Should Canada have the death penalty again ?

Should Canada have the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
This is my first thread on CC, and I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Should Canada have the death penalty? We haven't had it carried out since 1962 and it has been abolished since 1976.

My thoughts are that we should have it as a deterrent. In my mind, sexual assault of minors (under 16) and murder would be capital crimes.

What are you thoughts?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I'll promise never to support capital punishment, if someone will ensure that multiple sentences are served sequentially instead of concurrently.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The only crime for which I would support capital punishment would be sexual abuse of children.

The problem with capital punishment is that our 'justice' system has shown, over and over again, that it is prone to error and abuse.
I cannot justify executing innocent people because the police are either incompetent, lazy, or hate them.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
So do you know of serial killer in canada that was wrongly convicted?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It doesn't work as a deterrent or there would be no murders in states that retain that penalty.
Not to mention all the wrongful convictions later over turned. How do you over turn a conviction that has been carried out when you've already killed the accused?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is my first thread on CC, and I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Should Canada have the death penalty? We haven't had it carried out since 1962 and it has been abolished since 1976.

My thoughts are that we should have it as a deterrent. In my mind, sexual assault of minors (under 16) and murder would be capital crimes.

What are you thoughts?

I would give it a reserved yes, but it's something you have to be very careful with. I'm not sure that it should be ever used for a single crime, as there is always the outside chance of another David Milgaard case. It's one of those things where the threat is more effective than the actual use. Then when a case like Bernardo or sweet little Karla Homolka comes up you can put it to use and everyone else takes notice. Child molesters are definitely a candidate and I personally believe that anyone who tries to sell dope to kids should also qualify, BUT that could result in hundreds of executions a year and eventually an innocent man is going to be hanged. Life spent in a bunker with minimal comforts, sh*tty food and 10 hours a days breaking rocks may be just as formidable.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Death is not near as important as making sure the worst are NEVER set free.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'll promise never to support capital punishment, if someone will ensure that multiple sentences are served sequentially instead of concurrently.

I think that depends on the circumstances and severity. Sometimes you have people who aren't criminals committing crimes. In cases of crimes like stealing, forgery, even armed robbery in some instances, you have to mete out punishment, but the cheapest and best way in the long run is rehabillitation and where restitution is possible, that is preferable to long terms in the "warehouse".

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
Death is not near as important as making sure the worst are NEVER set free.
It's far cheaper to kill them than if they were in jail for life. A execution might cost a couple grand, but keeping someone in jail from 50 to 80 years of age would cost 100's of thousands if not millions. I believe the current statistic is $100-150k/yr to imprison someone in Canada, which over 30 years would be $3 to $4.5m

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Some people would like you to believe that the more a person is a conservative, the more that person would be in favour of the death penalty.

I disagree. The older I get, the more conservative I get. (Well, at least this follows the accepted formula). However, along the way, I saw innocent people executed (in the U.S.) and innocent people who would have been executed, but were not, only because they were lucky to be Canadians.

Also, along the way, I saw people who were undoubtedly guilty, came to a genuine remorse and on their way to a genuine redemption. Some by religion, some not by religion.

I have come to the conclusion that taking a life is wrong, even if it is the government/law who is doing the taking. In my opinion, Canadians should reject any and all overtures to restore the death penalty.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
In the usa, i have heard that an execution costs more. In canada, i think we should be more cautious than the usa, so i would guess that it will cost more here, too.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Some people would like you to believe that the more a person is a conservative, the more that person would be in favour of the death penalty.

I disagree. The older I get, the more conservative I get. (Well, at least this follows the accepted formula). However, along the way, I saw innocent people executed (in the U.S.) and innocent people who would have been executed, but were not, only because they were lucky to be Canadians.

Also, along the way, I saw people who were undoubtedly guilty, came to a genuine remorse and on their way to a genuine redemption. Some by religion, some not by religion.

I have come to the conclusion that taking a life is wrong, even if it is the government/law who is doing the taking. In my opinion, Canadians should reject any and all overtures to restore the death penalty.

That's a truly eloquent post. A sincere thanks to you for that. I'd buy you a coffee, you made me smile.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
The older i get, the more understanding i have for someone, yet i am less tolerant of their mistakes if that makes any sense

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's far cheaper to kill them than if they were in jail for life.

Actually, it's not. It would be if you took away their right to appeal. I recall reading a study a few years back where Bundy could have been held in prison for over 100 years on what was spent trying to put him to death. Once convicted and sentenced, these people usually have taxpayer funded lawyers working on their behalf.

As for being a deterrent, there is zero evidence to support that belief. If you look at the US and compare the states where is no correlation between having capital punishment and the murder rate. The only real defense of capital punishment is that it allows for vengeance. That helps make some people feel better but I don't think it should be a cornerstone of our justice system.

edited to add - I personally believe that government is generally incompetent and usually screws up everything it tries to do. Since most conservative minded people don't trust government, I always wonder why they are so willing to give the government the right to take their lives.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No, not now, not ever.

Why end a killers life when they suffer much more in a tiny little cell.

Look at Bernardo, 23 hrs a day in a 6x10 cell and everyone else on the inside would love to rip him apart.

I like him where he is.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It's far cheaper to kill them than if they were in jail for life. A execution might cost a couple grand, but keeping someone in jail from 50 to 80 years of age would cost 100's of thousands if not millions. I believe the current statistic is $100-150k/yr to imprison someone in Canada, which over 30 years would be $3 to $4.5m

Do you think the condemned are executed immediately after sentence being handed down? Look at the US for comparison, I believe the average inmate on death row spends near 15-20 years before getting the needle, using millions of dollars worth of legal representation. So you might want to re-think your 'couple grand' estimate.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I gave a yes vote but with some reservations.

My stance on the entire justice system is probably different from many others in that I think its first priority should be on maintaining the safety of the public. Rehabilitation is secondary to that to me, just because the one being rehabilitated has already violated the rights of others, thus mandating their needs should be of secondary importance. Punishment is likewise low because it doesn't accomplish anything positive, save the dubious effect of providing a sort of deterence.

All that being said, the death penalty should only ever be used in cases where there is NO doubt not merely beyond a reasonable doubt. I see it favorably in some instances because it means the offender can never present a danger to the public ever again. I cringe at the thought of a Clifford Olsen ever being allowed out on a clerical error or escape... and we have had cases where a con is mistakenly let out on day parole or some other program and they have killed, which says the system is NOT perfect. Conversely a case like David Milgaard's was one where it should not have been on the table, IMO, simply because there were far too many questions left unanswered.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No.

As long as any further threat is contained, there is no point to executing the guilty.

It doesn't make the situation any "better".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The only way execution would be cheaper would be the Chinese method - conviction for serious crime is emediate execution by bullet to the back of the head. And I'm sure their legal system is even more corrupt than ours but it is cheaper and more efficient!

Put me down as a no on capital punishment.