Many voters lacking ‘basic tools,’ experts say

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Many voters lacking ‘basic tools,’ experts say

An election campaign that began slowly appears headed for a corker of a finish Monday, when Canadians vote for Prime Minister. Political junkies argue it’s a seminal vote so electors might want to think carefully before marking an “X” beside their choice for PM: Stephen Harper, Jack Layton, Michael Ignatieff, Gilles Duceppe or Elizabeth May.

Wait. Hold on. Not!

You didn’t fall for that, right? You know that’s not how we do it. Canadians don’t vote directly for the PM, but rather for a member of Parliament in 308 ridings across the country.

The scary part, say public policy experts, is that too many Canadians don’t know. The Dominion Institute, a national think-tank, released an Ipsos-Reid poll in 2008 showing 51 per cent of respondents believe the Prime Minister is elected by direct ballot. And subsequent studies are just as discouraging.

“There’s not the level of engagement we’d like to see. Canadians don’t have the basic tools in their tool kits to understand the history or politics of the country,” said Jeremy Diamond, the institute’s managing director. “A poll in 2009 showed only 40 per cent knew the first Prime Minister was John A. Macdonald.”

In another study, only 33 per cent could identify the Battle of Vimy Ridge as a critical Canadian World War I victory that “consisted of the capture of a key ridge,” he said.

“Half the answer was in the question” — and respondents still didn’t get it.

And this is troubling why?

Because, said Diamond, “it could affect our vote. It may be we’re not knowledgeable enough to go to the polls and make decisions about who can represent us. When we’re ill-informed we’re making choices without all the facts.”

It can also affect how we interpret what happens after the May 2 vote.

Carleton University journalism professor Elly Alboim says we could be going into an election in which “May 3 may just be the beginning of the story.”

The way the polls have been shifting over the past 10 days, the result could be one of several scenarios, depending on how the votes shake out in our parliamentary democracy.

It would probably be a good idea, Alboim argues, for Canadians to understand the significance of these scenarios before they occur in order to better deal with them.

For years, the Dominion Institute has raised the alarm that we’re losing our history and understanding of our political system. Only four provinces — Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba and Nova Scotia — even require Canadian history as a mandatory course in high school.

We’re a TV-show nation, often fans of American television and movies. We’ve gotten involved in how Martin Sheen as Jed Bartlet battled for votes on The West Wing, often forgetting the American president runs an independent campaign.

“There’s no doubt Canadians form a lot of their understanding from American TV,” said Alboim.

Canadians even watch American legal shows and mistakenly believe Canadian police have to read them their Miranda rights — the right to remain silent, etc. — before arresting them.

“I think what we have in Canada is a failure to understand and respect our own history,” said Diamond.

“Canadians are not very good at telling their stories and we live beside a monster nation that is very good at telling its stories.”

At Carleton, Alboim says the faculty had to create a civics course for second-year journalism students some years ago because they didn’t understand how our major institutions work, including Parliament and the courts. It consists of 12 three-hour classes.

“We realized they didn’t know the basics of the parliamentary system,” he said. “There was a lack of understanding of responsible government.”

Alboim first became aware of a problem when he was CBC-TV’s parliamentary bureau chief in the early 1990s and Reform leader Preston Manning started talking about how MPs had to vote according to the wishes of their constituencies. That may be the wise thing to do if MPs want to be re-elected, but it’s not required under Canadian party politics.

“I think it’s really important to know the scenarios that could be coming” after the election is over, Alboim says. “They are potentially difficult but they could have both legitimacy and constitutional authority.”
It could be easy. There could be a majority government with no muss, no fuss. But if a party has the most votes — a plurality — but not at least half of the elected MPs, things get tricky. We’re back in the minority government territory of Prime Minister Stephen Harper over the past five years.

Optics matter. A strong minority would mitigate against opposition parties trying to bring down the government. A weak minority might do the opposite.

“The Prime Minister governs with the consent of the House,” said Alboim. “It may be an appropriate course of action if the government falls for there to be another election. Or it may be more appropriate to turn to another party that has the confidence of the House (or parties) to govern without having another election.”

