Notable quotes from federal party leaders

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Some notable quotes from federal party leaders Tuesday:

"They made me pop this champagne and ... wanted me to guzzle it out of the bottle. Some of you know, I'm not much of a drinker but I did. However, they tricked me; there was only like that much in it. So much for my wild side." — Prime Minister Stephen Harper on his election night celebration.
———

"It's not true that an opposition party cannot influence a government's agenda. .... An opposition party can have a major influence on a government's direction." — NDP Leader Jack Layton on facing a majority Conservative government.
———

"Canadians were always slightly surprised to meet me in the flesh because I didn't turn out to be quite as bad as the ads portrayed me." — Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff on Tory attack ads.
———

"Of course they attacked me. Of course they vilified me. Of course they engaged in an absolutely unscrupulous campaign of personal attack. But, look, the only thing Canadians like less than a loser is a sore loser. And I go out of politics with my head held high." — Ignatieff.
———

"We'll have a lot of new energy, new blood, new talent and new knowledge coming into the House of Commons. And when people vote for change, that's exactly what they're hoping will happen." — Layton reponds to questions about his roster of inexperienced MPs.
———

"We will not question the foundations of our public health-care system." — Harper says his majority government will respect Canadian values.
———

"We got that mandate because of the way we have governed, because of our record. And Canadians expect us to continue to move forward in the same way — to be true to the platform we've run on, to be true to the kind of values and policies that we've laid out before them. And that's what we will do." — Harper.
———

"He understands that more than 60 per cent of Canadians did not support his government. That's a strong majority of Canadians. And therefore he has an obligation and an opportunity as prime minister to work with others." — Layton on Harper.
———

"The one thing that I've learned in this business is that surprises are not generally well-received by the public." — Harper says his government does not have a hidden right-wing agenda.
———

"I'm a teacher, born and bred, and I'm really looking forward to teaching. No offers yet; no reasonable offers refused." — Ignatieff on what he'll do after stepping down.
———

"I think the surest guarantee of the future for the Liberal Party of Canada is four years of Conservative government and four years of NDP opposition." — Ignatieff rejects thoughts of a merger with the NDP.
———

"I think Western Canada can breathe a lot easier. ... The West will have its say." — Harper, whose party has deep western roots.
———

"There must be someone out there — possibly in the room this morning and possibly watching on television — who looks at me and thinks, 'He didn't get there but I will.'" — Ignatieff.
———

"By the time I became leader of the Opposition, Conservatives — at least federally and at many other levels — were an extinct species in Toronto. So we'd become alien." — Harper on challenges he faced winning over Toronto voters.
———

"We have a lot more work to do to gain the true confidence of Quebecers. ... I am disappointed but not discouraged." — Harper on his party's losses in Quebec.
———

"The house I'm most concerned about is the House of Commons." — Layton on moving into Stornoway, residence of the official Opposition leader.

The Canadian Press: Some notable quotes from federal party leaders Tuesday

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not eat them in the rain.
I will not eat them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.