Wikileaks Cables Show Massive U.S. Effort to Establish Canadian DMCA

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Wikileaks Cables Show Massive U.S. Effort to Establish Canadian DMCA

http://filesharingtalk.com/content/...ffort-to-Establish-Canadian-DMCA?#new_comment

Wikileaks has released dozens of new U.S. cables that demonstrate years of behind the scenes lobbying by U.S. government officials to pressure Canada into implementing a Canadian DMCA. The cables include confirmation that Prime Minister Harper personally promised U.S. President George Bush at the SPP summit in Montebello, Quebec in 2008 that Canada would pass copyright legislation, U.S. government lines on copyright reform that include explicit support for DMCA-style digital lock rules, and the repeated use of the Special 301 process to "embarrass" Canada into action.
In fact, cables even reveal Canadian officials encouraging the U.S. to maintain the pressure and disclosing confidential information.

This post highlights some of the key cables. An earlier post discussed confirmation that public pressure delayed the introduction of a copyright bill in 2008 and a parallel post focuses on the linkages between CRIA and the U.S. government lobbying effort.

**** these imperalist monkeys, and **** Harper, because you know he is an american puppet who will bend over and do what the yanks want!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I say screw people who steal intellectual property, and try to circumvent copyright laws.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They are if you need to manufacture reasons to hate a single politician.
There's a really skewed logic people have towards copyright infringement that, in my personal experience, seems to transcend all socio-political boundaries in society. Kind of like the old cable "black boxes" or those radar scanners, people seem to think they have some sort of a "right" to have them.

Really skewed ethics.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's a really skewed logic people have towards copyright infringement that, in my personal experience, seems to transcend all socio-political boundaries in society. Kind of like the old cable "black boxes" or those radar scanners, people seem to think they have some sort of a "right" to have them.

Really skewed ethics.
And of course it comes as no shock, that many are nutters and diehard ideologues, that couldn't think outside their prescribed dogma, to save their lives.

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
DMCA - another household word in Canada!

Does anyone remember Harper making DMCA a campaign issue or having the courtesy of seeking the public's opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
DMCA - another household word in Canada!

Does anyone remember Harper seeking public opinion or making DMCA a campaign issue
Why would he? It's merely expanding an already existing law.

Did you get polled when that law was written?

Did you miss the memo or the referendum?

Last edited:

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
Why would he? It's merely expanding an already existing law.

Did you get polled when that law was written?

Did you miss the memo or the referendum?
Given the mentality of the "Harper Government" (official current title), why would we expect that anyone outside the Privy Council was polled, got a memo or received a referendum?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Given the mentality of the "Harper Government" (official current title), why would we expect that anyone outside the Privy Council was polled, got a memo or received a referendum?
No, I didn't. It's an existing law, the expansion of which, is purely legitimate, legal and within the realm of responsible gov't.

Only ideologues think there's something sinister a foot.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting - I recently saw an interview in which the guest advocated reducing the number of years patents are protected, claiming that it would improve innovation. I'm not certain this would work, but the ridiculously long copyrights and patents granted in the US do not seem to have helped it maintain its industrial and intellectual lead.