More Bad News For Harper's Conservatives.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Statistics Canada is about to get in the last word, and it doesn’t sound good.

It’s certainly not what Stephen Harper, whose Conservatives are running on the economy, will want to hear only days before the May 2 election, but analysts are warning that Statistics Canada on Friday will likely report that economic growth has stalled, or worse.

Ironically, it’s also the last thing, or at least last major economic report, that Harper will hear from the federal statistical agency, with which his government has been at loggerheads, before Canadians go to the polls.

“Canada’s monthly GDP winning streak is about to sputter,” says CIBC World Markets economist Emanuella Enenajor. “The Canadian economy likely paused in February after four straight months of hot growth.”

And it’s not expected to be just a temporary slowdown.

It’s also likely the start of what the Bank of Canada has warned will be three-year growth slump — from 3.1 per cent last year to 2.9 this year, 2.6 in 2012 and just 2.1 in 2013 — with the expansion dampened by government and consumer spending restraint, and fraught with “downside” risks, including record household debt here and political and financial uncertainties around the globe.

The slowdown, however, won’t save Canadians from higher interest rates in light of last week’s report that inflation in March surged to 3.3 per cent, well above the ceiling of the central bank’s one-to-three-per-cent inflation target range, and more than a full point beyond its two per cent target.

The inflation “shocker” triggered warnings that the central bank will start raising rates again sooner rather than later.

“Beyond the first quarter, the heady pace of growth is likely to slow, but remain robust enough to encourage the Bank of Canada to tighten monetary policy at their July meeting,” Enanjor said.

And just as Friday’s GDP report may be the start of the growth slump, the next interest rate hike will likely be the start of an expected steady run-up in rates that will also act as a drag on growth and add to the already high debt burden being borne by Canadian households, not to mention even more deeply indebted governments.

While the central bank has repeatedly issued warnings about rising household debt, BMO Capital Markets economist Douglas Porter noted that one of the major reasons Canadians are so deeply in debt is that they’ve been enjoying some of the lowest real or after-inflation borrowing rates ever.

“In fact, the chartered bank prime lending rate, currently at three per cent, is now below inflation for one of the few times in the past half-century,” he said, pointing out that the prime rate, to which most consumer and business loans are linked, has typically been four points higher than inflation, not below inflation as it is now.

“And it’s not just short-term interest rates that are on the wrong side of inflation,” Porter said, noting that 10-year government bonds are also now below inflation, suggesting governments may have also been lured deeper into debt by low borrowing costs.

So if inflation goes even higher this month, as is expected, and the central bank doesn’t start raising rates shortly after, “then they can hardly complain about record household debt levels when Canadians are simply being logical by borrowing heavily in the face of deeply negative real interest rates,” Porter added.

BMO, however, projects the central bank will be raising rates shortly and that its key rate, now at just 1.0 per cent, will rise to 3.5 per cent by the end of next year, which would trigger matching increases in rates on consumer and business loans.

Harper losing his ace in the hole as economy shows signs of slowing | iPolitics

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Statistics Canada is about to get in the last word, and it doesn’t sound good.

It’s certainly not what Stephen Harper, whose Conservatives are running on the economy, will want to hear only days before the May 2 election, but analysts are warning that Statistics Canada on Friday will likely report that economic growth has stalled, or worse.

Ironically, it’s also the last thing, or at least last major economic report, that Harper will hear from the federal statistical agency, with which his government has been at loggerheads, before Canadians go to the polls.

“Canada’s monthly GDP winning streak is about to sputter,” says CIBC World Markets economist Emanuella Enenajor. “The Canadian economy likely paused in February after four straight months of hot growth.”

And it’s not expected to be just a temporary slowdown.

It’s also likely the start of what the Bank of Canada has warned will be three-year growth slump — from 3.1 per cent last year to 2.9 this year, 2.6 in 2012 and just 2.1 in 2013 — with the expansion dampened by government and consumer spending restraint, and fraught with “downside” risks, including record household debt here and political and financial uncertainties around the globe.