While that would be legal, he added it may not be “politically wise” to defeat a minority government that received strong support from voters.

Peter Russell, editor emeritus in political science at the University of Toronto and a leading constitutional expert, argues “our system of parliamentary democracy is the most successful form of democracy in the world.”

But there’s an important element to remember.

“The basics of our system are simple. We elect the Parliament and the Parliament decides who gets the right to govern,” Russell said. “That’s it.”

Many voters lacking ?basic tools,? experts say - thestar.com

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
“The basics of our system are simple. We elect the Parliament and the Parliament decides who gets the right to govern,” Russell said. “That’s it.”

Oh so true. Great post MF.

But even more importantly, a good grasp of English comprehension and basic objectivity.

From what I've seen, that's more lacking than an understanding of the Canadian political process.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The reality of it is too that the majority of us get our information from television.Who is showcased on television? The party leaders.

I would doubt very few people even know very much about the candidates in their ridings. I'll even confess here that, because this election was run during April and since I work in a small public accounting office and haven't seen the light of day since early March, even I don't know much about my local candidates. And I consider myself to be relatively well informed usually.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The reality of it is too that the majority of us get our information from television.Who is showcased on television? The party leaders.

That's the biggest problem, in my opinion.

I don't really care if Layton is good guy to have a beer with. If I read the NDP platform and I like it at the time of election - I will vote for it. For all I care, they could have ****ing androids leading these parties - they'd probably keep more promises, too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think someone should forward this to Colpy so he can understand how our system works.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

I would doubt very few people even know very much about the candidates in their ridings. I'll even confess here that, because this election was run during April and since I work in a small public accounting office and haven't seen the light of day since early March, even I don't know much about my local candidates. And I consider myself to be relatively well informed usually.
I've know Van Loan. I think he's a bobblehead. Like all politicians, he's more apt at shaking babies and kissing hands, than sticking to his guns for his constituents. The conservative platform, not that scary if you ask me. Not overly impressed, but not nerely as pie in the sky as some.

I'm most definitely a Liberal at heart, but I'll never vote Liberal again. So Cynthia's out. Their platform, all over the board. As tangible as warm jello.

Sylvia Geri, impresses me as much as a tooth ache. She comes off like a smug bitch. If you aren't sporting a fat wad of cash, live in a fancy house, hold a degree in something useless or come across as a blue collar poster boy, she don't know ya. The NDP platform is a lovely combination of lofty pipe dreams and flights of fancy. I'm sure they can find enough buyers to form the opposition.

That leaves me with the Green's, again. Dewar, a decent enough guy, that I actually like, very down to earth. But the Green platform is out of this world.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think someone should forward this to Colpy so he can understand how our system works.

Dear Gerry,

Anytime you'd like to engage in a knowledge contest with me on Canadian history and political science, you're on! Especially with a wager..... :)

Fair warning, I've spent my life fascinated with both, and have a degree in History, with Poly Sci as a minor.......which was granted me with distinction.

The election of the individual MP has become increasingly irrelevant ever since that scumball Trudeau centralized power in the PMO and referred to backbenchers as "those nobodies". A situation exacerbated by every major PM we've had since then. One of the reasons I was Reform.

Thank you for your attention.

Yours Sincerely

Colpy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've know Van Loan. I think he's a bobblehead. Like all politicians, he's more apt at shaking babies and kissing hands, than sticking to his guns for his constituents. The conservative platform, not that scary if you ask me. Not overly impressed, but not nerely as pie in the sky as some.

I'm most definitely a Liberal at heart, but I'll never vote Liberal again. So Cynthia's out. Their platform, all over the board. As tangible as warm jello.

Sylvia Geri, impresses me as much as a tooth ache. She comes off like a smug bitch. If you aren't sporting a fat wad of cash, live in a fancy house, hold a degree in something useless or come across as a blue collar poster boy, she don't know ya. The NDP platform is a lovely combination of lofty pipe dreams and flights of fancy. I'm sure they can find enough buyers to form the opposition.

That leaves me with the Green's, again. Dewar, a decent enough guy, that I actually like, very down to earth. But the Green platform is out of this world.
There was no doubt in my mind that you would know you're local candidates. My shame is that I don't, my only excuse is that I've been neck deep in corporate ledgers and personal tax returns.

