Ignatieff linked to Iraq war planning

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As a politician in Canada, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has said that he was on the sidelines of the Iraq war, but new information reveals he was on the front lines of pre-invasion planning when he worked in the U.S.

Ignatieff — long known to be a supporter of the decision to invade — was part of an academic advisory team that helped U.S. state department and American military officials conduct strategy sessions.

The academic-turned-politician was singled out in a Pentagon briefing the day before the invasion started.

One of the top officials in Air Command cited Ignatieff's work in helping the military ready comprehensive plans to mitigate collateral damage while preparing for the invasion.

"I personally have been working with The Carr Center for Human Rights," said U.S. Col. Gary Crowder on March 19, 2003. "Michael Ignatieff and Sarah Sewell (another Carr Center employee) and their program are a wonderful program."

Crowder told reporters that he was working with Ignatieff on how to best conduct the war while minimizing civilian deaths.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/2...planning&overridetemplate=SUN_BLOCK_QuickRead

So?

The man was a member of CARR, his participation was concentrated on limiting the loss of life and collateral damage.

The fact that he endorsed the Iraq war, is nullified by the fact that Harper did as well.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's Layton who will make hay with this info.
And it makes no difference who does, it will still be stupid political hay.

I wasn't aware of this, and I will admit, when I saw the cover of the Sun, I did start salivating at the delicious trolling that could be done with the article. Until i read it.

It actually made me kind of respect the man a little more. I'm glad as a Nation, that we didn't go into Iraq. But at that time, i supported it, as did Harper, as did Iggy. At least Iggy was putting his skills/ethics, to good use, trying to do something worthy.

I can't fault the man for that. Kind of reminds me of my Grandfather, not a killer, but still felt the need to join the Army, in WWII, so he became a Medic.

I see both, as noble.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Canada went to war in Iraq??
Canadian Soldiers on exchange with US Units were in Iraq - An armored division, i think, not sure, from Texas i believe had a Canadian General as 2 I/C - 2nd in command for civvies out there.

Why Hillier I believe served in the same unit or a another 1st line unit - Thats the pointy end for civvies - the ones that shoot, futher translation - advance and make contact - etc - unit from Texas in about 98 till 99

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Canadian Soldiers on exchange with US Units were in Iraq - An armored division, i think, not sure, from Texas i believe had a Canadian General as 2 I/C - 2nd in command for civvies out there.

Why Hillier I believe served in the same unit or a another 1st line unit - Thats the pointy end for civvies - the ones that shoot, futher translation - advance and make contact - etc - unit from Texas in about 98 till 99

Yes. The Canadian Navy has been there all along as part of a couple battle groups.

I stand corrected...I didn't know there were Canadians in the Iraq war.....just in Afghanistan....my bad
I thought they were just in support since I had a couple of nephews working on tankers refueling the US carriers

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I stand corrected...I didn't know there were Canadians in the Iraq war.....just in Afghanistan....my bad
I thought they were just in support since I had a couple of nephews working on tankers refueling the US carriers
Nope, we were there in more than just support.

Under Liberal watch. Which is what makes the Liberals bleating about Harper and Iraq, just so much blather.

Nice set up btw.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nope, we were there in more than just support.

Under Liberal watch. Which is what makes the Liberals bleating about Harper and Iraq, just so much blather.

Nice set up btw.
Partisan watch is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who is in Ottawa we are part of the battle groups regardless.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Partisan watch is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who is in Ottawa we are part of the battle groups regardless.
As has been said by many of the local cattle, Canada can withdraw anytime it wants. And Canadian Forces exchange and training programs, are at the leisure of the Command, and not by treaty, or pact.

If Cretien felt that entering the Iraq war was wrong for Canada, it was well within his powers to recall Canadian Troops, deployed with American Units.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
As has been said by many of the local cattle, Canada can withdraw anytime it wants. And Canadian Forces exchange and training programs, are at the leisure of the Command, and not by treaty, or pact.

If Cretien felt that entering the Iraq war was wrong for Canada, it was well within his powers to recall Canadian Troops, deployed with American Units.
While I have no love for Cretien, I mean I really, really don't, I don't really have a problem with him not committing Canada to the war in Iraq and not recalling Canadian Troops deployed with US. I guess in my mind I equate it with the idea that I may not support a decision to go to war but at the same time, I still can and do support the troops.

Yeah, it would have been all accountable and transparent of the government of the time to state this upfront and publicly, but I'm long past believing a day will come when that will ever happen.

Given Iggy's role as stated in the article, I don't really have a problem with that either. Given that his role was to help limit loss of life and collateral damage, I don't think it would even matter whether he endorsed the war at the time or not. I know that he did, but I don't think there is anything wrong with someone applying their skill set to making an invasion as clean as possible. Afterall, he had no part in the decision to go to war in the first place, just a role once the decision had been made.

I have my criticism of the man, but really this is not part of that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not putting Canadians on the ground or in the air in the last Iraq adventure was about the only thing I really liked about Cretien.

We also do air traffic control over Iraq too.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not putting Canadians on the ground or in the air in the last Iraq adventure was about the only thing I really liked about Cretien.

We also do air traffic control over Iraq too.

Well think of doing traffic control

Officer - Stopped Mr. Abdulah Hasan Hussein at intersection of Martyr's Road and Al Queada Blvd
Subject had license but no insurance.

Officer I proceeded to inspect vehicle, noted that subject was wearing an odd sort of vest, bulky and did not seem to fit.
Asked subject where he was going and he informed me, to the local market.

Asked why he had no insurance on the vehicle, he replied he was going to junk it later in the day.

Officer - noted cannisters and a patch work of wiring in the vehicle, running from and to each cannister.

Officer - Informed subject that as his insurance was expired he would have to report to the local Police Station with proof of insurance.

Subject agreed.

Officer - oddly enough the last thing he said to me was that he would give us a heads up.

Weird man.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Why is the assumption that the war against Iraq was wrong? Have you guys forgotten Saddam Hussien?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Did Iggy do something illegal? I am not a Liberal but for heaven sake he has a right to
be part of any legal assembly does he not? Secondly he did nothing illegal, as opposed
to the cabinet minister who changed a document and misled the House Of Commons.
Is it possible that some are out of arguments and are feeling the heat coming after the
present administration heading for another minority. Now just before all the conservative
folk start sputtering, the Liberals are just as afraid as the Tories of the outcome so they
are spreading Fear as their prime motivator. The only people talking about serious
issues is Jack Layton, oh he throws in a few insults but they pail in comparison to the
atmosphere of fear mongering, and the insinuations that Iggy did something illegal or out
right immoral. I suspect both sides have a large supply of mud and I am not into drama
I want my representatives talking about issues as to how we are going to make Canada
a better place to live. I don't belong to the party but I will be voting NDP because at least
they are talking about issues and not about who did this and that and who might do this
and that. Instead Layton is talking about what he would do, and if need be the programs
he would support as an opposition leader.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
..... The fact that he endorsed the Iraq war, is nullified by the fact that Harper did as well.

Actually, while I originally thought they cancelled each other out.... the fact that Harper plagiarized his speech in support of the war kind of puts him down a level:

YouTube - Stephen Harper copies John Howard

^ Though once again, Harper passed the buck onto someone else, didn't accept any fault of his own and had someone else take the fall, like he always does.

Although He and his Connies supported the war for Iraq, He and his Connies couldn't even pull one original idea out of their asses to form their own speech in support of it.