Saskatchewan teachers to walkout Thursday

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Union wants one-time 12 per cent raise

Teachers in Saskatchewan plan to walk off the job on Thursday for a “study day and rally” after 95 per cent voted in favour of job action last week. The Saskatchewan Teacher’s Federation wants a 12 per cent increase in pay over the next year. The province’s school boards have offered 5.5 per cent over three years. Alberta’s teachers currently make 20 per cent more than their colleagues to the east. The teachers say they will return to class Friday.

Saskatchewan teachers to walkout Thursday – - Macleans OnCampus

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Union wants one-time 12 per cent raise

Teachers in Saskatchewan plan to walk off the job on Thursday for a “study day and rally” after 95 per cent voted in favour of job action last week. The Saskatchewan Teacher’s Federation wants a 12 per cent increase in pay over the next year. The province’s school boards have offered 5.5 per cent over three years. Alberta’s teachers currently make 20 per cent more than their colleagues to the east. The teachers say they will return to class Friday.

Saskatchewan teachers to walkout Thursday – - Macleans OnCampus

Bunch of ......................

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nice description of the useless tits that call themselves teachers. Lousy description of those that want to actually work.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
This has happened before. I remember them walking out in Sask, you could see them walking for three days. lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are they paid according to the rise of cost of living in Saskatchewan? Being paid 20% less than Alberta's teachers, when taxes are higher in Sask, and cost of living jumped up to nearly on par with ours, seems pretty freaking low. 5.5% doesn't sound like much of an improvement, given that in the three years they're planning that increase, it will still probably just bring them to 20% below Alberta.

People like to whine and bitch about the teachers but I'd challenge any of you to sit in my kids' classes and not go completely insane. If we want quality teachers, it starts with quality pay.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
People like to whine and bitch about the teachers but I'd challenge any of you to sit in my kids' classes and not go completely insane.

No thanks, I've seen what you write about your kids!

Here's a funny story. My kids don't have school on Thursday or Friday this week. Thursday is a district curriculum workshop day for teachers (I have no problem with that - every profession I know of has continuing education / meetings). Friday is the annual meeting for the teachers' union, so it a contract-stipulated day off.

Guess what my oldest daughter spent ALL DAY on Monday doing? Baking cookies. Never went to a class. She, and two of her classmates, were asked to spend the day baking cookies for the teachers to have at their meetings.

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
Bunch of ......................

Have they no shame - how dare those "greedy" Saskatchewan teachers not know their place and expect to feed at the "trough" reserved for those financially beleaguered "oil and gas" companies to received their annual $1.5 billion!

As a retired teacher who survived the "Mike Harris Wars" in Ontario during the 1990's, I have a few words of advice for Saskatchewan teachers!

Don't make the same mistakes we did, there are cheaper, more effective ways to put the "fear of God" into the hearts of the "unGodly" - in this case, your political opponents!

For starters, have your federation(s) organize a recruiting drive starting Thursday, whereby every current and retired teacher in Saskatchewan, their spouses and other sympathetic groups go to their of each riding "en masse," and purchase a membership for every political party - especially the one currently in power.

This would put each and every political party on notice that the political "groundrules" had changed and from now on they would no longer have the luxury of dealing with the "rank and file" at arm's length.

Even at this late date, no political party in power in Canada, has ever faced the prospect of having 1000's of angry teachers lined up at their party doorsteps early Thursday morning (the 1st day if the strike), determined to buy a party menbership and exert their own unique brand of "grassroots" democracy!

By going on the political offensive, teachers will also be providing the Canadian public with an "education" in "Civics 101 - how to hold political parties accountable through participatory democracy!"

The "icing on the cake" is that federal and provincial political party memberships also serve as a "tax deduction!"

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Wow, so we effectively just called them scabs without any critical analysis?

What the hell is this world coming to?

Are they paid according to the rise of cost of living in Saskatchewan? Being paid 20% less than Alberta's teachers, when taxes are higher in Sask, and cost of living jumped up to nearly on par with ours, seems pretty freaking low. 5.5% doesn't sound like much of an improvement, given that in the three years they're planning that increase, it will still probably just bring them to 20% below Alberta.

People like to whine and bitch about the teachers but I'd challenge any of you to sit in my kids' classes and not go completely insane. If we want quality teachers, it starts with quality pay.

Thanks Karrie.

At least you used your brain to get your point across.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Wow, so we effectively just called them scabs without any critical analysis?

What the hell is this world coming to?

there was no critical analysis when you skimmed past a pic of pigs, to criticize a pic about scabs.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Fock you.

If you want me to engage in an arguement of whether or not there is a pic of pigs, then you can go fock yourself.

that is why I neg repped you.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Fock you.

If you want me to engage in an arguement of whether or not there is a pic of pigs, then you can go fock yourself.

Would you like to retract your bull**** statement?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Hmmmmmmm.... for some reason, the message by Dasleeper is missing in your screen capture. His was the second message posted, in between the OP and cranky. A picture of piglets suckling at the tit of a mother pig(sow).

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
Fock you.

Coprolalia

Coprolalia is involuntary swearing or the involuntary utterance of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks. Coprolalia comes from the Greek κόπρος (kopros) meaning "feces" and λαλιά (lalia) from lalein, "to talk" ..... Coprolalia encompasses words and phrases that are culturally taboo or generally unsuitable for acceptable social use, when used out of context .....

Some patients have been treated by injecting botulinum toxin (botox) near the vocal cords. This does not prevent the vocalizations, but the partial paralysis that results helps to control the volume of any outbursts. Surprisingly, botox injections result in more generalized relief of tics than the vocal relief expected ..... severity and frequency of outbursts can also be decreased by surgically disabling nuclei in the thalamus, the globus pallidus and the cingulate cortex.
Its readily apparent that "cranky" has missed his/her "botulinium toxin (botox) shot.

There is also an on-line sign-ip sheet for those interested in "disabling" cranky's "globus pallidus!"

Personally, I'd like to mount it on my "mantlepiece!"

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I took a 10% cut of salary last year I'll never get back.
Nothing I really could have done. my Union flat out would not
fight it. And look at me today im still un-employed.

Let them walkout and see how long they can fight. Its there freedom.
A freedom we all should have no matter how you feel about any one given situation
Our goverments just need to stand for whats right, and don't let it get ugly.

Even if Kids get 1 full year off sckool who cares. its not like there's a job
waiting for them at the end of college anyways, they will end up living at
there parent well passed 30 years old that they miss a year or 2.

We have a system let it run its cource withought being total assholes.
Its as simple as our goverments saying no. Let it drag out for 5 years even
who cares

I bet a lot of young people could use a job babysitting kids anyways.
May turn out to be a great thing for the economie. Like geting some of your
30 years old still living at home working finaly.