But despite the knowledge, it kind of seems like your in the same boat that I'm in. A decision to be made and no clear, good choice on the horizon.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There was no doubt in my mind that you would know you're local candidates. My shame is that I don't, my only excuse is that I've been neck deep in corporate ledgers and personal tax returns.
I don't know where you live, but I don't think there's any shame to be had. I have the advantage of living in a rural area, where the candidates have a tendency to show up at gatherings. I'm not shy.

But despite the knowledge, it kind of seems like your in the same boat that I'm in. A decision to be made and no clear, good choice on the horizon.
Bingo!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Dear Gerry,

Anytime you'd like to engage in a knowledge contest with me on Canadian history and political science, you're on! Especially with a wager..... :)

Fair warning, I've spent my life fascinated with both, and have a degree in History, with Poly Sci as a minor.......which was granted me with distinction.

The election of the individual MP has become increasingly irrelevant ever since that scumball Trudeau centralized power in the PMO and referred to backbenchers as "those nobodies". A situation exacerbated by every major PM we've had since then. One of the reasons I was Reform.

Yours Sincerely

Colpy

Well golly gee Colpy, it "appears" you may know, but your postings during thjis election just don't show it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Dear Gerry,

Yours Sincerely

Colpy

Typical arrogance from the intellectual elite.:roll:

You have proven to be quite the dummy on several fronts Colpy.....exspecially on economics and climate science.

I'll debate you on either.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Typical arrogance from the intelectual elite.:roll:

you have proven to be quite the dummy on several fronts Colpy.....exspecailly on economics and climate science.

I'm curious numbnuts, where does he say he was an expert in economics and climate science? I only saw History and Poli-Sci. You do realize that both those subjects do not envelop either economics OR climate science, don't you?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
People are well qualified in my opinion, life is a guessing game and gambling on chances.
People go to the polls for many reasons and your local MP has little to do with it most of
the time. People go to support or condemn a leader, they vote their emotion of the day and
even issues get ignored. Iggy talked about a plan for a better way and some of it is really
good stuff. The problem is the Liberals are no longer fashionable. The Conservatives took
the dark course telling people that any other group except the Tories were dangerous and
a drag on the economy. The problem is people are tired of fear and doom. They also don't
feel like they have benefited from the economy, and they want a bigger share of the pie.
Jack put some ideas out there and said if they work we will build a better Canada together.
A smile makes the sunshine in the clouds of doom as it were.
There are others who will not vote for a social conservative tied to evangelical religious
groups and I am one of those. I know many who are conservative who won't vote for him
either, because they feel the Reform Party hijacked the Progressive Conservative Party.
For example I would vote almost anything to keep Elizabeth May and the Greens out of the
House of Commons. Its not that people lack the tools, they prefer to vote by perception
and that is their democratic right.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Typical arrogance from the intellectual elite.:roll:

You have proven to be quite the dummy on several fronts Colpy.....exspecially on economics and climate science.

I'll debate you on either.

I claim no expertise on either.....and largely don't care.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm curious numbnuts, where does he say he was an expert in economics and climate science? I only saw History and Poli-Sci. You do realize that both those subjects do not envelop either economics OR climate science, don't you?

That's true, he bases his opinion on those two subject but has things to say on things I mentioned and never ever responds to them.

Running a country is much more than two subjects......and political science is a subject based on how to mainpulate the populace.

I claim no expertise on either.....and largely don't care.

You don't care about economics nor the impact AGW has on it?

Not surprised.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's true, he bases his opinion on those two subject but has things to say on things I mentioned and never ever responds to them.

Running a country is much more than two subjects......and political science is a subject based on how to mainpulate the populace.

and your point is what????? besides the one on your head.

One does NOT need to know anything about any of those subjects. One only needs to surround oneself with the appropriate experts who do.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
and your point is what????? besides the one on your head.

One does NOT need to know anything about any of those subjects. One only needs to surround oneself with the appropriate experts who do.

I did, met with a few climate scientists and know two economists.