Ignatieff Confesses!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ignatieff Confesses!

He will overthrow the gov't, if Harper does not win a majority.

“If [Conservative Leader Stephen] Harper wins the most seats and forms a government but does not secure the confidence of the House, and I’m assuming Parliament comes back, then it goes to the Governor-General. That’s what happens. That’s how the rules work.
“And then, if the Governor-General wants to call on other parties – or myself, for example – to try and form a government, then we try and form a government. That’s exactly how the rules work and what I’m trying to say to Canadians is I understand the rules, I respect the rules, I’ll follow them to the letter and I’m not going to form a coalition,” he said.
Mr. Harper began the campaign by stating that another Conservative minority is no longer an option; that only a majority mandate will keep him as prime minister. His original line of attack was that the other parties would form a coalition. Mr. Ignatieff continues to rule out a formal coalition – which would involve inviting members of another party to sit in cabinet – but he is clearly open to convincing the Governor-General that he can provide stable government with the support of other parties in the House.

Ignatieff clears the air: Grits could govern if Tories win minority - The Globe and Mail

So there it is folks.

A clear choice.

Harper as PM with a majority, or Ignatieff as PM, beholden to the Bloc Quebecois for his position.

I have to say, I told you so. :)

And I have to give the Count credit. He did step up to the plate and make his intentions known before the vote. Good for him, I'm glad he is not simply stealing the choice from the Canadian people. He is not stupid. He must know this could easily sink his chances. So, he made the ethical choice, and made the peoples' choice clear.

Kudos to the Count.

Now, let's get out there and sink him, for the good of the nation.

A Conservative majority.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
So what?

That is how it works.

The Brits have a coalition right now.

Seems to me we have similar systems.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
No we want the government we voted for to govern this country, not some power hungry group of men who cannot get the confedence of Canadians to rule them .

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No we want the government we voted for to govern this country, not some power hungry group of men who cannot get the confedence of Canadians to rule them .

We?

If 60% of the people don't for Harper that is not a vote of confidence.

Heck, the cons in Britain formed a government with the help of the Liberal democrats.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We?

If 60% of the people don't for Harper that is not a vote of confidence.

Heck, the cons in Britain formed a government with the help of the Liberal democrats.

You sound like Jack,!
85% of the people didn't vote for him either, why should he be allowed to hold any kind of power!

Britian is a loser country, if you like to live in loser countries, you should go live there.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

More people vote for the other parties. Seems to me you just said you don't want the conservatives to form a government. lol

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You sound like Jack,!
85% of the people didn't vote for him either, why should he be allowed to hold any kind of power!

Britian is a loser country, if you like to live in loser countries, you should go live there.

I never said he would have power, it would be shared and he would represent the people who voted for him as he does in opposition....just like every party does.

I'm not surprised you have problems with democracy.

Loser country? Is that best you can do?

That's hilarious.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So what?

That is how it works.

The Brits have a coalition right now.

Seems to me we have similar systems.

If the Brits had a coalition with Sinn Fein, you might have a point.

But they don't.

For the 33rd time, I have no problems with a coalition.

I have a problem with a government beholden to the separatists. It is simply stupid. At the very least it empowers and enhances the prestige of the BQ in the eyes of Quebecers, and that in itself is NOT good for Canada.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If the Brits had a coalition with Sinn Fein, you might have a point.

But they don't.

For the 33rd time, I have no problems with a coalition.

I have a problem with a government beholden to the separatists. It is simply stupid. At the very least it empowers and enhances the prestige of the BQ in the eyes of Quebecers, and that in itself is NOT good for Canada.

Harper has no ground to complain about this.

He was ready to get in bed with them, perhaps not in a coalition but in votes.

The Bloc were not going to be in government the last time, only in vote support. I never heard about anybody in the Bloc getting a cabinet position....it was wise political spin.

From wikki:

"The agreement outlined a formal coalition consisting of two opposition parties, the Liberal Party and the New Democratic Party. The Bloc Québécois agreed to support the proposed coalition on confidence matters for 18 months. In the end, parliament was suspended and the coalition dispersed."

In both cases Quebec would have gotten some treats just like they did in the last budget when Harper dangled the HST rebate money in front of voters.

Last edited:

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I get a kick out of those people who compare us to the Brits.
The Brits make lousy policy, are a loser country and many of the Brits want to immigrate to Canada.

And now we have losers in our country who want us to follow what the Brits do, now is that dumb or what ???

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Harper has no ground to complain about this.

He was ready to get in bed with them, perhaps not in a coalition but in votes.

The Bloc were not going to be in government the last time, only in vote support. I never heard about anybody in the Bloc getting a cabinet position....it was wise political spin.

In both cases Quebec would have gotten some treats just like they did in the last budget when Harper dangled the HST rebate money in front of voters.

It makes no difference if the BQ has an "official" coalition.....the Liberals will be dependent on them for their votes, and will have to consult with them in secret before every major issue comes to Parliament.

Now, if you can't see the blackmail that is inevitable in such a situation.......

Harper did not go to bed with them. Had he, I would be as outraged with him as I now am with Ignatieff and company.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It makes no difference if the BQ has an "official" coalition.....the Liberals will be dependent on them for their votes, and will have to consult with them in secret before every major issue comes to Parliament.

Now, if you can't see the blackmail that is inevitable in such a situation.......

Harper did not go to bed with them. Had he, I would be as outraged with him as I now am with Ignatieff and company.

Oh bullcrap!

You'd still be sending them your checks and voting for him.

He would have done it and has done it.

You are making something out of nothing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I prefer a Harper Minority - Perhaps this time he will learn to play well in the sandbox.

Unfortunately, what Ignatieff has made clear is there will be no such thing as a Harper minority.

It is either a Harper majority, or a Liberal gov't with a weak leader beholden to the BQ.

Nothing in between.

Harper

or Ignatieff and Gilles, with Layton as a weak third.

Take your pick.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Unfortunately, what Ignatieff has made clear is there will be no such thing as a Harper minority.

It is either a Harper majority, or a Liberal gov't with a weak leader beholden to the BQ.

Nothing in between.

Harper

or Ignatieff and Gilles, with Layton as a weak third.

Take your pick.

Fear monger....:roll:

What he said was if the government loses the confidence of the house the speaker goes to the official oppostion to see if they can form a government.

I learned that in grade 9.....it dosen't take an intellectual elite like yourself to get that.

It's Iggy's hidden agenda....oogy boogy boogy.:lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

What he said was if the government loses the confidence of the house the speaker goes to the official oppostion to see if they can form a government.

I learned that in grade 9.....it dosen't take an intellectual elite like yourself to get that.

Oh, gimme a break! :)

The guy (to his credit) has told us what he intends to do......from the horse's mouth!

And you still deny it!

Oh my, Avro....tch tch.

The Count's agenda is not hidden.

It is Harper....or The Three Stooges......

Actually the two stooges and the puppet-master. Gilles is nobody's stooge.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

It goes to the GG to decide, not the speaker.