Harper does London fly-in

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Harper does London fly-in

On his last campaign stop in London, Stephen Harper met with two London women who were booted out of an earlier London rally because of a picture posted on Facebook.

After a brief rally at London Airport Cargo Terminal filled mostly with cheering supporters, Harper’s campaign team summoned Awish Aslam and Evelyn Taylor to his Conservative campaign bus where he was waiting.

But though they boarded the bus excited, Aslam said she left “disappointed,” because she did not get the apology she had been hoping for.

“I’m not too impressed. I was really excited, because we were meeting (Harper) and I really thought he would apologize for what happened,” said Aslam, who made national headlines last month after news surfaced that she had been kicked out of a Conservative rally in London because she had a picture of herself standing with Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff posted on her Facebook page.

“He talked to us about school,” she said. He looked as though he was ready for them to leave when Aslam asked Harper why she and Taylor were kicked out .

In response, she said it was Harper’s wife, Laureen, who said “something about, in the past, people have come in and caused a ruckus.”

Taylor was less disappointed in the meeting, saying she was just happy to have met Harper.

The women were among several hundred who turned out to the terminal for the scripted rally.

Reading from a prepared text, Harper stuck mostly to his party message, with more than five minutes spent attacking New Democrat policies.

His words drew thunderous applause from the crowd, but it was his lack of certain words that left some discouraged. “He was right here in London, couldn’t he have mentioned Diamond Aircraft?” asked Val Frankis, a Diamond employee who showed up hopeful Harper might announce a Tory government would consider a controversial $35 million loan.

“We are not feeling the love.”

Harper does London fly-in | London | News | London Free Press