The slowdown, however, won’t save Canadians from higher interest rates in light of last week’s report that inflation in March surged to 3.3 per cent, well above the ceiling of the central bank’s one-to-three-per-cent inflation target range, and more than a full point beyond its two per cent target.

The inflation “shocker” triggered warnings that the central bank will start raising rates again sooner rather than later.

“Beyond the first quarter, the heady pace of growth is likely to slow, but remain robust enough to encourage the Bank of Canada to tighten monetary policy at their July meeting,” Enanjor said.

And just as Friday’s GDP report may be the start of the growth slump, the next interest rate hike will likely be the start of an expected steady run-up in rates that will also act as a drag on growth and add to the already high debt burden being borne by Canadian households, not to mention even more deeply indebted governments.

While the central bank has repeatedly issued warnings about rising household debt, BMO Capital Markets economist Douglas Porter noted that one of the major reasons Canadians are so deeply in debt is that they’ve been enjoying some of the lowest real or after-inflation borrowing rates ever.

“In fact, the chartered bank prime lending rate, currently at three per cent, is now below inflation for one of the few times in the past half-century,” he said, pointing out that the prime rate, to which most consumer and business loans are linked, has typically been four points higher than inflation, not below inflation as it is now.

“And it’s not just short-term interest rates that are on the wrong side of inflation,” Porter said, noting that 10-year government bonds are also now below inflation, suggesting governments may have also been lured deeper into debt by low borrowing costs.

So if inflation goes even higher this month, as is expected, and the central bank doesn’t start raising rates shortly after, “then they can hardly complain about record household debt levels when Canadians are simply being logical by borrowing heavily in the face of deeply negative real interest rates,” Porter added.

BMO, however, projects the central bank will be raising rates shortly and that its key rate, now at just 1.0 per cent, will rise to 3.5 per cent by the end of next year, which would trigger matching increases in rates on consumer and business loans.

Harper losing his ace in the hole as economy shows signs of slowing | iPolitics

My emphasis added....lol.

Pretty definite stuff! :) NOT.

BTW, if the economy is in the toilet, and the problem is debt....

Perhaps this is NOT the time to elect Idiot Jack with his 4 year 70 BILLION dollar new spending regime???

Ya think????

:)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Perhaps this is NOT the time to elect Idiot Jack with his 4 year 70 BILLION dollar new spending regime???

Ya think????

Yeah... Stats Can, what do they know. :angry3:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Ya think????

Or maybe not the time to reduce the GST. Oh, but I forgot that boat has sailed. Must be time to reduce corporate taxes, then.

Some tax must be reduced, that's what Harper does.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How does a tax reduction compensate for high hydro costs in Ontario (thanks Tories) or high labour costs all across Canada? Investors are in it for what they can get out of it. It doesn't matter to them if it's Made in Canada or Made in China as long as they can make a buck off it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Ya think????

Or hey, let's not buy jets to fight the boogy man right now.

A Tory majority will be worse given the tightening of fiscal austerity and a higher dollar which will come with a stable government.

Ask exporters how they feel obout trying to peddle goods at a higher price?

Reading comprehension problems???

Likely, and Expected don't cut it.....and even if there is a slowdown, as I said, that is NO time to engage in 70 billion dollars of new spending over 4 years.

What are they spending it on?

With the coporate tax rate going up 19.5% what is the difference and they have said they will spend as finances permit.

Have you read their platform?

....or the costing document?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Likely, and Expected don't cut it.....and even if there is a slowdown, as I said, that is NO time to engage in 70 billion dollars of new spending over 4 years.

But it is time to spend 135 billion on fighters and another 10-15 billion on super-max prisons????

I would think even you could see 70 billion into health, education and small businesses owned in Canada and directed at the actual people of Canada is better than 150 billion to US mega-corps and cutting corporate tax by 16 billion.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
But it is time to spend 135 billion on fighters and another 10-15 billion on super-max prisons????

