Moving to territorial bilingualism?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If we consider:

1. that the majority Conservative Party has at least some members among its ranks (e.g. Scott Reid: lament for a Notion ) in favour of moving towards territorial bilingualism as a more cost-effective federal language policy,
2. that the NDP has at least some members in favour of applying Bill 101 to all Federal institutions in Quebec,
3. that objectives 1. and 2. above are at least somewhat compatible in principle,
4. that many Quebecois may very well have voted for the NDP owing to Layton's expression of openness with regards to Bill 101, and
5. that some Conservative voters are likely in favour of moving towards territorial bilingualism,

It would seem to me that both the Conservative Party and the NDP could feel the pressure later to in fact move towards territorial bilingualism. Even if not all Conservatives and not all New Democrats support the idea, let's remember that there is always the possiblity of strange bedfellows forming on this front, potentially sideswiping nay-sayers in both parties.

Quite frankly, the Conservatives could likely have tried to negotiate this with the Bloc, but the stigma of the Bloc among Conservative supporters and vice versa for Bloc supporters would not have made it impossible.

Should NDP and Conservative members be able to bridge this barrier, we may have a majority of MPs among these two parties who would be prepared to support this, thus putting pressure on the rest of the Conservative and NDP Caucuses.

Add to that that showing willingness to work together among federalist parties, and an ability find common cause between Quebecers and the ROC would also go far to at least gain respect from sovereigntists. After all, the first step to converting one to your cause is to gain their respect.

Moving towards territorial bilingualism would likely save the Federal government alone at least millions of dollars.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I am in favor of multilingualism instead of bilingualism. Multilingualism supports our goal of multiculturalism. Bilingualism does not.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I am in favor of multilingualism instead of bilingualism. Multilingualism supports our goal of multiculturalism. Bilingualism does not.

Ironically enough, local official unilingualism contributes to multilingualism in that if, let's say, in Quebec I'm only required to learn French, then I have more freedom to choose which second language to learn. Of course the same applies in English Canada.

According to Reid's plan, only regions where a significant number of both English and French speakers reside would be bilingual, the rest of the country being officially either English or French speaking depending on the region.