extra 8 years.

Google

Shot just the other day....... Ummmmmmmm YEAH ****ING RIGHT

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
An experienced politician wouldn't have shared that personal opinion with the press.

Many people have doubts about this story. All we have is the US government's word. I'm still waiting for proof that Saddam Hussein had WMD stockpiles and was involved in the events of 9/11 as per US government claims allegedly supported by conclusive evidence back in 2003. I believe the US government deliberately lied in order to manipulate people into supporting an unprovoked war (war crime) to seize control of Iraq's oil wealth for the benefit large oil companies and their friends.

The US isn't exactly an objective source of information regarding OBL and al Qeda. I am still not convinced that the official narrative regarding 9/11 is accurate. I would have preferred OBL was captured alive and interrogated. If its true he was killed this way, then the US missed a huge opportunity to increase their intel. It appears they had little interest in interrogating OBL. That doesn't make sense.

Right now all we have is the US government's word regarding what happened. You'd have to be pretty gullible to trust whatever the US government says without supporting evidence. As we can see gullibility remains rampant. I'd like to hear what OBL's friends and associates have to say, including those who were allegedly in the house at the time of the raid.

So the NDP deputy leader is correct to have doubts regarding the official story. He was incorrect to discuss them with the press.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Last I heard, America was one of Canada's closest allies, if not the closest.
The NDP has had real relevance in recent memory for...about 72hrs or so,
and they're already working on eroding a bond with that partner? Wow...

Wow, alright.

What we have to sadly admit here, is that despite the fact that it would be somewhat reasonable to take the government's word on this, without evidence or proof, the uncertainty still exists.

The other point of contention is that this is goes against Obama's own promotion of transparency.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In the same way that attack ads help...emotional response.

Like the attack ads that Martha Coakley did against Scott Brown...

"Scott Brown wants to deny treatment for rape victims."

How did that go?

It's a picture of a dead body... not an attack ad.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Pictures aren't going to do anything to quell the doubters: the capability for doctoring them has been around for decades and you can get "experts" to poke holes in the reliability of geniunely authentic ones, and thats exactly what would happen. Conspiracy nuts wouldn't believe this happened if they were there when it happened, there when the photos were taken, there in the DNA labs: they'd still claim it was a double or some crap.

That the 2nd in charge of our new opposition party is one of these idiots just confirms my faith in his party...