I would think even you could see 70 billion into health, education and small businesses owned in Canada and directed at the actual people of Canada is better than 150 billion to US mega-corps and cutting corporate tax by 16 billion.

Why are we bulding more prisons if the crime rate is going down?

Must be that madatory minimum that Colpy likes so much.

Or maybe not the time to reduce the GST. Oh, but I forgot that boat has sailed. Must be time to reduce corporate taxes, then.

Some tax must be reduced, that's what Harper does.

Ah yes corporate tax, the very tax that Ireland reduced and it was the poster boy for Farty's plan to reduce ours.....then the Irish economy went down the toilet and they are now going to get a bailout from France and Germany who have higher corporate tax rates....funny how old Farty has torn that poster down.......:lol:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why are we bulding more prisons if the crime rate is going down?

Must be that madatory minimum that Colpy likes so much.

We are going to need those prisons. Think about it, with the economy in the toilet, unemplyment on the rise, and inflation taking off at alarming rates there will be a huge increase in the crime rates as people start stealing food to survive.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Ya think????

Yet you do support re-electing idiot Harper who proposes spending 60 billion on airplanes without engines or armaments. Even worse, he's going to spend that money without going through any competitive process or opposition oversight.

If the NDP is so fiscally irresponsible as NDP fear mongerers claim then how is it possible that NDP governments have delivered 10 consecutive balanced budgets in Manitoba and a budget surplus in Nova Scotia??

Lets get realistic here. The NDP isn't going to form the next government, but they have a good chance of replacing the Liberals as the official opposition in a minority Conservative government.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Or hey, let's not buy jets to fight the boogy man right now.

A Tory majority will be worse given the tightening of fiscal austerity and a higher dollar which will come with a stable government.

Ask exporters how they feel obout trying to peddle goods at a higher price?

What are they spending it on?

With the coporate tax rate going up 19.5% what is the difference and they have said they will spend as finances permit.

Have you read their platform?

....or the costing document?

You mean the document based on a growing economy.....which you just declared defunct? The economy that is supposed to survive fuel prices escalated by cap and trade? You know that makes everything more expensive.

I listened to an economist this morning (on CBC) saying Jack's corporate tax hike will generate 3 billion a year.....at max. Basically, he said his costing mechanism was fantasy.

Jack will be a disaster for Canadian unity (alienating the west, opening talks with Quebec that are doomed to failure)

Jack will be a disaster for the Canadian economy.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

You're lecturing me on reading comprehension? You thought the 2nd Amendment was a Canadian law for crying out loud.
You're just going to have face facts Colpy, Harper put the country in the toilet, blamed the rest of the world, spent like a spoiled wife and can't bring the economy that was repaired by the Liberals from the last time the Conservatives messed it up, back into the black.

As always they spent their way into power and once they couldn't pay to hold on to it, the voters are dumping them again. The sooner you accept it the sooner you can start dealing with your emotional crisis.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You mean the document based on a growing economy.....which you just declared defunct? The economy that is supposed to survive fuel prices escalated by cap and trade? You know that makes everything more expensive.

Bread is up 30% in the last 2 months, coffee is up 35% in the same period, beef is up 20%, chicken and pork are up 25%, plastic products are up 30%....do I need to go on.

I listened to an economist this morning (on CBC) saying Jack's corporate tax hike will generate 3 billion a year.....at max. Basically, he said his costing mechanism was fantasy.
You might want to have someone who doesn't sit in Harper's back pocket check the math on that. If dropping the corporate tax rate from 16% to 15% will reduce tax revenue by 6-10 billion what would be the result of increasing the rate from 16% to 19.5%? Can you handle that simple calculation or should we have Harpo's team work it out for you.

Jack will be a disaster for Canadian unity (alienating the west, opening talks with Quebec that are doomed to failure)
That's hilarious, most of Jacko's support is in the west.

The corporate shill Harper has already been a disaster for our economy and his financial policies will continue to make it worse for everyone but the big banks and mega-corps.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bread is up 30% in the last 2 months, coffee is up 35% in the same period, beef is up 20%, chicken and pork are up 25%, plastic products are up 30%....do I need to go on.
Is this a regional thing. Our food costs haven't gone up.

That's hilarious, most of Jacko's support is in the west.
Just because the left coast is west of here...

The corporate shill Harper has already been a disaster for our economy and his financial policies will continue to make it worse for everyone but the big banks and mega-corps.
My business is up 150%, and the bulk of it, is small businesses.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

What fear mongering that is.

I have stated that I am not a fan of Cap and trade but do support a carbon tax, since Layton may not even be the opposition that is not a worry I have.....let's be a tad realistic instead of waiting for the sky to fall like most chicken little cons do.

So now you believe the CBC....ah yes....because it's pro tory on that one....got it.

The West won't be affected except the the money Jack will take away on subsidies to the fossil fuel industry........subsidy....to a multibillion dollar industry....what a joke.

What happens if our dollar strengthens under a Harper majority Colpy, what happens to our competitivness on exports?

What happens when Harper pulls money out of the economy at the same time?

If you take out some of the weaknesses in Jacks platform it's not that bad.

Are you against a small buisness tax?
Are you against a tax break for volunteer firefighters?
Are you against making post secondary educatio more accessable?
Are you against trades people with travel costs?
Are you against protecting farmers incomes?
Are you against hiring food inspectors?
Are you against support for young farmers?
Are you against a job creation tax credit?
Are you against hiring more doctors and nurses?
Are you against a plan to get the mentally ill off the street?
Are you against reducing the cost of medication?
Are you against ending tax claw backs for veterans?
Are you against anti-gang policies?
Are you against hiring more police?
Are you against removing federal sales tax for heating?
Are you against support for seniors and home care?

Etc etc etc....

Also, are you for a corprorate tax cut?
Are you for mandatory minimum sentences?
Are you happy with a billion spent on the G8?
Are you happy with parliment being misled?
Are you happy with the centralised power of the PMO?
Are you happy the enviroment minstry has been effectively gaged?

I don't think you happy about any of these things but you will look the other way for a few other issues, so am I....just not voting for lil Steve....and my guy won't be PM.

I'll bet on it.....I say Jack gets about 40 to 50 seats.....the difference being is if Harper gets his majority or not, if he does get ready for the dollar to go up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you against a small buisness tax?
Yes, I'm against being taxed anymore than I already am.
Are you against a tax break for volunteer firefighters?
Yes, they get paid a great deal, on top of having a full time job as it is.
Are you against making post secondary educatio more accessable?
Well Layton would have to. His taxation of the middle class would put an end to us sending our kids on to higher education.
Are you against trades people with travel costs?
I already get those. I put that in my contracts.
Are you against protecting farmers incomes?
Protect what? If I see one more Escalade, or H2/3, with farmer plates, I'm going to snap.
Are you against hiring food inspectors?
Is anybody? Is there a shortage?
Are you against support for young farmers?
What are those?
Are you against a job creation tax credit?
Already exists.
Are you against hiring more doctors and nurses?
From where?
Are you against a plan to get the mentally ill off the street?
Layton is.
Are you against reducing the cost of medication?
At whose expense?
Are you against ending tax claw backs for veterans?
No, but I can live with it.
Are you against anti-gang policies?
Layton is.
Are you against hiring more police?
Layton is.
Are you against removing federal sales tax for heating?
No, but I can live with it. I use wood.
Are you against support for seniors and home care?
No, but I can live with it.

Also, are you for a corprorate tax cut?
Yes. That makes Canada inviting.
Are you for mandatory minimum sentences?
Yep. Layton isn't.
Are you happy with a billion spent on the G8?
Nope, but I can live with that.
Are you happy with parliment being misled?
No, which is why I won't vote liberal, NDP or Bloc.
Are you happy with the centralised power of the PMO?
No more than I was with cretin.
Are you happy the enviroment minstry has been effectively gaged?
Nope, but I can live with it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I would like to know where the 11 billion in unidentified cuts that are coming in the Tory plan Colpy.